Judy (Blu-ray) review

Judy (Blu-ray) review
« on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »

Studio: Lions Gate 
Release Date: December 24, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3/5

Plot
Thirty years after rising to global stardom in The Wizard of Oz, showbiz legend Judy Garland (Renée Zellweger) arrives in London to perform a five-week sold-out run at The Talk of the Town. While preparing for the shows, Garland battles with management, reminisces with friends and adoring fans, and embarks on a whirlwind romance with soon-to-be fifth husband Mickey Deans — all while bravely struggling to overcome intensifying anxiety and physical decline.

My Thoughts
I had been told that this film was pretty depressing and wow, they hit the nail on the head. I grew up watching The Wizard of Oz at least once per year around the holidays and always loved the sound of Garland’s voice. Unfortunately, she died of a drug overdose at age 47 when I was only a month old. The film takes place shortly before her last performances in London and spends the majority of the film during that time period. There are flashbacks to her time working for MGM as a young actress—or more like a slave—where the studio’s horrific work conditions contributed to her addiction to drugs.

The film is based on a stage play and is kind of hit or miss. Some scenes work great while others seem to drag or are unnecessary. I would have personally loved to have see more of a biopic look at her entire life versus the short period of time showing her drop into darkness, but given the project’s roots, it wasn’t feasible. Zellweger is outstanding in the role and you forget who she is as she personifies Garland in her speech and mannerisms—she definitely has an Oscar nomination headed her way for the role.

Video 4.5/5

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • From the Heart: The Making of Judy
  • Image Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
After the film concluded, my wife and I both commented how we’d never want to be a movie star or anyone famous. While it looks glamorous from afar, living your life in a fishbowl without any anomality would get old fast and it’s no wonder so many famous people end up in the Betty Ford Clinic at some point in their life. Regardless, this is a depressing film about an American icon and by the end you’ll feel sad for the way she lived her life. Unfortunately, her kids have had drug issues of their own so they didn’t seem to learn their lesson when their mother died at such a young age.

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980

M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (stacked)
Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:32:54 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Judy (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. Your sentiments echo mine pretty much across the board. ;)

Re: Judy (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:24:15 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. Your sentiments echo mine pretty much across the board. ;)
Thanks for chiming in Ralph. Yes, way too depressing, eh?
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal