AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Dealers, it's not always easy.

Barry

Dealers, it's not always easy.
« on: October 31, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »

I am adding Atmos and 4k video to my system and therefore I was redoing my “media room.”  I have a regular dealer, who does not always carry the brands I want so I check the products out at other dealers.
I was looking at a particular processor, 2 Pair Ceiling speakers that would match my others; A pair of new interconnects and a pair of speaker wires, and upgrading my 3 channel amp to five channels. (What I decided on is not the point, so we don’t have to get into that. But sadly, I can’t have 4 overheads in my room)

My usual guy came in and he gave a price. But I would have to buy the amp upgraded from another dealer, he did not handle that brand. (It turns out the manufacturer will handle it directly.)

I had a someone from another almost local store, (who handled the amp) and he is the reason for this post.  In addition to what I wanted, he insisted on:

My current surrounds and back are matching in-wall speakers. He wants to add two more 2-Way Surround Loudspeakers on my back wall. (What he didn’t know, is that I had two way speakers in the rear and HATED them.
That, of course, would mean more interconnects, speaker wires and amps.

Then, he insisted that I get a $900 remote control system, which I don’t want on need. I like a simple Logitech Harmony remote that I can program, not a remote for the entire house.

He then wanted to rewire the entire surround/back speakers and amp to make them less visible on the wall that I have. For me this was totally unnecessary.

Finally, he wanted to replace all the front wiring for my front speakers (three, with center) and two subs. His labor was  $2,500.

So it would cost me, with tax, roughly $9,000-10,000 more to go with the second guy. But what surprised me is what followed. When I spoke to them about it, they were relentless. It was “You must have this…” You will need the new remote…” After 90 minutes or so I gave up. They felt by arguing every point to ad Infinium they could make a bigger sale. I just wanted to leave.

It will take me a bit longer for him to get everything, but I am using, again, my usual dealer!

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Dealers, it's not always easy.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 03:21:24 PM »
That's ridiculous. I hate sales people that try the hard oversell. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
This is why I'm a DIY kind of guy. I'm currently installing some new shelving in my media room because I have too many damn discs and instead of buying something that would "almost" work, I decided to custom make my own that "will" work. Granted, I've spent about 20 hours this week buying the materials, cutting everything, priming them, and putting two coats of finish. Now today I get to finally put them up (2 down, 3 more to go). I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Sorry for all your trouble Barry. If I lived closer, I could help you out!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
Thanks David.

I am too am generally a Do it Yourself guy, but I could NOT possibly put those darn speakers in the ceiling by myself.  Also, I have gotten older and those amps, secretly, have gotten heavier. Seriously, I sent the 1500 back to Krell today and I needed someone to help me lift it.  I did not need that help 10 years ago.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:54:30 PM »
Thanks David.

I am too am generally a Do it Yourself guy, but I could NOT possibly put those darn speakers in the ceiling by myself.  Also, I have gotten older and those amps, secretly, have gotten heavier. Seriously, I sent the 1500 back to Krell today and I needed someone to help me lift it.  I did not need that help 10 years ago.
Time to hit the gym :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »
I usually know exactly what I want when it comes to upgrades. Many times I will ask for opinions just to make sure I am not missing anything.

However, if I ever have a pushy salesman (which I rarely have) I walk away. I put much more weight into the advice that this group provides and I know that you do too, Barry.

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:38:47 AM »
Time to hit the gym :)
Isn't that the truth, at least in my case. I've gotten lazy. ::)

Barry

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »
I’ve gotten old. 

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 10:22:40 PM »
I’ve gotten old.
Beats the alternative. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Barry

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 11:10:42 PM »
      < A Silly car story.  It kinda fits here.

I use a scooter to get around when I have to walk more than a few blocks. (https://www.pridemobility.com/go-go-travel-mobility/go-go-lx-with-cts-suspension-4-wheel/) I really need it.  It comes apart, in four pieces and I could put it in my former car’s trunk with some effort.  The car was nearly a decade old.

While I was getting my yearly inspection a couple of yeas ago, I started looking at the new version of my car, which was incredibly modern.  The salesman, who sold me my last car, came over and spent over an hour showing tit to me.

But when I opened the trunk it was the same size as mine. I told the dealer why I would have wanted a bigger trunk. Without missing a beat, he immediately took me over to a SUV, which cost 405 less.

Of course we wanted to make a sale. But they usually want you to buy the most expensive car. Here, he was actually concerned about what I needed and matched me up perfectly. Yes, he made the sale and I got the car I needed.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
      < A Silly car story.  It kinda fits here.

I use a scooter to get around when I have to walk more than a few blocks. (https://www.pridemobility.com/go-go-travel-mobility/go-go-lx-with-cts-suspension-4-wheel/) I really need it.  It comes apart, in four pieces and I could put it in my former car’s trunk with some effort.  The car was nearly a decade old.

While I was getting my yearly inspection a couple of yeas ago, I started looking at the new version of my car, which was incredibly modern.  The salesman, who sold me my last car, came over and spent over an hour showing tit to me.

But when I opened the trunk it was the same size as mine. I told the dealer why I would have wanted a bigger trunk. Without missing a beat, he immediately took me over to a SUV, which cost 405 less.

Of course we wanted to make a sale. But they usually want you to buy the most expensive car. Here, he was actually concerned about what I needed and matched me up perfectly. Yes, he made the sale and I got the car I needed.
I hope it was a female salesperson ;) :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
       I thought I put one of my dealer stories.  From 1988 or so.

CD players were fairly new and my friend wanted to buy one, perhaps a Sony for about $500 ($750 in todays dollars.) So we went to a store in Mamaroneck NY. When we walked, n a special room, enclosed in see through class, the owner was listening to the new Wilson Audio Modular Monitor.
We asked to hear it, as it was already on.  The dealer did not want to set up the Sony, but instead, in separate room, set up a new Krell CD player that sold for $11,000 ($15,000 in today’s money). Although my friend could never afford it, we did go and listen. We were very disappointed by the way.
Well, we came out of the room and were ready to buy the Sony.  We, again, asked to listen, with him to the Wilson speakers, which were still on. He rudely refused.  When he went to get the Sony we just left.  If that is what they are before the sale, gosh knows after.

To this day we refer to this incident as “the Silence of the Wamms!”

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 03:02:28 PM »
      I thought I put one of my dealer stories.  From 1988 or so.

CD players were fairly new and my friend wanted to buy one, perhaps a Sony for about $500 ($750 in todays dollars.) So we went to a store in Mamaroneck NY. When we walked, n a special room, enclosed in see through class, the owner was listening to the new Wilson Audio Modular Monitor.
We asked to hear it, as it was already on.  The dealer did not want to set up the Sony, but instead, in separate room, set up a new Krell CD player that sold for $11,000 ($15,000 in today’s money). Although my friend could never afford it, we did go and listen. We were very disappointed by the way.
Well, we came out of the room and were ready to buy the Sony.  We, again, asked to listen, with him to the Wilson speakers, which were still on. He rudely refused.  When he went to get the Sony we just left.  If that is what they are before the sale, gosh knows after.

To this day we refer to this incident as “the Silence of the Wamms!”

It's no wonder specialty shops have gone the way of the dodo bird with service like that!
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal