Turtle Odyssey: Bunji's Big Adventure (UHD Blu-ray) review

Turtle Odyssey: Bunji's Big Adventure (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: December 02, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »

Studio: Shout Factory / IMAX
Release Date: December 3, 2019
Rating: G
Film: 3/5

Plot
Sea Turtles are some of the most majestic and ancient creatures on Earth. For over 100 million years, they have traversed the seas, surviving multiple mass extinctions and playing critical roles in maintaining a healthy, marine food chain. Not only do these friendly animals captivate us as they peacefully glide through the ocean, but their personal journeys of survival are equally fascinating.

Turtle Odyssey explores the unique lifecycle of an Australian Sea Turtle named Bunji and her incredible journey across the ocean. The film follows Bunji from a hatchling into adulthood as she swims thousands of miles, meeting incredible creatures and having some truly wild encounters.

My Thoughts
Overall this is a decent documentary and I did learn a few things. For one, the seat turtles have been a fixture on Earth for over 100 million years and have survived through mass extinctions. Also, they play a key role in maintaining a healthy marine food chain. By the end of the 40-minute documentary, you’ll have a greater appreciation for the animals.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 8/10 (DTS:X)

Special Features:

• Interview wtih Dr. Ian Bell, Senior Conservation Officeer
  • Blu-ray

Conclusion
These IMAX productions are eye candy when it comes to the video. In this case, I saw some very minor banding in the darker underwater sequences that I normally don’t see with other material, but these instances were few and far between. The exterior daytime shots are mesmerizing with intricate details coming alive. Regardless, if you want to learn something new about Sea Turtles, be sure to pick this one up, but realize the replay ability is limited unless you’re demoing your system for a friend.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal