AVS Discussions
  Go Down

UHD player recommendations for Dolby Vision?

AVSMike

Re: UHD player recommendations for Dolby Vision?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
I bought the Oppo 203 and then turned around and bought the Panasonic UB9000 for the tone mapping. Considered selling the Oppo, but decided to hold onto it. Ended up selling the Panasonic. Glad I hung onto the Oppo 203. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 04:52:47 PM »
Man I have a tough decision today.  A local Best Buy has an open box Pansonic 820 for $325 instead of $499.  They have a Magnolia Design Center there and I ended up calling them since nobody from the main store line picked up.  He went and dug it up for me and said it's actually in great shape and has documentation even though the box notes said "residue" and "missing documentation".  Just have to drive 20 miles to go get it.  I usually hesitate to buy open box electronics especially something like this, but man is this tempting for 35% off.
LG 65" CX OLED | Denon AVR-X4500H | Panasonic UB820 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | 2021 Apple TV 4K | Xfinity X1 DVR

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 05:36:41 PM »
Man I have a tough decision today.  A local Best Buy has an open box Pansonic 820 for $325 instead of $499.  They have a Magnolia Design Center there and I ended up calling them since nobody from the main store line picked up.  He went and dug it up for me and said it's actually in great shape and has documentation even though the box notes said "residue" and "missing documentation".  Just have to drive 20 miles to go get it.  I usually hesitate to buy open box electronics especially something like this, but man is this tempting for 35% off.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 06:02:07 PM »
Yeah that's my thought too.  Was just a bit unsure about open box electronics for something like this.  Heading out now to go pick it up :)
LG 65" CX OLED | Denon AVR-X4500H | Panasonic UB820 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | 2021 Apple TV 4K | Xfinity X1 DVR

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »

So I picked it up.  Still have to connect it up, but looks like the only thing wrong with it was the box was ripped open and one edge of the box was smashed a bit in the middle where there's no styrofoam.  Maybe a shipping issue when it was sent to the store.  Inside everything looked perfect and they plugged it in and it fired up and ejected the tray properly etc.  I have 15 days to return of course  and because I like their plans, I grabbed one of the Best Buy warranty things for it as well.  Basically it looks like I saved $175 by having a bashed up box that's going to go in the recycle bin anyway.

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 12:03:51 AM »
So I got it set up.  I have to say, I wasn't sure before after testing a disc in HDR10 with Dynamic Tone Mapping on my CX vs the same title in DV on Disney+.  However, playing the Spears & Munsil demo disc the 10K nit HDR10 vs 10K nit DV there was a very very noticeable difference and I'm now very glad I have DV playback capability

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 02:08:51 AM »
So I got it set up.  I have to say, I wasn't sure before after testing a disc in HDR10 with Dynamic Tone Mapping on my CX vs the same title in DV on Disney+.  However, playing the Spears & Munsil demo disc the 10K nit HDR10 vs 10K nit DV there was a very very noticeable difference and I'm now very glad I have DV playback capability
Awesome! That was a great deal you got. Congrats!
Sound & Vision Magazine

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 04:48:46 AM »
Awesome! That was a great deal you got. Congrats!
Thanks :)  I have to say though I had a moment of extreme disappointment when I popped in one of the 4K discs from the Star Wars 9 movie collection.  Apparently Disney decided only the streaming version on Disney+ should get Dolby Vision.  The discs are in standard HDR10 :(  I just assumed otherwise since they were in Dolby Vision in the app.

claw

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
Thanks :)  I have to say though I had a moment of extreme disappointment when I popped in one of the 4K discs from the Star Wars 9 movie collection.  Apparently Disney decided only the streaming version on Disney+ should get Dolby Vision.  The discs are in standard HDR10 :(  I just assumed otherwise since they were in Dolby Vision in the app.
This might be Disney's plan to get people to use Disney+ streaming instead of discs.   You want Dolby Vision?  Then sign up for Disney+.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

claw

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
So I picked it up.  Still have to connect it up, but looks like the only thing wrong with it was the box was ripped open and one edge of the box was smashed a bit in the middle where there's no styrofoam.  Maybe a shipping issue when it was sent to the store.  Inside everything looked perfect and they plugged it in and it fired up and ejected the tray properly etc.  I have 15 days to return of course  and because I like their plans, I grabbed one of the Best Buy warranty things for it as well.  Basically it looks like I saved $175 by having a bashed up box that's going to go in the recycle bin anyway.
I purchased my UB820 from Best Buy on day of release as an in-store purchase.   The box was crumpled on both ends.   As it was day one it was the last one in stock.   
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 10:43:34 AM »
This might be Disney's plan to get people to use Disney+ streaming instead of discs.  You want Dolby Vision?  Then sign up for Disney+.
Just get a Lumagen Radiance Pro. Those of us with projectors don't have Dolby Vision anyway, but with the Lumagen's dynamic tone mapping for HDR, everything looks great.  
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
I had a similar reaction when I was testing the HD Fury Dolby Vision trick with my projector. I threw in Captain Marvel thinking it was Dolby Vision and it ended up not working....it's only HDR10 as well. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »
I had a similar reaction when I was testing the HD Fury Dolby Vision trick with my projector. I threw in Captain Marvel thinking it was Dolby Vision and it ended up not working....it's only HDR10 as well.
Yeah I did some looking and apparently about if not the only Marvel movie to use it was Black Panther.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 01:27:44 PM »
Congrats on the great deal, @flyinion. Really nice find.

On the Disney movies, it's really annoying to buy 4K UHD discs and redeem 4K codes, but not get the ability to stream 4K from certain sources like Apple. For these movies I won't be clearing out the 4K disc anyway but it's still a cheesy situation on Disney's part.

flyinion

• cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
Congrats on the great deal, @flyinion. Really nice find.

On the Disney movies, it's really annoying to buy 4K UHD discs and redeem 4K codes, but not get the ability to stream 4K from certain sources like Apple. For these movies I won't be clearing out the 4K disc anyway but it's still a cheesy situation on Disney's part.

Thanks :) Normally I'm hesitant to buy open box for "big" ticket items, but in this case it seemed to just be the box was damaged in shipping and it wasn't actually return that went back on the shelf.  I've been burned before buying open box.  Bought a video card once for my PC and when I went to register it for example it was denied because someone had already registered it.  I ended up sending it back and getting something else at the time.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal