300 (UHD Blu-ray) review

300 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release: October 6, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
The epic graphic novel by Frank Miller (Sin City) assaults the screen with the blood, thunder and awe of its ferocious visual style faithfully recreated in an intense blend of live-action and CGI animation. Retelling the ancient Battle of Thermopylae, it depicts the titanic clash in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) and his massive Persian army. Experience history at swordpoint. And moviemaking with a cutting edge.  

My Thoughts
From a historical perspective there are certain liberties Miller took with the story, but this isn't a rarity in Hollywood. Technically speaking the film is astounding. Shot exclusively with blue and green screen backdrops, it looks amazing on Blu-ray and slightly better in 4K. Unfortunately, I think the action is a little too bloody and violent, but since it retells the story of a brutal battle, I guess I shouldn't expect anything different. Regardless, the violence did fit the story and I don't think it could have been told any other way.

The film has been released twice on Blu-ray and received high marks for both audio and video. The stylistic approach by Snyder makes this one a tough one to grade due to intentionally crushed blacks, heightened contrast, and heavy grain. Furthermore, the color saturation has a washed-out look bordering on sepia. The audio track has been upgraded to Dolby Atmos and the added dimension of the overhead speakers definitely takes things to the next level. Discrete effects hit you from every direction and the bass is the die for.

Video 9/10 

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

300 Ultra HD disc contains the following special features:
  • Commentary with director/co-writer Zack Snyder, co-writer Kurt Johnstad and director of photography Larry Fong

300 Blu-ray disc contains the following special features:
  • Commentary with director/co-writer Zack Snyder, co-writer Kurt Johnstad and director of photography Larry Fong
  • The 300: Fact or Fiction
  • Who Were the Spartans? The Warriors of 300
  • Preparing for Battle: The Original Test Footage
  • The Frank Miller Tapes
  • Making of 300
  • Making 300 in Images
  • Webisode: Production Design
  • Webisode: Wardrobe
  • Webisode: Stunt Work
  • Webisode: Lena Headey
  • Webisode: Adapting the Graphic Novel
  • Webisode: Gerard Butler
  • Webisode: Rodrigo Santoro
  • Webisode: Training the Actors
  • Webisode: Culture of the Sparta City/State
  • Webisode: A Glimpse from the Set: Making 300
  • Webisode: Scene Studies from 300
  • Webisode: Fantastic Characters of 300
  • Deleted Scenes with introduction by Zack Snyder

Conclusion
When this hit Blu-ray 13 years ago it became one of the best-selling titles on the new format and Warner promptly went for the double-dip due to its popularity. To their credit, they did offer an abundance of special features on the rerelease for the fans and put the film in a “Digitbook” format. I’m not surprised to see this on UHD, although it is an upconversion of the 2K master. Regardless, the Atmos track is worth the upgrade alone and there is a slight uptick in detail on the video encode. Recommended for fans.

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels 
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: 300 (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
awesome....love this movie

was ATMOS that big an upgrade?

might have to add this to my collection
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:30:22 PM »
" From a historical perspective there are certain liberties Miller took with the story, but this isn't a rarity in Hollywood. " -

This movie was from a graphic novel - not the history channel. Are you going to add to the picture / Atmos part of the review? Seems like Ralph found it an upgrade. I have it ordered. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:45:30 PM »
ive read 3 reviews so far and all rave about the ATMOS upgrade....that alone is worth the price

SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
" From a historical perspective there are certain liberties Miller took with the story, but this isn't a rarity in Hollywood. " -

This movie was from a graphic novel - not the history channel. Are you going to add to the picture / Atmos part of the review? Seems like Ralph found it an upgrade. I have it ordered.
Second paragraph under "My Thoughts" :) Any yes, I realize it isn't the History Channel, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard people refer to a movie as "historical fact" when it's nowhere near reality (JFK comes to mind). 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
Second paragraph under "My Thoughts" :) Any yes, I realize it isn't the History Channel, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard people refer to a movie as "historical fact" when it's nowhere near reality (JFK comes to mind).
We joke about that. I liked " U571 ", but movies like that, " based on a true story ", the only part that is true is - 

1. There was a submarine.
2. It was in an ocean.
3. There was a war. 

Everything else is strictly fictional entertainment ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal