The Shining (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Shining (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: September 30, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: October 1, 2019
Rating: R
Film: 5/5

Plot
Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) becomes the winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writer's block. He settles in along with his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and his son, Danny (Danny Lloyd), who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack's writing goes nowhere and Danny's visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel's dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.

My Thoughts
Based on Steven King’s novel, this may be the best adaptation of any of King’s books to hit the silver screen. Granted, it helps that it stars Jack Nicholson and is directed by Stanley Kubrick. I’m not generally a fan of horror films and frankly, find most of them stupid and a waste of time, but this is one of the few that makes the cut mostly due to Nicholson’s portrayal as a crazy man—was he really acting? The story is a slow burn and you can feel the tension rising as it progresses through its three acts and it truly is a film that can give you nightmares.

Warner minted a brand new 4K master for this release and it looks simply marvelous. To grain haters out there, you won’t be as impressed as us old farts who are used to the look of film and miss it when watching today’s digitally shot productions. It just looks more authentic, albeit less polished and clean. Detail is jaw-droppingly good and the HDR definitely helps make the image more inviting.

The audio is presented in DTS-HD MA 5.1 and is mostly front loaded remaining true to its stereo roots. Dialog is always intelligible and is rooted in the center speaker and I found the surround sound to be quite engaging, especially with the climatic third act.

Video 10/10

Audio 8.5/10 (DTS-HD  5.1)

Special Features (Housed on Blu-ray):

• Audio Commentary
  • View from the Overlook: Crafting “The Shining”
  • The Visions of Stanley Kubrick
  • The Making of “The Shining”
  • Wendy Carlos, Composer
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion

We are a few years into the new format and its great to see some of the classics starting to be released in 4K, especially when the studio takes the time to go back and remaster the original 35mm elements and scan them in 4K along with providing HDR/Dolby Vision. The only negative to this disc is that the aspect ratio is slightly changed from its theatrical 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 (the HD standard). Yes, it’s zoomed a little bit, but it doesn’t detract from the amazing picture quality. The timing of this release is to help promote the sequel, Dr. Sleep (trailer below), which hits theaters early next month. If you’re a fan of this film, it’s never looked better and is easy to recommend. 

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:53:31 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

Re: The Shining (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »
I pre-ordered this from Amazon as soon as it was announced.  Disc will arrive today.  
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 03:54:15 PM »
i picked this one up. cant wait to watch! pumped based on ur video review score.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
Great disc indeed.  Even the audio impressed me.

Barry

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:35:23 PM »
David, I have not seen this movie, nor will I ever and I am a huge Stanley Kubrick fan. I am a huge coward. See my PG-13 review of the joker.

My only point is that I think that the Shawshank redemption was Stephen kings best novel brought to the movies!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:28:36 PM »
David, I have not seen this movie, nor will I ever and I am a huge Stanley Kubrick fan. I am a huge coward. See my PG-13 review of the joker.

My only point is that I think that the Shawshank redemption was Stephen kings best novel brought to the movies!
Shawshank was a short story that was adapted...not really a novel, right?
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal