AVS Discussions
  Go Down

HDR and projection

Re: HDR and projection
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
So I decided to try something that no one ever seems to consider or try, telling the player NO for HDR and having it map down to standard gamma and REC709 color.

I know you have been very busy of late, but have you had a chance to evaluate this select SDR for HDR UHD disks?

Also, with BT.2390, don't manufacturers now have a recommendation for how to convert HDR to the display's peak luminance capability?  (And does anyone follow that recommendation?)

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »
I know you have been very busy of late, but have you had a chance to evaluate this select SDR for HDR UHD disks?

Also, with BT.2390, don't manufacturers now have a recommendation for how to convert HDR to the display's peak luminance capability?  (And does anyone follow that recommendation?)

With about 10,000 variables for home projection systems and brightness ( and the fact most people don't have light meters and don't have a clue how bright their projector even is ), how would this ever work ? Isn't that for flat panel TV's ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
With about 10,000 variables for home projection systems and brightness ( and the fact most people don't have light meters and don't have a clue how bright their projector even is ), how would this ever work ? Isn't that for flat panel TV's ?

With a user input of screen gain, and distance to the screen, the jvcs have all the info they need to calculate screen brightness.

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

Doesn't seem an unreasonable "requirement" to have a light meter to properly calibrate.  I mean we already need light meters to set grayscale correctly. 

MFG's should be giving us a place to enter "Ypeak" into the projector so that it can intelligently map everything.  Heck they could even provide a table (or online, or built-in calculator) with swags for Ypeak based off screen size, gain, throw.  It would be better than the nothing that we have now.

Regardless of what you think about HDR for projection, IMO having an external device convert to some intermediate format is a hack, and should not be perpetuated, or relied upon.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
Doesn't seem an unreasonable "requirement" to have a light meter to properly calibrate.  I mean we already need light meters to set grayscale correctly. 

MFG's should be giving us a place to enter "Ypeak" into the projector so that it can intelligently map everything.  Heck they could even provide a table (or online, or built-in calculator) with swags for Ypeak based off screen size, gain, throw.  It would be better than the nothing that we have now.

Regardless of what you think about HDR for projection, IMO having an external device convert to some intermediate format is a hack, and should not be perpetuated, or relied upon.

With the RS4500 I no longer need the HD Fury Integral !

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »
With the RS4500 I no longer need the HD Fury Integral !

And with a pretty minor firmware update, those of us with RS500/600s, wouldn't need the fury either!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »
And with a pretty minor firmware update, those of us with RS500/600s, wouldn't need the fury either!

It was pretty much " set and forget " for me though, so it wasn't a problem anyway.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal