AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Now even the FBI is warning about your smart TV's security

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Now even the FBI is warning about your smart TV's security
« on: December 01, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »
from yahoo,

"Beyond the risk that your TV manufacturer and app developers may be listening and watching you, that television can also be a gateway for hackers to come into your home. A bad cyber actor may not be able to access your locked-down computer directly, but it is possible that your unsecured TV can give him or her an easy way in the backdoor through your router," wrote the FBI."

The FBI warned that hackers can take control of your unsecured smart TV and in worst cases, take control of the camera and microphone to watch and listen in.
from fbi,

Beyond the risk that your TV manufacturer and app developers may be listening and watching you, that television can also be a gateway for hackers to come into your home. A bad cyber actor may not be able to access your locked-down computer directly, but it is possible that your unsecured TV can give him or her an easy way in the backdoor through your router.

Hackers can also take control of your unsecured TV. At the low end of the risk spectrum, they can change channels, play with the volume, and show your kids inappropriate videos. In a worst-case scenario, they can turn on your bedroom TV's camera and microphone and silently cyberstalk you.

TVs and technology are a big part of our lives, and they aren’t going away. So how can you protect your family?

• Know exactly what features your TV has and how to control those features. Do a basic Internet search with your model number and the words “microphone,” “camera,” and “privacy.”
  • Don’t depend on the default security settings. Change passwords if you can – and know how to turn off the microphones, cameras, and collection of personal information if possible. If you can’t turn them off, consider whether you are willing to take the risk of buying that model or using that service.
  • If you can’t turn off a camera but want to, a simple piece of black tape over the camera eye is a back-to-basics option.
  • Check the manufacturer’s ability to update your device with security patches. Can they do this? Have they done it in the past?
  • Check the privacy policy for the TV manufacturer and the streaming services you use. Confirm what data they collect, how they store that data, and what they do with it.
As always, if you have been victimized by a cyber fraud, be sure to report it to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov or call your local FBI office.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Re: Now even the FBI is warning about your smart TV's security
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:59:21 PM »
It shocks me how free people are with their information. I prefer a dumb TV and buying a Roku or Apple TV for my apps (I personally use a Roku).
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:21 AM »
Speaking of people giving out information freely..

Just look at social media..

People put their personal details, trips, house details, car details, everything.

Everything is available online now as a result. lol.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
Speaking of people giving out information freely..

Just look at social media..

People put their personal details, trips, house details, car details, everything.

Everything is available online now as a result. lol.

My job is to post stuff about my home theater etc. across at least 5 social media pages on 4 platforms. So I'm all over the internet. But, I don't have any " smart " TV's, voice activated Alexa type items or really any " internet of things " connected devices. I'm a bit of a Luddite that way. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
I know people who don't want a robot vacuum since it maps your house! :)

Don't even talk about Amazon alexa or Google talking devices. lol .

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 05:54:21 PM »
Is it even possible to buy a really good-performing "dumb" TV these days?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
Good question. I haven't bought a TV in years. 

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
Nope. Unless you consider a projector for your TV...they are still pretty dumb ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »
I just bought a 75" Samsung Q80R. TV's have come a long way. Surprised at everything this TV can do. I was used to searching for a show on Netflix or Prime. Heck with this TV, you do a search and it searches on all of the APPS.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 01:34:06 PM »
I just bought a 75" Samsung Q80R. TV's have come a long way. Surprised at everything this TV can do. I was used to searching for a show on Netflix or Prime. Heck with this TV, you do a search and it searches on all of the APPS.
Of course you need to have a paid subscription to those streaming services - which right now I do not have. You can still buy a " dumb TV " - it's called a monitor ! 

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 10:16:28 PM »
Nope. Unless you consider a projector for your TV...they are still pretty dumb ;)
Well, I do still enjoy my projector. As for the other TVs in our house, none of them are terribly smart.

We have a 60" Vizio that has some apps but it's an older model, an even older Vizio with no apps, and a Sony Plasma.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal