Schitt's Creek: The Complete Collection (DVD) review

Schitt's Creek: The Complete Collection (DVD) review
« on: November 11, 2020, 06:44:52 PM »

Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: November 10, 2019
Rating: Not Rated
Film: 4/5

Plot
With 9 Primetime Emmy® Award wins in 2020, Schitt’s Creek is a smash hit with critics and audiences alike. Created by and starring Eugene Levy and Daniel Levy, this irreverent and original character-driven comedy centers on the “reversal of fortune” story of the once filthy-rich Rose family. Suddenly finding themselves broke, the Roses are forced to rebuild their empire in Schitt’s Creek, a small town they once purchased as a joke. As the seasons go on, we see the family thrive in a place they begin to call home, ready to take their personal relationships, business pursuits and, for some, exit strategies, to the next level.

My Thoughts
I stumbled upon Schitt’s Creek when looking for a new comedy on Netflix. My wife and I watched the first episode and thought it was just OK and decided to give it at least three or four episodes to see if it “clicked” with us. Needless to say, after the initial trial, we were hooked. It’s the classic fish out of water story of a once uber-rich family having to slum it in a small town aptly named Schitt’s Creek after the IRS confiscates all of their personal wealth due to tax fraud from their accountant.

What I really like about the show is it’s not the typical sitcom where one episode doesn’t tie in with the rest of the series. This is a narrative that continues through six seasons and each of the characters grow in their own way during that time. The supporting cast provides a lot of laughs and while Eugene Levy is the star, it’s really a family affair that includes both his real-life son and daughter in the show.                                             

Video 4/5

Audio 4/5 (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Special Features:

• Inside Schitt’s Creek (Seasons 1-4)
  • Deleted Scenes (Season’s 1-3)
  • Bloopers (Season’s 1-3)
  • Behind the Episode (Seasons 4-6)
  • Featurettes (Seasons 4-6)
  • Outtakes (Seasons 4-5)
  • “A Schitt’s Creek Farewell” Documentary (Season 6)

Conclusion
The trailer posted above does a good job at setting up the premise for the show and it’s first four seasons are hilarious. Like most sitcoms, it starts to lose its luster the last two seasons, but it ends quite well with plenty of laughs to be had. If you subscribe to Netflix, you can watch the show for free and I definitely would give it a try. Just be sure to give it a few episodes to get used to the dry humor and to understand the main characters flaws and ambitions, it will be well worth the time investment. Recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

Re: Schitt's Creek: The Complete Collection (DVD) review
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:59:13 PM »
I wondered if this would be any good. Thanks for the review. I will watch this one. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:01:37 PM »
Heh....my wife and I gave up after the second episode. Maybe we should have stuck it out but it looked to be trying a bit too hard to be funny.

Thanks for the review, David, none the less.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:41:41 PM »
I had seen the listing and IMDB rating/reviews, so it was on my radar. Then a couple of friends recommended it, so my wife & I gave it a try. @TRainH2O we had a very similar reaction after the first 2 episodes - they were not sympathetic and it was hard to like them. The mayor character felt very stereotyped and so on. But we stuck with it and pretty shortly after that were loving it. The annoying, entitled brats will become endearing and quirky in a while - there are real character arcs.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 10:42:35 PM »
Heh....my wife and I gave up after the second episode. Maybe we should have stuck it out but it looked to be trying a bit too hard to be funny.

Thanks for the review, David, none the less.
Give it a few more episodes and I think you'll enjoy it. I wanted to stop after the first two as well, but my wife insisted we keep watching it. Sure enough, she was right (that gets really old!). 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 10:44:30 PM »
Now, if I can just convince my wife to give Better Off Ted a few episodes. (Though that one only got 2 seasons, sadly, it's brilliant.)

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 01:32:08 AM »
Now, if I can just convince my wife to give Better Off Ted a few episodes. (Though that one only got 2 seasons, sadly, it's brilliant.
Paul, is that on Netflix? I haven't heard of it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
Paul, is that on Netflix? I haven't heard of it.
It seems to be available only on Hulu, for streaming. Unless you purchase of course. I don't have Hulu, and the seasons were just $10 each on Amazon video so I bought both seasons. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal