AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Hi everyone

Hi everyone
« on: August 04, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
Hey everyone
Hope everyone is staying safe during the covid times. 

My name is Jason and I'm very new to the game people like to call a money pit / rabbit hole / etc. 

Growing up, I've always wanted a beast of a system I can go hang out in and watch movies, LOUD and immersive as can be. I couldn't do that with my ex because we weren't going anywhere in life. Got divorced, worked on myself and got an amazing job and met this amazing Nurse Practitioner who is about to finish up her Doctorate in nursing. God help her soul with the amount of work that goes into that but she loves it, and it trickles down to me.

Here I am, I have a new home we purchased, getting married in December (Covid pending), made some sacrifices of things I wanted/had and we are both wanting a home theater. I'm slowly piecing it together here and there and still putting the wedding as my top priority, but come December (or if I can find a damn good deal, which I have several times already), it's game time!

I'll definitely be lurking. I've already learned so much and made changes on what I think I wanted so many times already so it's time to finally pull the trigger and call it a day, before I have a frankenstein of a system. 

I went from wanting the BenQ800M to the 5040, 5050, 6050, then the Sony 295ES purely based on specs and me seeing them visually. Did more research on screen sizes, realized this will be for movies only, no games no television (my fiance seems to think she will watch a lot of TLC on it, she's nuts) and came up with wanting a 2.35:1 aspect ratio all the way. Then I realized that the 295ES doesn't have lens memory and it looks to be a pain having to constantly set it up, so here we are at me looking at the JVC NX5, which was recommended by everyone I talked to. Perhaps I should listen more to the people who have been in the game a lot longer than I have LOL. 

I'm really baffled at Sony not having a simple feature of lens memory in a $5k projector, when the 6050 has it. Meh, oh well. NX5 looks better anyway. 

If you read all that, my apologies. Not really exciting stuff ::)

AVSMike

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 12:40:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I would make one general suggestion in your HT planning - put some early focus on the room itself and get it right before worrying about projector models as that will be a long term investment that has a big effect on anything else you do. Of course that's assuming you have both permission and ability to later the room, with your upcoming boss. ::)

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
She’s already handed me the stick, so to speak ;)

Right now it won’t be anything extremely fancy. It’ll be a 5.2 with plans on atmos in the near future as well as rears. Half the room will be a “play area” for the kids for the time being. 

Once the kids grow up and need the room less, I’ll have have the entire basement to dedicate for the theater. That’s when I’ll be going crazy with sound containment and the finer details.  I hope by then I’ll have enough experience on what works and what doesn’t, what I like vs don’t like, etc. 

Right now my game plan is:
Klipsch rp 504c
Klipsch rp 6000f
Svs sb2000pro
Deftech D7
4500h Receiver or marantaz 6014
The power conditioners
An amp 

Still need to figure out a screen

I’m on the list for an NX5 as well, which I’m extremely excited about. 

I think that’s a good start for now :) 

I’ll definitely be perusing the forums and soaking up as much as I can. 

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 09:20:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
Welcome to our discussion forum!  You will find so many people here that are willing to share their experiences in building their own home theaters and our experienced staff can provide lots of information on products when you are ready to make a purchases.

Best wishes on the new home purchase and the upcoming nuptials. ;)
Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:48:11 AM »
Thank you! 
What I thought was a simple point and shoot projector with big speakers making big sound ended up being a massive learning curve so far. So far everyone has been super helpful and I’m really appreciative of it. 

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 02:17:50 AM »
Right down the rabbit hole :) You aren't the first and definitely won't be the last, that's for sure. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 09:41:24 AM »
Thank you!
What I thought was a simple point and shoot projector with big speakers making big sound ended up being a massive learning curve so far. So far everyone has been super helpful and I’m really appreciative of it.
This is a super fun hobby. Feel free to ask questions and even call us to discuss things. We've all been though the learning curve ! Glad to help. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »
Thank you!
Haha, right. I found that out in 1999 when I jumped on the legendary NEC LT-150 Dell pricing mistake and then had to figure out what the heck to do with it. :o Man that thing was loud & dim, but I had a 100" picture in my living room! 

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 11:51:09 PM »
Indeed. I can't wait. I'm just purchasing components here and there to set it all up. I should be done by January, pending B stock projector :) 

My fiance seems to think she can watch HGTV and such on the projector :| 

I'm fine with TV maybe here and there but it won't be a replacement by any means :) 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal