Gemini Man (UHD Blu-ray) review

Gemini Man (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: January 21, 2020
Rating: PG-13
Film: 2/5

Plot
Will Smith stars as retired hitman Henry Brogan, forced on the run by a young, highly skilled operative who will stop at nothing to eliminate his target.  Now on a race around the globe, Henry must outsmart the mysterious assassin at every step - but how far will he go once they finally come face to face?

My Thoughts
Ang Lee has been a huge proponent of high framerate filming and made history with his 2016 film, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, when it was shot in 4K at 60fps (Frames Per Second). Film is usually at 24 frames, which started way back with the birth of the medium when it was the minimum number of frames to make movements capture looked natural, so that’s what the filmmakers went with in order to save costs—why use 30 when 24 just works fine and it’s much more budget friendly!

For its theatrical run, Gemini Man was shot in 3D at 120fps, which is insanely high. For its 4K release, it is in 4K 60fps and frankly, I’m not a fan at all of the look. Sure, it’s crystal clear, razor sharp, and has a lot of depth, but to my eyes it looks completely unnatural. In fact, I couldn’t make it all the way through the movie watching with its high frame rate and popped in the included Blu-ray to appease my wife, who threatened to walk out of the room because the look annoyed her so much.

As a film, it’s not very good at all. The stunts are so over the top outrageous it pulls you right out of the picture. Here’s some advice to Hollywood, just because your special effects house says you can defy the laws of physics or the physical pounding the human body can take, doesn’t mean you have to push the envelope that far. The believability factor of the screenplay ventures into negative numbers on a scale of one to ten—yes, it’s that over the top.

Of the two formats—4K/60 with HDR and 1080p/60, the latter looks more realistic and isn’t as distracting. Both formats are razor sharp in their detail, but the 4K version looks like a corporate training video versus the filmlike 1080p transfer. The Atmos audio is very engaging and definitely gives the entire soundstage a workout, especially the LFE channel.

Video 10/10 (Both 4K and Blu-ray)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Alternate Opening
  • Deleted Scenes
  • The Genesis of Gemini Man
  • Facing Your Younger Self
  • The Future is Now
  • Setting the Action
  • Next Level Detail
  • The Vision of Ang Lee
  • The Visual Effects Progression presented by WETA (4K Disc only)
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
The concept of the film had some potential, but ultimately the screenplay from David Benioff, Billy Ray, and Darren Lemke falls flat on its face—much like Benioff’s final season of Game of Thrones. Some may get this movie solely for the high frame rate presentation, but I’m not a fan of the look one bit. It looks exactly like cutscenes from a video game and my brain isn’t accustomed to that look (and probably never will be). Overall, the experience was a dud so caveat emptor.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels

ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofers x 2 (stacked)

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)

Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:03:18 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Gemini Man (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:27:12 PM »
" The stunts are so over the top outrageous it pulls you right out of the picture. Here’s some advice to Hollywood, just because your special effects house says you can defy the laws of physics or the physical pounding the human body can take, doesn’t mean you have to push the envelope that far. The believability factor of the screenplay ventures into negative numbers on a scale of one to ten—yes, it’s that over the top. " - sounds like you hated this more than Hobbs and Shaw ! ;D
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
I think I'd rather watch "Hobbs & Shaw!" ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Waboman

• Growing older but not up
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »
According to the Tweeter, Redbox will have the 4K UHD disc available to rent.  I want to see this in 60fps HFR, but not enough to buy it.;)
When life gives you limes… make margaritas

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
According to the Tweeter, Redbox will have the 4K UHD disc available to rent.  I want to see this in 60fps HFR, but not enough to buy it.;)
Rent it for sure...I doubt you'll want to watch it a second time. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 03:52:50 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. Yeah, we are on the same page here..

Barry

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
David, thanks again for a great review. You have not only save me money over the years but a lot of time. I like that you describe the movie and I just tell me whether or not you like it as many reviewers do. I can see that this is not a movie for me.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:02 AM »
not only a terrible movie...but 60fps yuck!

sounds a lot like billy wynns long halftime walk ugggg
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player