V for Vendetta (UHD Blu-ray) review

V for Vendetta (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: October 30, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release: November 3, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V for Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Portman) who is rescued from a dire situation by a masked vigilante (Weaving) known only as “V.”  Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression.  As Evey uncovers the truth about V’s mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself – and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with fear, cruelty and corruption.

My Thoughts
Remember, remember the 5th of November. The significance of this date in England dates back to 1605, when a Catholic Terrorist by the name of Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament in protest to how Catholics were treated. Fast forward to the near future and meet V (Hugo Weaving), our tragic Hero, who struts around town wearing a Guy Fawkes mask who is a terrorist in his own right, or at least the totalitarian government has labeled him that way.

The film starts late on November 4th, with Evey (Natalie Portman) breaking curfew to go and visit a male co-worker. Victimized by the authorities and in fear of her life, V comes to the rescue. This is the beginning of a strange relationship where Evey discovers there is more to V than meets the eye and discovers an inner strength within herself that she never knew was there.

Hugo Weaving is masterful in his portrayal of the villain/anti-hero in this film and Portman excels as well. The role required her to shave her head on-screen, which she willingly did to transform her character. Normally I’m not “in” to bald women, but Portman looks as sexy as ever without her locks.

I have to say, Warner has been doing a great job with its 4K release of late and this one is another notch in their belt. It sports a brand new 4K master and looks fantastic. In fact, it’s a huge upgrade over the 2008 Blu-ray as the shadows are more inviting, the blacks are deeper, and the color saturation is accurate and bold. While not perfect, it's pretty darn close.

The Atmos track is outstanding from beginning to end. Atmospheric effects place you into the scenes and the LFE is to die for. Dialog is always intelligible and I really appreciated Dario Marianelli’s score even more this time around.

Video 9/10 

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

New Special Features on 4K UHD Disc:
  • V for Vendetta Unmasked
  • Natalie Portman's Audition: Explore the depth of Evey's character with Natalie Portman's
never-before-seen audition
  • James McTeigue & Lana Wachowski in Conversation

Previously released Special Features on Blu-ray Disc:
  • Freedom! Forever!: Making V for Vendetta – The cast and crew of V for Vendetta reveal the intense filmmaking process
  • Designing the Near Future – A look at the artistic process of creating the frightening future world of V
  • Remember, Remember: Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot – The history behind the story of Guy Fawkes
  • England Prevails: V for Vendetta and the New Wave in Comics – The origins of the original V story is illuminated
  • Cat Power Montage – Cat Power song played under images of the film
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Easter Egg: Hidden Bonus: Saturday Night Live Digital Short

Conclusion
I’ve watched this film three or four times over the past 14 years and it never seems to get out. The production value is excellent, the stars shine, and the presentation in 4K is the best it’s ever looked or sounded. If you’re a fan of the film, definitely check it out in 4K.

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels 
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Harro

Re: V for Vendetta (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »
I have been waiting for this title. I am glad to read that it does great on both audio and video.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 05:31:04 PM »
I have been waiting for this title. I am glad to read that it does great on both audio and video.
Same here - just waiting for my copy to ship ! 

Thanks David - can't wait. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »
Greetings,

Yeah, this one is a home run Dave. Nice review buddy..

Regards,

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 10:50:24 AM »
Greetings,

Yeah, this one is a home run Dave. Nice review buddy..

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal