AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Ford v Ferrari

Barry

Ford v Ferrari
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »

Ford v Ferrari is a wonderful, visually exciting movie that looks great on screen and has very impressive and imposing surround sound.  I give the movie a rating of B.

As with all sports movies this movie is really not about the sport of racing but about the man behind it. Enzo Ferrari was a man who made sleek, beautiful and fast cars. Accurately shown in the movie was his distaste for American cars especially those built by Henry Ford II. all the Ford motor company did at that time was to sell nearly 50 million cars and change the landscape of America. That is, Ford and the other companies made affordable and practical vehicles that people bought. Ferrari resented this and often insulted Ford and his company. Ferrari is even shown manipulating Ford to get a higher selling price for his company from Fiat.

This led to Henry Ford II hiring Carroll Shelby, a race car designer, (played by Matt Damon) and his British driver, Ken Miles (Christian Bale) to run against the cars made by Ferrari in the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The story is really about Shelby and Miles developing and designing a new car and developing and designing a new friendship. Yes, there are wonderful racing scenes but it’s really the story of Shelby and Miles in the foreground and Ferrari and Ford in the background. As the relationships develop there is humor, conflict and the study of corporate mentality. The performances  are excellent and believable.

This is a non-spoiler review, but the facts are history.  I only give it a B for two reasons. First, is they distort and manipulate the real facts unnecessarily in this movie. For example they show Fiat buying Ferrari before the race when it happened many years after.

And you probably will hear me complain about this often. I like originality in movies and I hate formula. The formula means I can figure out the scenes before they happen and have probably seen them in other movies. This happens here. Formula for most sports movies is that the last race, game, boxing match begins with the good guy having a tremendous disadvantage. Something broke something, hurts, or some other thing that makes a victory seem impossible. Of course the good guy comes from behind and wins in the last second or two. This kind of happens here.

I just can’t wait to see and hear this movie on my home theater in 4k and surround.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Ford v Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 05:23:43 PM »
Thanks Barry for the review. I have  heard good things and rotten tomatoes gives it a very high rating as well.

Will check it out. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 06:27:47 PM »
I definitely plan on picking this up on 4K Blu-ray.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »
This is one that I definitely want to see. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »
Wife and I watched this last night. Great movie. I rented it, but I think this is one I will buy. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal