Uncut Gems (Blu-ray) review

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray) review
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »

Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: March 10, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 2/5

Plot
A charismatic jeweler (Adam Sandler) makes a high-stakes bet that could lead to the windfall of a lifetime. In a precarious high-wire act, he must balance business and family, fending off adversaries on all sides in pursuit of the ultimate win.

My Thoughts
The buzz on this film was extremely positive and it garnered over a 90% score at Rottentomatoes.com, so I went into it with an extremely high bar—boy was that a mistake. While not a bad movie, it didn’t reach the high expectations I had set for it. Sandler was miffed that he didn’t receive an Oscar nomination for his role and frankly, I can see why the Academy passed him up. He didn’t do anything special other than play a serious character instead of his usual comedic persona.

To add insult to injury, the audio track was absolutely atrocious by no fault of the encode. It actually falls on the filmmaker since after watching the Blu-ray I looked online and found similar complaints during its theatrical run. The score virtually drowns out all of the audio the first 20 minutes of the movie and it’s extremely distracting. Unfortunately, this is a trend from a lot of different media lately—I experience a similar issue with the latest season of Doctor Who and virtually every DC show in the CW. The score is supposed to support the story, not drowned out the dialog.

Video 4/5

Audio 2.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Money on the Street: The Making of Uncut Gems
  • Blu-ray+ DVD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Between Sandler’s annoying character and the horrific audio track, I became more and more irritated the longer the movie went. Frankly, I don’t see what the vast majority of the critics saw in this film. The cinematography is somewhat ugly and the musical score is about as bad as they come. I obviously didn’t care for it, but maybe with lowered expectations you’ll have a better time with it—good luck with that!

Reference Review System:

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Uncut Gems (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:54:21 PM »
Did you like the director's ( the Safdie brothers ) film " Good Times " ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
Did you like the director's ( the Safdie brothers ) film " Good Times " ?
Haven't seen it. 

I should note that my wife was complaining virtually the entire movie, which could have had some impact on my feelings of this film. That being said, the audio track for the first 20 minutes is inexcusable for a modern movie. You could barely hear the dialog. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:53:28 PM »
Haven't seen it.

I should note that my wife was complaining virtually the entire movie, which could have had some impact on my feelings of this film. That being said, the audio track for the first 20 minutes is inexcusable for a modern movie. You could barely hear the dialog.
" Good Times " was pretty raw - like watching a lived streamed real life crime drama. I found it interesting, but some of my guests were like " what the f--k did we just watch " ? I'm guessing this is like that. I have the disc coming, so I'll chime in after watching it. Are there subtitles available for the first 20 minutes ? ::)

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
" Good Times " was pretty raw - like watching a lived streamed real life crime drama. I found it interesting, but some of my guests were like " what the f--k did we just watch " ? I'm guessing this is like that. I have the disc coming, so I'll chime in after watching it. Are there subtitles available for the first 20 minutes ? ::)
Yes...I recommend using them. This was "raw" as well and i'm not a fan of that type of cinematography. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »
Greetings,

I am more or less with Dave on this one. Just didn't care much for it.

Regards, 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
I watched this last night. I rather liked it - it's a gritty edgy character study about a man with a gambling addiction on a downwards spiral. I had no problem with the soundtrack either - the dialog was understandable to me in the beginning. It's loud music wise to set the manic tone to follow - and it's mostly during the titles.  I liked this better than the Safdie bros. " Good Times " - and I thought Adam Sandler did a great job. The ending in particular was both edge of your seat tense and shocking. Actor Lakeith Stanfield was good - I liked him in " Knives Out " and especially " Sorry To Bother You ".

All in all, I thought it was interesting - if you like gritty hard core films. I need to watch The Joker again now.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:41:44 AM by AVSCraig »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal