AVS Discussions
  Go Down

the future of Dvds

Barry

the future of Dvds
« on: January 16, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
An interesting article in today’s paper
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: the future of Dvds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
Disc sales is the only way studios will get my money. I don't subscribe to any streaming services, and I've only been to a commercial theater once since 2007 ( so twice in 13 years ). Disc or no sale.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:56:53 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »
This is a smart move. Two studios instead of paying by themselves, can divide the market.

People are still buying discs. Streaming is ok but a lot of folks have poor bandwidth or can't afford internet access so for them, dvd are still the go to..

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 02:34:05 PM »
Disc sales is the only way studios will get my money. I don't subscribe to any streaming services, and I've only been to a commercial theater once since 2007 ( so twice in 13 years ). Disc or no sale.
Same way here. Put it on a silver disc or I likely won't see it.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »
Same way here. Put it on a silver disc or I likely won't see it.
I've been that way for a lot of years, but I have to say, streaming has gotten extremely good with H.265. We are currently watching "Lost in Space" season 2 on Netflix in 4K/HDR. It was shot with 8K cameras and looks amazing, even when projected on my 110" scope screen zoomed in. It really rivals 4K discs and I haven't noticed any banding thus far through 7 episodes, and that's something I always look for. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 06:40:37 PM »
I just have little time to watch streaming. It would be like having a gym membership I never used ( I bought nice road bikes instead - that's my gym ).  
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:17 AM »
my PJ doesnt work with any straming through my AVR....for some reson it shows a green colored screen....so physical ONLY for me
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 12:07:13 PM »
DVDs are not going anywhere.

Just remember, Netflix, while it is still a streaming service, they still make millions via DVD..

Yeah, they still do the DVD mailout every month.. Cash cow so to speak..
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
I say NO to buying download/streaming a Big NO! Disc sale only!!! Same goes for Laserdisc but that was phased out could I guess stuck around for a few more years, which I think since DVD showed up and it was same back then NO to DVD but most us and we slowly moved over to DVD while still buying a Laserdisc. I guess same be said with VHS/Beta but Laserdisc came around the time the tape formats did.

netflix RUBBISH site for movies and will never ever again subscribe to that tatty fleapit of a service no matter how hard they try, netflix will remain rubbish for movies same applies to amazon thou some can be watched, "watch now" seems reasonable enough but most I wouldn't even watch, disney movies is NO now. I did rent CATS (2019) at low rental price, but not as cheap as bag of cat litter, and for what the rental cost was, it made me cry at the end and that is good enough shows I'm human, but no 4k disc of CATS, really cos bluray discs are usually packed in the case with the 4k disc, puzzling? 

Brought The Last Starfighter on region 1 DVD in costume packing CD case side with same artwork to the first edition pressing and was pleased as I don't think I want it on 4k as studios tamper around with the theatrical mix and I want proper Dolby format 42. The DVD has good colour that is watchable a kinder hint of grain and I most certainly will not pay for 4k with Digital Noise Reduction DNR plastered all over the 4k or steaming what ever.     

Again its a huge big mighty NO for streaming/download as it doesn't have fancy artwork case and given there is about around 5 or so billion movies not all of them are on past or present disc formats. Again disc sale only. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:49:49 PM by andyandthecats »
i like cats . i don't like people who don't

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
Let me start off by saying I love UHD discs (just watched Beetle Juice last night, and the disc transfer was amazing).  But...........

The reality is streaming is already taking over.  So much quality content comes from sources other than the big studios, that any plan they have to keep discs relevant will eventually fail.

Point 1:  Today, if it’s a movie I really want to see, I go buy the 4K disc.  The discs are always better quality.  However, streaming is getting much much closer!  So much so that I know in a few years they will be indistinguishable.

Point 2: no matter how many of us are disc die-hards, more and more content is native streaming: original content from Netflix, Hulu, AppleTV+, Disney+, are examples.  Thus there is no debate for this content, it’s streaming or bust :0

Two years ago my disc/streaming watch ratio was 7/3, now it is 4/6, and in a few years it will likely be 1/8.

It was really Apple TV that helped me turn the corner.  The interface is slick, it is reliable, and by setting it to always output HDR/60, I get virtually no projector sync delays!  Plus, I love the SDR to HDR conversion job it does.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 03:36:41 AM »
Just watched Mulan via Apple TV on an RS2000.  Quality was astonishing.  Disc days are more numbered than I thought.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
Watched Greyhound on Apple+ last night. I know that for some movies the audio isn't up to snuff on streaming vs disk but this one was pretty good. (Caveat is that I can't crank it with my wife watching too, heh.)

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
Watched Greyhound on Apple+ last night. I know that for some movies the audio isn't up to snuff on streaming vs disk but this one was pretty good. (Caveat is that I can't crank it with my wife watching too, heh.)
I hate that too! Worst phrase said in my theater..."Turn it down, it's hurting my ears!" Bah, humbug. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »
I hate that too! Worst phrase said in my theater..."Turn it down, it's hurting my ears!" Bah, humbug.
The key is to start the movie at a moderate volume, and then gradually turn it up over the first ten minutes.  :)
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 08:59:47 PM »
The key is to start the movie at a moderate volume, and then gradually turn it up over the first ten minutes.  :)
Indeed.  I also changed the settings on my AVR, so the OnScreenDisplay doesn't turn on to show when I start adjusting the volume!!8)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal