Westworld Season Three (UHD Blu-ray) review

Westworld Season Three (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »

Studio: HBO / Warner
Release Date: November 17, 2019
Rating: Not Rated
Film: 4/5

Plot
Following the aftermath of last season’s Westworld massacre, “hosts” Dolores, Maeve, Bernard and Charlotte Hale begin a new chapter – outside of the park – exploring the “real world” and who they will become in the wake of their liberation. Over the course of eight hour-long episodes, Season Three finds Dolores prepared to wage war on humanity and Bernard trying desperately to stop her, while Maeve reunites with familiar faces in a new realm – and all discover that the world outside is as full of deception and predetermination as the one they’ve always known.

My Thoughts
Westworld has been a show that I’ve both loved and hated for its first two seasons. The premise is outstanding, and the world building is, well, out of this world. Unfortunately, the story lines are a bit of a mess and if you aren’t paying very close attention 100% of the time, you’ll no doubt miss something that will have you scratching your head later. After sitting down for Season Three, I feel much the same way. In fact, even though it had only been a little over a year since my wife and I watched Season Two, we had to compare notes as to what exactly happened to a character previously because neither of us could remember.

Confusing matters is that characters you once thought dead—or at least that was what you remembered—aren’t or have been replaced by hosts. Furthermore, it turns out that the rules have changed a bit on who can occupy the hosts shells, which just throws another curveball into the mix.

The most impressive aspect of Season Three is the outside world environments, which look spectacular. Furthermore, the technological advancements in the future world are something to aspire to with driverless cars and crystal-clear views of big cities—there’s no smog cluttering the vistas. As a fan of Breaking Bad, I’m glad to see Aaron Paul in another high-profile project and his portrayal as Dolores’ sidekick is fun to watch.

The UHD presentation from HBO is extremely good with the eight episodes spread out over three discs given them plenty of room to breathe. A lot of the show takes place in nighttime environments which allows the shadow detail to shine and the flyovers of the cities look spectacular in both the daytime and night. The Atmos track is just as impressive and features some great directional queues from the overhead speakers that make the most of the immersive format.

Video 9/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features (Housed on Blu-ray):

8 ONE-HOUR EPISODES
  • Parce Domine
  • The Winter Line
  • The Absence of Field
  • The Mother of Exiles
  • Genre
  • Decoherence
  • Passed Pawn
  • Crisis Theory

BONUS FEATURES
  • We Live in a Technocracy – Exclusive to 4K UHD Combo Pack, Blu-ray and DVD
  • Rico - Exclusive to 4K UHD Combo Pack, Blu-ray and DVD
  • A Vision for the Future – Exclusive to 4K UHD Combo Pack, Blu-ray and DVD
  • Westworld on Location – Home Entertainment Exclusive
  • Escape from Westworld
  • Exploring War World
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: Parce Domine
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: The Absence of Field
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: The Mother of Exiles
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: Genre
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: Decoherence
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: Passed Pawn
  • Creating Westworld's Reality: Crisis Theory
  • Welcome to Westworld: Evan Rachel Wood & Aaron Paul – Analysis
  • Welcome to Westworld: Evan Rachel Wood & Aaron Paul - Who Said It?
  • Welcome to Westworld: Thandie Newton & Tessa Thompson – Analysis
  • Welcome to Westworld: Thandie Newton & Tessa Thompson - Who Said It?
  • 4K UHD / Blu-ray / Digital Code

Conclusion
I didn’t love Season Two of this show and wasn’t sure if I’d give Season Three a shot, but I’m glad I did. While I found it frustrating at times with the convoluted story, the payoff is worth it at the end. Frankly, if you’re new to the show it begs to be binge watched because not having a year between each season will allow you to follow the storyline without having so many WTF moments like my wife and I experienced. Recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

Re: Westworld Season Three (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Aaron Paul was a great cast addition for season 3.   His character's story line as well.

I will wait for the sale price to drop under $30 and then buy.   
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal