AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Zappiti 4K HDR Media System

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Zappiti 4K HDR Media System
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:39:37 AM »
Kris Deering's Zappiti 4K HDR Media System review is interesting. Anyone have one of these ? 

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/zappiti-4k-hdr-media-system-review

Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Re: Zappiti 4K HDR Media System
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
Kris Deering's Zappiti 4K HDR Media System review is interesting. Anyone have one of these ?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/zappiti-4k-hdr-media-system-review
I don't have one but it looked interesting. Lots of $$ though. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Is anything cheap in home theater ? Don't answer that.................

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »
Is anything cheap in home theater ? Don't answer that.................
Black paint. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Harro

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
While this system looks to be a costly but turn key start up for the user that is beginning his or her collection, there are hidden fee's and or subscriptions associated with the Nas. One would the cost of hard drives and the need for an internet connection for tech support to initialize those drives. From briefly reading through the support knowledge base I could not find any hardware specs that are in the inside. So if Raid 0 and you have 8 bays, 1 bay is used for the backup of failure of 1 data drive. What happens when you have 2 drives fail? Is this a software raid 0 or hardware? If hardware Raid and something inside fails, the identical part would need to be replaced in order for the raid to function again. How loud would this NAS be? Most large drives are all 7200 rpm which can become noisy and hot.

A better approach in my book is if you have the intent to start a media collection would be to start small and research your options to fulfill your needs including the future.
I just sold a 12TB Nas to a friend for 200 dollars. A great starter NAS for him to get his feet wet and learn the ins and out of a network storage device without a lot of overhead.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 01:10:40 PM »
While this system looks to be a costly but turn key start up for the user that is beginning his or her collection, there are hidden fee's and or subscriptions associated with the Nas. One would the cost of hard drives and the need for an internet connection for tech support to initialize those drives. From briefly reading through the support knowledge base I could not find any hardware specs that are in the inside. So if Raid 0 and you have 8 bays, 1 bay is used for the backup of failure of 1 data drive. What happens when you have 2 drives fail? Is this a software raid 0 or hardware? If hardware Raid and something inside fails, the identical part would need to be replaced in order for the raid to function again. How loud would this NAS be? Most large drives are all 7200 rpm which can become noisy and hot.

A better approach in my book is if you have the intent to start a media collection would be to start small and research your options to fulfill your needs including the future.
I just sold a 12TB Nas to a friend for 200 dollars. A great starter NAS for him to get his feet wet and learn the ins and out of a network storage device without a lot of overhead.
I have a Zappiti now - recommended by our very own Alan Gouger. You can buy your own drives and initialize them. No big deal. My NAS has 8 Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS Internal Hard Drives in it. Not loud at all. Besides, I put it in my projector closet. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »
I'm loving my Zappiti and my friends think it's totally cool! I have it on it's own WattBox® Uninterruptible Power Supply - 8 Outlets | 1500 VA along with the Zappiti Pro 4K media player.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 01:26:44 PM »
I love making new categories of movies. It's going to be easy to find old favorites this way! 

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 02:13:16 PM »
I love making new categories of movies. It's going to be easy to find old favorites this way!
Are you ripping all of your movies manually or is there an automated process?
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 04:12:00 PM »
Are you ripping all of your movies manually or is there an automated process?
Stick them in the drive. After they rip they are identified, have the soundtrack play when you scroll over the movie, and are categorized. There is no way to " automate " ripping 700 + discs, except the Kscape - where you need to re-buy every movie.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »
Those photos are off my computer screen, where you can access your collections and edit movie info, etc.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 06:19:52 PM »
Those photos are off my computer screen, where you can access your collections and edit movie info, etc.
Very cool. I did some research...that's a lot of coin, but their system is very slick. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 07:01:05 PM »
Very cool. I did some research...that's a lot of coin, but their system is very slick.
If money is no object it’s a plug and play solution. There are relatively less expensive (and more robust) options available. But I liken the difference to SQ (ala the old days with Audyssey built-in vs setting up multiple minidsp’s for Dirac Live). One is plug and play but with a little work, the alternative is much better.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 11:25:05 PM »
Not nearly as much money as K Scape. And of course it's all relative - Trinnov is a lot more coin than a Denon. Eventually one runs out of meaningful upgrades, but this one has wowed my guests! 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 11:28:48 PM »
If money is no object it’s a plug and play solution. There are relatively less expensive (and more robust) options available. But I liken the difference to SQ (ala the old days with Audyssey built-in vs setting up multiple minidsp’s for Dirac Live). One is plug and play but with a little work, the alternative is much better.
If I had to do any work involving computers in my theater, it would be a no go. I have enough time consuming hobbies elsewhere. Like hand loading long range rifle ammunition, which takes an enormous amount of time. And working on bikes, the house, the pool etc. I don't need the theater to suck up time too. Plug and play is where it's at for me.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:33:44 PM by AVSCraig »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal