AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New JVC Theater Optimizer

Re: New JVC Theater Optimizer
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
Craig/Mike,

Not sure how much pull you have with JVC, but given the effort that have put into lens memory, perhaps you can pass on the following feedback:

**It Would be highly beneficial to have screen size tied to installation mode (i.e., you can set the screen size for each installation mode).

This would ensure that the calculations the projector does for theater optimization are always maximized for people that use the Zoom method for scope screens.  For example, in my current setup, my 16:9 equivalent in scope mode is 130”.  My hdtv screen size (black bars left and right) is 98”.  I assume that big of a difference would have an effect on theater optimizer.
I second this request, but I'm not sure they have enough memory to accomplish this. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
Craig/Mike,

Not sure how much pull you have with JVC, but given the effort that have put into lens memory, perhaps you can pass on the following feedback:

**It Would be highly beneficial to have screen size tied to installation mode (i.e., you can set the screen size for each installation mode).

This would ensure that the calculations the projector does for theater optimization are always maximized for people that use the Zoom method for scope screens.  For example, in my current setup, my 16:9 equivalent in scope mode is 130”.  My hdtv screen size (black bars left and right) is 98”.  I assume that big of a difference would have an effect on theater optimizer.
We're all guessing at this point, but in trying to work through this, I'm not sure this would be necessary.

If you calculate the effective 16:9 diagonal of the output image when zooming to fill the width of a scope screen, the Projector then has a fixed value, since it knows what the zoom and lens focus settings are from internal data.  It uses this to calculate throw distance, among other things.

If you then change the Zoom, I would guess that the Projector would "know" this and be able to recalculate based on the original reference point, and adjust its output accordingly.

I will be very curious to see if it is sophisticated enough to incorporate Anamorphic Mode settings as well, knowing that this is a different situation in terms of available brightness, relative to the 'usual' way a scope image would be output.

Major props to JVC for doing this, and I'm reasonably confident that the execution of this concept will address most reasonable concerns.

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
We're all guessing at this point, but in trying to work through this, I'm not sure this would be necessary.

If you calculate the effective 16:9 diagonal of the output image when zooming to fill the width of a scope screen, the Projector then has a fixed value, since it knows what the zoom and lens focus settings are from internal data.  It uses this to calculate throw distance, among other things.

If you then change the Zoom, I would guess that the Projector would "know" this and be able to recalculate based on the original reference point, and adjust its output accordingly.

I will be very curious to see if it is sophisticated enough to incorporate Anamorphic Mode settings as well, knowing that this is a different situation in terms of available brightness, relative to the 'usual' way a scope image would be output.

Major props to JVC for doing this, and I'm reasonably confident that the execution of this concept will address most reasonable concerns.
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this as well. I want to see it in action and then do some trial and error to see which was works best. Regardless, we are playing with house money here and didn't expect another upgrade to come along. Once again, kudos to JVC!
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
Hi. Not the case.  Apple TV is set to only output hdr, as is my pan you player.  HDfury flashes the signal data for the first twenty seconds.  Correcting the issue takes only disabling DV on the Apple TV.  In either case, time will tell.  Looking forward to the update.

An HDfury device can trick the Apple TV 4K and other Dolby Vision capable players into sending Low Latency Dolby Vision (LLDV) to HDR10-only display devices.  A number of JVC e-Shift projector owners are doing this and getting good results.    We just configure an LLDV EDID in the HDfury to present to the player.

In order for the picture to be correct, you need to apply an HDR10 picture mode to the incoming LLDV signal.    Dolby Labs implemented LLDV for Sony TVs and it turns out that it follows the PQ curve quite nicely so we can apply HDR10 processing to it.

You can accomplish this by having the HDfury send custom HDR10 metadata on top of the LLDV output so the JVC thinks it is HDR10.  An HDfury Vertex 2, Diva, or Maestro makes this easy since they have an option to only send HDR metadata when the input to the device is LLDV. 

Or you can select an HDR mode manually.

Regarding the blurb about Dolby Vision discs in the press release, I figure it might have been a marketing type who wrote the release and didn't know better.   So it works with Dolby Vision discs too? We must add that to the press release! Not aware that all DV discs have a HDR10 base layer.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:57:29 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSMike

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »
Craig/Mike,

Too late. The firmware is basically completed and is being tested already.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
Too late. The firmware is basically completed and is being tested already.
How does it handle scope users?  Thanks.

AVSMike

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
I am not testing it, so can't answer that question.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 12:53:29 AM »

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hands-jvc-s-new-theater-optimizer-function

When you set the screen size and gain in the Theater Optimizer, it is linked to the Installation Mode you currently have selected. So if you use more than one Install mode (say one for scope and one for 16x9), just make sure you update the Theater Optimizer for the install mode you are in. Once you set it, it is linked to that Install Mode and doesn't require you to go back in and change anything in the theater optimizer.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 01:13:00 AM »
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hands-jvc-s-new-theater-optimizer-function

When you set the screen size and gain in the Theater Optimizer, it is linked to the Installation Mode you currently have selected. So if you use more than one Install mode (say one for scope and one for 16x9), just make sure you update the Theater Optimizer for the install mode you are in. Once you set it, it is linked to that Install Mode and doesn't require you to go back in and change anything in the theater optimizer.
That is awesome to hear. JVC is amazing for doing this!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2020, 08:48:33 PM »
Any news on when the update will be available?

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 08:51:00 PM »
Any news on when the update will be available?
Sometime next month. My guess will be the latter half of the month. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
This firmware update will be like an early Xmas present ! :)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 10:38:29 PM »
Thanks.  Does anyone know of any tweaks?

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal