The Silencing (Blu-ray) review

The Silencing (Blu-ray) review
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:19:59 PM »

Studio: Lionsgate  
 Release Date: September 29, 2020
Rating:  R
Film:  2.5/5

Plot
 A reformed hunter (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and a sheriff (Annabelle Wallis) are caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse when they set out to track a killer who may have kidnapped the hunter’s daughter five years ago.

My Thoughts
 I’m always in the mood for a good thriller, so when I saw the press release come across my desk I thought, “Why not?” While there are moments when this is entertaining, the story takes one too many twists and stretches logic a bit too far on too many occasions. I really liked Coster-Waldau’s performance but found Wallis’ to be a bit uneven by comparison. Thankfully, the screenplay runs a tight 95 minutes, so it never really drags or wears out its welcome. It does a good job of dropping some clues early on to help connect the dots and while I had my suspicions of who was the killer, I was never 100% sure until just before the big reveal.

The presentation is about what you’d expect these days on Blu-ray and digital cameras being used in the production. The image is clean and vibrant and features a lot of detail. The soundtrack is nothing special, but there are some moments where the surround speakers are put to good use.

Video 4.5/5 

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

·        Making The Silencing
·        Creating a Weapon: The Silencing Spear
·        Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 While not a great thriller by any stretch, this kept me interested throughout and it wasn’t a complete waste of time. I’m not sure this is something many people would revisit though once they know the outcome unlike a film such as Silence of the Lambs, which never grows old.    

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal