Terminator: Dark Fate (UHD Blu-ray) review

Terminator: Dark Fate (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: January 28, 2020
Rating: R
Film: 2.5/5

Plot
Decades after Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) prevented Judgment Day, a lethal new Terminator is sent to eliminate the future leader of the resistance. In a fight to save mankind, battle-hardened Sarah teams up with an unexpected ally (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and an enhanced super soldier to stop the deadliest Terminator yet. Humanity's fate hangs in the balance in this action-packed thrill ride from Tim Miller, the director of Deadpool, and producer James Cameron.

My Thoughts
After the last couple of Terminator films, one has to wonder if this franchise is running on empty. Yes, I did enjoy Terminator Genisys on both Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray, but did we really need another Terminator movie? Schwarzenegger would tell us –yes, I have illegitimate kids to feed—but I digress.

My biggest gripe with this film is we’ve seen this story before—over and over. Someone is sent back through time to protect someone else who is targeted for death by a Terminator sent from the future. Said Terminator is close to indestructible but by the third act of the film as our heroes are out of options, they pull a rabbit out of a hat and end up killing the machine in some heroic manner. Lather, rinse, repeat should be the title of this film.

If this were an original, it may have been more enjoyable because the stunts are amazing, the visual effects are top notch, and the A/V quality is excellent. Unfortunately, I’ve been down this road before and I’m tired of the drive.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes
  • A Legend Reforged
  • World Builders
  • Damn Busters: The Final Showdown
  • VFX Breakdown: The Dragonfly
  • Digital Only Featurettes
    • Creating a New Threat
    • Future Tech
    • Previz Sequences (3)
    • Commentary
    • Deleted Scenes with introduction and commentary by Tim Miller
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
As much as I gripe about the franchise, it has sure been a moneymaker for the studio—especially overseas. The last four films failed to make back their substantial production budgets with US sales, but 65% of the box office receipts for the franchise comes from the foreign box office and as long as they’re willing to spend money, we’ll probably keep getting the films despite the lack of interest in the US. If you’re a fan, you’ll probably want to check this one out as a comparison piece and I have to admit that the LFE track alone may warrant at least one viewing—the LFE ROCKS! If you’ve never seen a Terminator film, you’ll probably think this is one of the best action movies you’ve ever seen in your life, but for us old farts, it’s just more of the same.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: Terminator: Dark Fate (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
My review aligns with yours,
https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=2280.0
Barry,

I had forgotten that you reviewed this as well. I guess great minds think alike. Ralph sent me an email yesterday and said my review was a bit "heavy handed," but after rereading yours, I think it was just right :):o
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
Too bad, as since it ignores everything that came after T2, I had hoped it would make a good 2nd feature for that movie. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
Barry,

I had forgotten that you reviewed this as well. I guess great minds think alike. Ralph sent me an email yesterday and said my review was a bit "heavy handed," but after rereading yours, I think it was just right :):o

David. It was just right. In fact my last few sentences totally align with what you had written. What a disappointment and it had such a potential. I think that the terminator movies will now be terminated.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 03:56:09 PM »
Greetings,

Dave's just being grumpy. If you generally like Terminator movies for what they are, this one follows the same formula. Overplayed? Definitely. Fun to watch? Yup! 

Jump in Craig. The water's fine! :)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »
Greetings,

Dave's just being grumpy. If you generally like Terminator movies for what they are, this one follows the same formula. Overplayed? Definitely. Fun to watch? Yup!

I might watch for it on sale. I wound up buying T2 on 4K Blu-ray dirt cheap.  

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
Greetings,

You're much too forgiving Ralph. Like I said, if this was the first Terminator movie you had ever seen, you'd love it because you'd think it was original. Unfortunately, this is the sixth!
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 05:57:38 PM »
You're much too forgiving Ralph. Like I said, if this was the first Terminator movie you had ever seen, you'd love it because you'd think it was original. Unfortunately, this is the sixth!
I've totally ignored all Terminator movies since T3. In fact, I've never seen any after T3. And if I get this current one, I'll just pretend T3 never existed either. Dark Fate will in essence become the sequel to T2. Since the film makers said they were going to ignore the movies after T2 timeline wise. ::) 

Barry

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »
I place my vote for David here!

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
I've totally ignored all Terminator movies since T3. In fact, I've never seen any after T3. And if I get this current one, I'll just pretend T3 never existed either. Dark Fate will in essence become the sequel to T2. Since the film makers said they were going to ignore the movies after T2 timeline wise. ::)
Or rewatch T2...it's the same story anyways and Arnold is much younger ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal