AVS Discussions
  Go Down

A Bad Day and a Long one

Barry

A Bad Day and a Long one
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
11:37 AM

Today is a big day in our household and I am NOT looking forward to it.

In our big media room Four pieces of equipment had been returned to Krell Again.  For the fourth time this year the 707 Surround Sound/Pre-Amp has been returned and requires a LARGE set up.  We had it updated to work with a Krell 4K switcher and nothing went right the first three times it was repaired and returned to us.  At first we could not get an image from the switcher, then the sound failed.  I got it back yesterday and they are setting it up now.

After another double dip at Krell, my Phono Pre-Amp which failed, is back.  This also took two trips.

The sound out of my rear and back speakers, from the Krell 1500 was distorted and we thought it was from the 707. No, we had to send that in too. That also just came back.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.  In our smaller room upstairs, with our LG OLED 4K TV and Marantz 7011 we are adding two speakers to get Dolby Atmos.  This was a separate discussion and deal with our installer, but while he was here with his crew he wanted to do everything. 

So I may not survive the day. But if I can I will give updates.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Barry

Re: A Bad Day and a Long one
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:55:21 PM »
3 PM
We worked hard on the Media room. The Krell 707/HDMI 4k units DO NOT transmit the signal from the panasonic 4k Player (The 9000) to the JVC projector.  So we had to run another 4k wire from the projector to the Disc Player, bypassing the HDMI switcher but still using the Krell 707 for sound.  We also had problems using the Amazon Fire stick or Cube.  We got "static" instead of audio, but I hope that is over now.

The rear speaker sound great with the 1500 "fixed." and everything looks and sounds right.  At least for now.

4PM: 
Two Atmos speakers were added to the upstairs room. It took a while to figure out how to tell the Marantz we had Atmos.  We turned on the Justice League movie just because it was handy.  WOW, did Atmos make a difference. In sound that is, it is still a rotten movie. But it sounded great.  I might get Ford vs Ferrari just to hear it!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
WOW, Barry, I feel for you. I can't imagine sending a piece back for repairs or updates multiple times. Hopefully, Krell and/or your dealer is taking good care of you but I imagine it's still frustrating.

As for the Marantz and Atmos, it should be as simple as re-running the initial speaker setup after your new speakers were connected.

Keep us updated. 

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
Sounds like quite a chore!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal