AVS Discussions
  Go Down

“Slaughterhouse-Five”

Barry

“Slaughterhouse-Five”
« on: December 04, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
“Am I unstuck in time?”  Is the line that begins my memoir about the silver Age of comics, which will be published this year. I took it, or stole it, from Kurt Vonnegut’s “Slaughterhouse-Five” an influential book for me and made into  movie in 1972.  It was released on Blu-ray this week. I saw it last night.

The book was not without huge controversy, with many school districts and libraries banning it for discussing sexuality, violence in war and being (no-joke) “anti-Christian” because of the way the main character, who becomes a pastor in the army during WW2, sees God and Christianity. And life and death. The movie, which is an hour and forty five minutes, cannot possibly get into every issue the book does, nor can it do as deeply.

You see, Billy Pilgrim (Michael Sacks) is unstuck in time. He lives his life not linear in time as we all think we do, but random moment by random moment. He is “transported” from his time in the service, captured by the Nazis and being in Dresden when it was bombed, from being a business man in the 1950s, to his death. Most important is that he is transported to the planet of Tralfamador where he lives and loves with the very sexy Valerie Perrine.  The narrator (who in the book was Kurt Vonnegut) keeps us posted, but the events do not unfold in sequence, after all Billy is unstuck in time.

This concept captures an important point. That is, while our lives are linear, each event each moment is special and should be lived to the fullest. And, in some ways, maybe the events in our lives are not as connected as we think.  I loved the book and I like the movie.  But if you haven’t, I recommend reading the book first! I give the movie a grade of B.

The blu-ray movie (not 4k) was given a 4k restoration, but it looks good, not great, and often has a great deal of grain.  The subdued colors and focus is perhaps to give the movie a surreal look. I did find it distracting at times.  The sound is mono and is not impressive but works well.

The book ends this way, and it was the first time I heard it.  But not the last: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:37:24 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: “Slaughterhouse-Five”
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the review Barry. Appreciate your insight. I never read the book or saw the movie so will check out both.. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

claw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »
I didn't realize this was released in UHD.  I read the book in high school, this was years before the movie was released, and thought it was fantastic.

EDIT: OK, so this is a HD Blu Ray reissue from a 4K restoration.  But there is no UHD disc being released.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:49:44 AM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:40:49 AM »
Haven't seen this movie in years. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal