AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC HDR Tone Mapping Screen Shots

Re: JVC HDR Tone Mapping Screen Shots
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 01:17:22 PM »
Wow, what a difference the DTM makes!  This is definitely big news for projector enthusiasts.  And plus it's free to all owners...great job JVC.

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 02:01:05 AM »
Will this also work with games, does this create a lot off lag?

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
Will this also work with games, does this create a lot off lag?
I am told no additional lag vs. regular.  Just leave the projector in Low Latency mode. Of course you still have regular HDR10 with Auto Tone Mapping to use too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
I am told no additional lag vs. regular.  Just leave the projector in Low Latency mode. Of course you still have regular HDR10 with Auto Tone Mapping to use too.
Will video games benefit from JVC's DTM?  I see you answered his question about the lag, but not if the HDR will improve with video games, not just movies.  Thanks!

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Will video games benefit from JVC's DTM?  I see you answered his question about the lag, but not if the HDR will improve with video games, not just movies.  Thanks!
I don't know. You'll have to try it or ask a gamer that has a new JVC to try it. I don't game myself. 

AVSMike

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 03:56:17 PM »
If the game is HDR, then yes, it will improve the image.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
In the photos, such as the Dynamic Tone Mapping photos (photo 1 in first post and three in second), the lamp was in high mode. How would the pictures compare if the lamp were in low mode? Are the benefits of using Dynamic Tone Mapping (versus not using it) relatively similar if lamp is in low brightness mode?

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
In the photos, such as the Dynamic Tone Mapping photos (photo 1 in first post and three in second), the lamp was in high mode. How would the pictures compare if the lamp were in low mode? Are the benefits of using Dynamic Tone Mapping (versus not using it) relatively similar if lamp is in low brightness mode?
One reason they were using high lamp is that the screen there is 165" diagonal. That's pretty big. 

AVSMike

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »
In the photos, such as the Dynamic Tone Mapping photos (photo 1 in first post and three in second), the lamp was in high mode. How would the pictures compare if the lamp were in low mode? Are the benefits of using Dynamic Tone Mapping (versus not using it) relatively similar if lamp is in low brightness mode?
You would still have the same differences in low lamp, if shown on a smaller screen. 165" screen is a little large for using low lamp. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
You would still have the same differences in low lamp, if shown on a smaller screen. 165" screen is a little large for using low lamp. :)

Ok, good to know. I’m hoping 106” screen with 11.5’ throw distance would be fine with low lamp (don’t want to hear the fan in high lamp mode).

AVSMike

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
Ok, good to know. I’m hoping 106” screen with 11.5’ throw distance would be fine with low lamp (don’t want to hear the fan in high lamp mode).
On that size screen, you would be able to use low lamp.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
I hope this is not an ignorant question...

Is the DTM likely more/less/about the same effective than using a Panasonic UB9000 for HDR tone mapping? I have a JVC RS-520...

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »

Is the DTM likely more/less/about the same effective than using a Panasonic UB9000 for HDR tone mapping? I have a JVC RS-520...
I don’t know the answer to this question (I have the Panasonic 820 so I’m interested in this question too), but one advantage of DTM built into the projector is that it would be useful for other (non-Panasonic) sources like Apple TV 4K, etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:29:37 PM by randman »

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »

No. Everything other than the Lumagen, MadVR or this new firmware is a fixed tone mapping solution - even if the UB820 or 9000 adjusts per title. Dynamic tone mapping adjusts the tone mapping per scene ! 

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »
No. Everything other than the Lumagen, MadVR or this new firmware is a fixed tone mapping solution - even if the UB820 or 9000 adjusts per title. Dynamic tone mapping adjusts the tone mapping per scene !
AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Adjusts per scene... now I understand... thanks...

Two follow-ups:

1.  Will the firmware be available for the RS-520?
2.  If so, then would I want to leave HDR Optimiser turned off with the Panasonic? 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal