AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Replacement for Krell 707

Barry

Replacement for Krell 707
« on: August 25, 2020, 02:50:10 PM »
Below is my audio/video system.

I would like to replace my Krell 707 pre-amp, which I bought about 15 years ago  for many reasons, do you have a suggestion of what would be good for this system.

(The Krell does NOT do a 4K on my system, even with their 4K component upgrade. Of course there is no Dolby Atmos.  Many of the streaming devices, (with updated audio) don’t work. And their service is not what it used to be. It’s painful, but I am considering another component.)

Amplifier (center)        Krell Evolution 400e
Amplifier (left/right)    Krell Evolution 600e
Amplifier (3 channel)  Krell S-1500
4K Disc Player    Panasonic UB9000
CD/SACD Player Krell Cipher
Controller  Krell 707 & 4K/HDMI Switcher
FM Tuner  Day Sequerra FM Reference
HDTV Receiver  Verizon
Internet Radio    Sonos
Rear & Back Surround Revel W 990
Speakers    Revel Ultima Salon 2
      Center Channel    Revel Ultima Voice 2
Sub-Woofer        SVS SB-13 Ultras
Streaming  Amazon Fire Cube (2nd Gen)
Turntable  VPI 19 Mark 4
    Tonearm        SME 309
    Turntable Stylus      Audioquest 404i
    Phono Pre-Amp      Krell KPE
    VPI Synchronous Drive System
    Record Cleaner        VPI 17
Universal Remote Control    MX850
Video Projector  JVC DLA-RS3000
Video Screen      Stuart StudioTek100
Wiring:      Transparent Audio/Balanced

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:07:25 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Replacement for Krell 707
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »
Capabilities? Features? I assume budget is a non-issue? How many channels - it looks like you have a 7.x layout? How big a priority is getting the cachet and sonics of a Krell level brand?

The latest Marantz pre-pro AV8805 or the Anthem AVM60 have very solid sonics and features but I'm not sure if they're at the Krell level. Those are in the $3k range. If you move up to $5k you can get a Dirac processor from Emotiva, the RMC-1. A lot of folks really like their room correction software - see https://www.dirac.com/buy-products-with-dirac-live-from-our-partners for more choices/brands. 

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:59:14 PM »
Barry, I'd go with either the Marantz 8805 or Anthem AVM60. I'm currently using an Anthem, but reviewed the 8805 and loved it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. That being said, Krell's are outstanding and it will be a slight downgrade in audio quality, but the support is much better from both Marantz and Anthem. In regard to Emotiva, I personally wouldn't touch their pre/pro with a 10 foot pole...way too many bugs (or so I've read). 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:49 AM »
Another vote for the AV8805. Marantz prepros just work, issue free. Also I have had Dirac, once Audyssey made the APP, so that you can adjust the curve, I was very happy with their room correction.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
Another vote for the AV8805. Marantz prepros just work, issue free. Also I have had Dirac, once Audyssey made the APP, so that you can adjust the curve, I was very happy with their room correction.
Mike, Just curious if have you done any graph (both frequency and time domain) comparisons to support what you’re hearing between Audyssey and Dirac Live?

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
Barry, I have no experience with the 8805 but I did have an earlier Marantz HT preamp. I liked it and it was great for movies (didn't like it for 2-channel music) but it was nowhere as nice as the Anthem AVM 60, which I currently have.

The AVM 60 has been out for a while and I have no idea of its "future-proofness". Maybe David can speak to that but for today, it does it all very well.

Barry

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »
Barry, I have no experience with the 8805 but I did have an earlier Marantz HT preamp. I liked it and it was great for movies (didn't like it for 2-channel music) but it was nowhere as nice as the Anthem AVM 60, which I currently have.

The AVM 60 has been out for a while and I have no idea of its "future-proofness". Maybe David can speak to that but for today, it does it all very well.
Tracy, thanks so much.  So far everyone, including a dealer today, said exactly what you said. For surround Sound video Marantz is good, but for music the Anthem is better.  So I think I have to go with the Anthem.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

TRainH2O

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 07:36:36 PM »
Tracy, thanks so much.  So far everyone, including a dealer today, said exactly what you said. For surround Sound video Marantz is good, but for music the Anthem is better.  So I think I have to go with the Anthem.
For movies, my Anthem and their ARC software is better than the Marantz (Audyssey) I had. For music, it crushes my old Marantz.
The AVM 60 comes with a nice mic and stand for the setup. It is a completely different experience than using Audyssey but once you do it, it's pretty simple. 

TRainH2O

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »
Another thing that I just remembered to mention, the Anthem ARC setup requires a computer. Just so you know.

Barry

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
Thank you guys so,so much! I sent you an email with my phone number on it. I hope you have a few minutes an can call me.

Traci, "ARC" has two meanings. One is the audio settings used by the pre-amp that uses a mike. The other is the setting of the pre-amp to get sound out of a TV. I assume you meant that the computer is need for the former, not my TV output.  I am definitely leaning towards the Anthem!

IMPORTANT and separate: Would you  get an Anthem Receiver MRX 1120 (not the processor that we are talking about) over a Marentz 8015?) My brother is looking for a receiver. 

AVSMike

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 11:39:08 PM »
For movies, my Anthem and their ARC software is better than the Marantz (Audyssey) I had. For music, it crushes my old Marantz.
The AVM 60 comes with a nice mic and stand for the setup. It is a completely different experience than using Audyssey but once you do it, it's pretty simple.
Was this Audyssey before the APP or using the APP. The ability to adjust the curve and remove the dip in the frequency response made a world of difference to me. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 12:31:24 AM »
Thank you guys so,so much! I sent you an email with my phone number on it. I hope you have a few minutes an can call me.

Traci, "ARC" has two meanings. One is the audio settings used by the pre-amp that uses a mike. The other is the setting of the pre-amp to get sound out of a TV. I assume you meant that the computer is need for the former, not my TV output.  I am definitely leaning towards the Anthem!

IMPORTANT and separate: Would you  get an Anthem Receiver MRX 1120 (not the processor that we are talking about) over a Marentz 8015?) My brother is looking for a receiver.

Yes, ARC in the context of Anthem is usually about their Anthem Room Correction software that, as Traci mentioned, needs a PC to run on while connected via USB to the mic included with their processor (or AVR). I do have an AVM 60 btw.

As for the SR-8015 vs MRX-1120 receivers, here is a useful side by side feature comparison from Crutchfield's site: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?tp=179#&nvpair=FFBrand|Anthem&nvpair=FFBrand|Marantz

The Marantz has a few more features for stuff like wireless connectivity/streaming and has more inputs in general including a phono input. 

Barry

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 12:56:03 AM »
Thanks so much. You guys sre just so helpful

TRainH2O

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
Like Paul stated, ARC in reference to the Anthem is their room correction. Anthem Room Correction.

You establish a wireless connection to your home WiFi and the AVM 60. After you connect the mic to your computer, via USB, you open the ARC program and run the test tones. After that, you can see the results (visual room curve) and there's an option to make adjustments but I have yet to do that myself. After that, you can upload the correction to the preamp via Wifi or load it to a thumb drive and then install it on the AVM 60.

It was a little awkward the first time since it's a completely different process.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 02:48:36 AM »
Just noticed that the Lexicon RV-9 (and RV-6) receivers seem to be on clearance. Not sure how they compare to the Anthem, but the deals are pretty good. They have Dirac and the revived Lexicon Logic 7 which some still hold in pretty high regard. RV-9 retailed for $6.5k, can be found around half that now. Apparently based on Arcam designs, and a 2017 model so could be dated in some ways. I'm sure Mike or Craig can offer more info.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal