Doctor Sleep (UHD Blu-ray) review

Doctor Sleep (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:15:56 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: February 4, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 4/5

Plot
Still irrevocably scarred by the trauma he endured as a child at the Overlook, Dan Torrance (Ewan McGregor) has fought to find some semblance of peace. But that peace is shattered when he encounters Abra (Kyliegh Curran), a courageous teenager with her own powerful extrasensory gift, known as the “shine.” Instinctively recognizing that Dan shares her power, Abra has sought him out, desperate for his help against the merciless Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson) and her followers, The True Knot, who feed off the shine of innocents in their quest for immortality.

Forming an unlikely alliance, Dan and Abra engage in a brutal life-or-death battle with Rose. Abra’s innocence and fearless embrace of her shine compel Dan to call upon his own powers as never before—at once facing his fears and reawakening the ghosts of the past.

My Thoughts
I’ve never been a fan of the horror genre but for some reason I’ve always liked The Shining—go figure? When I saw that the sequel was going to be adapted, it piqued my interest, but I couldn’t convince my wife to get out to the theater to see it. She did give it a try at home though and had to stop watching about an hour into the film because she couldn’t handle the violence towards young kids that’s depicted, but she was willing to give it a go the next day and actually tolerated the movie—I liked it a lot.

A lot of King fans really didn’t like The Shining that much due to the liberties that Kubrick took with the adaptation, but writer/director Mike Flanagan is able to correct a couple of the wrongs by the end of the screenplay which should satisfy fans of the books. The cast is excellent and there’s a few jump out of your seat moments, but I was still able to get a good night’s sleep after the film, so it didn’t give me nightmares.

The video encode is nearly perfect and the Atmos track is to die for. In fact, it may be the best use of overhead directional effects on home video. Wow, just wow. From the outset, the sound designer uses the full spectrum of speakers to place in you into the scene and you’ll find yourself looking over your shoulder and often times above you waiting for a baddie to swoop in a take your soul.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Return to the Overlook
  • The Making of Doctor Sleep: A New Vision
  • From Shining to Sleep
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy (Director’s Cut)

Conclusion
This is a film I could find myself watching again in the near future, but it will have to be the Blu-ray for the Director’s Cut of the film. I’ve read that it’s even better but it’s only available via 4K streaming or on the Blu-ray. Why Warner, why? Regardless, if you’re a fan of the first film and want to see where the story goes, definitely pick this one up for no other reason than to experience the kick-ass Dolby Atmos track. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-980
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)
JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Doctor Sleep (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
You have piqued my interest in this movie now ! ;)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: Doctor Sleep (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:29:29 AM »
Greetings,

Told ya Dave...crazy Atmos soundtrack. ;)

I am glad you enjoyed the film buddy. Nice Review!

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal