Studio:  Synapse Films
Release Date: Nov 19, 2019
Rating:  Not rated
Video Resolution: Native 4K (2160p)
HDR: HDR10
Aspect ratio: 2.38:1
Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0 (96kHz, 24-bit)
Italian: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)
Film:  4/5

Plot: A beautiful young American girl travels to a prestigious German ballet academy. She gradually realizes that there is something very wrong and evil going on at the school.

My Thoughts : someone called this campy horror classic “ arthouse meets slasher house “ and I couldn’t agree more. The use of color and framing of scenes that are like hyper colorful paintings is unique. Add a creepy horror plot, some violent murders and a killer soundtrack by progressive rock band Goblin and you have a surrealistic horror film that’s definitely different. I look forward to watching this again with friends in my theater.

Video – it’s hard to rate older films like this one, shot on film in 1977, compared with recent modern films. Never the less, since this is a new native 4K scan, other reviewers that have seen earlier versions give this disc a high rating. I’d guess this is the best this film has ever looked. I’ll give it an 8/10. 

Audio – the Dolby Atmos mix and Goblin’s score sounded quite good. I’d give it a 7.5/10. I had to choose the Dolby Atmos option – it didn’t default to it on my Oppo 203.

Conclusion : this Italian horror classic is a film I never heard of until the 4K Blu-ray came out. If you like horror films – or art films with blood, check this one out !

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS4500 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
( Calibrated by Kris Deering )
Stewart Filmscreen – 128” diagonal StudioTek 130 G3 2.35:1 screen
Stewart Filmscreen – 122” diagonal Cima Neve 16:9 screen
Panamorph Paladin DCR lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro Video Processor
Denon X8500H receiver
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp – powering the left / center / right / wide speakers
Oppo UBD203 4K Blu Ray player
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
9.6.4 Speaker System -  Martin Logan Motion 40’s ( 2 ), Motion SLM XL center speaker, Motion FX surrounds ( 4 ), Motion LX16 wide channel speakers  ( 2 ) , Motion 4 heights ( 4 )
Two  SVS PC 12 Plus cylinder subs
Four SVS SB2000 subs
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8 component cooling fans ( 3 )
GIK Acoustic Panels
PFP M1500 – UPS
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: Suspiria 4K Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
Thanks for reviewing this, Craig.

With a few notable exceptions like the Evil Dead movies/TV series with Bruce Campbell I'm not much of a horror fan and rarely watch the genre. So I'm aware of this mainly because of being a fan of prog rock/metal and the Goblin soundtrack is something I've listened to a couple of times. Won't be near the top of my list, but maybe one day I'll succumb to the urge to check this out. 

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Suspiria 4K Blu-ray
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 03:26:30 PM »
Thanks for reviewing this, Craig.

With a few notable exceptions like the Evil Dead movies/TV series with Bruce Campbell I'm not much of a horror fan and rarely watch the genre. So I'm aware of this mainly because of being a fan of prog rock/metal and the Goblin soundtrack is something I've listened to a couple of times. Won't be near the top of my list, but maybe one day I'll succumb to the urge to check this out.
I'm not a huge horror fan, but certain select movies are fun to show at Halloween. This film has incredible sets, use of color and cinematography, so I pretty much had to check it out. It's also been described as a " technicolor fever dream " - which totally fits too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal