First Cow (Blu-ray) review

First Cow (Blu-ray) review
« on: September 07, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »

Studio: Lionsgate  
 Release Date: September 8, 2020
Rating:  PG-13
Film:  2/5

Plot
 Two travelers, on the run from a band of vengeful hunters in the 1820s Northwest, dream of striking it rich — but their tenuous plan to make their fortune on the frontier comes to rely on the secret use of a wealthy businessman’s prized dairy cow. With their scheme landing somewhere between honest ingenuity and pure grift, renowned filmmaker Kelly Reichardt finds a graceful and deeply moving origin story of America in their unlikely friendship and fragile life at the margins.

My Thoughts
 With 96% on Rotten Tomatoes, I had high expectations for this going in. Sadly, they weren’t even close to being met. While not a bad film, it’s glacial pacing wore out its welcome and the entire family was getting restless as we plodded through it. The story itself has some interest and the performances were good, but geezus, it’s just too damn slow to keep you entertained for two hours. 90 minutes, maybe, but two hours is just too much.

The film is shot with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, which I can’t say I’m a fan of at all. What is it, 1953? Granted, the story takes place in the 1800s so maybe they were trying to give it an old-style look in the process.

Video 4/5 

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

·        “A Place in This World” Featurette
·        Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 Maybe I would have enjoyed this better if I weren’t so tired, but the pacing is poisonously slow and tried the patience of the three other people that watched this with me, so I can’t say it was just me. It takes nearly 10 minutes before the first word of dialog is uttered and within the first 30 minutes there can’t be one page worth of it in total, so to say it takes a while to get going is an understatement. If you like slow burns, then you will probably enjoy this more than we did.  

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: First Cow (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:59:48 PM »
You should have listened to Bart Simpson!!
("Don't have a cow, man!")
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal