AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
JVC HDR Tone Mapping Screen Shots
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
JVC HDR Tone Mapping Screen Shots - 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Re: JVC HDR Tone Mapping Screen Shots
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:10:42 PM »
More - the menus show the settings - 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »
Some other new features coming in the new firmware update ( RS3000 - 165" diagonal Stewart StudioTek 130 screen )-

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
WOW...the third picture in the first post shows all I need to see.  I can't wait to see this in action!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 12:52:21 AM »
This is amazing  I did not expect to see such an improvement with Dynamic Tone Mapping (photo 1 in first post and three in second) compared to Auto Tone Mapping (photo 4 in first post and 2 in second).

I had convinced myself not to upgrade from my RS500 but now I am wondering how to make it work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:57:47 AM by cjake »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:51:23 AM »
This is amazing  I did not expect to see such an improvement with Dynamic Tone Mapping (photo 1 in first post and three in second) compared to Auto Tone Mapping (photo 4 in first post and 2 in second).

I had convinced myself not to upgrade from my RS500 but now I am wondering how to make it work.
Yes, it was easily and clearly a big improvement on these tough scenes. You did not have to study the picture to see a difference. The difference was huge between no tone mapping and DTM. The difference was still pretty big between auto tone mapping and DTM on these tough scenes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:52:54 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

claw

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »
I don't recognize those scenes.  What title are they from?   Or are they part of the JVC demo disc?
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
I don't recognize those scenes.  What title are they from?  Or are they part of the JVC demo disc?
I believe Craig said, The Meg.

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 11:39:31 AM »
Yes, from the Meg. My iphone did not do a good job capturing the image. Craig's camera did a much better job. Pretty cool that JVC gave us a private demo, so that we could see and photograph the differences. Just us and the JVC guys in the room. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
Folks that are disappointed JVC didn't have new projectors this year are not realizing how good this added feature can make HDR look. It's like having a new model - and even existing owners get the benefit, which is great. And Anamorphic D mode. Arguably this is as good an improvement as going from the RS400/500/600 to the 420/520/620 was. :)   

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »
JVC is already so far ahead of both Sony and Epson in terms of image quality and features, I don't understand why people are upset that no new models are coming out. Is it a laser light source that they want? Surely these people must understand that adding a laser would increase the MSRP quite a bit. Probably more than most are willing to spend at the moment. 

I'm excited to test this new firmware when it comes out next month. From what I saw at CEDIA it looks like it's going to perform well. Honestly, if it's pretty close to madVR, I may be ditching my HTPC setup and going with something a little less cumbersome to use, like an nvidia shield. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:23 PM »
Frankly, JVC has done good by its customers by releasing this "update" for free. They could have easily came out with new models with the only change being the DTM firmware and screwed last year's buyers over. But given the long wait times, they did the right thing by skipping a year and giving us buyers a lot more value for our money. Way to go JVC!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 04:18:53 PM »
Agreed. I'm sure this update has Lumagen and madVR a little pissed now that frame adaptive tone mapping is included as a built in feature. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:40 PM »
That's an understatement! 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »
Agreed. I'm sure this update has Lumagen and madVR a little pissed now that frame adaptive tone mapping is included as a built in feature.

It remains to be seen whether the JVC firmware works as well as the Lumagen, but most people can't afford the Lumagen or to build a HTPC with MadVR. So if it's only 75% as effective, it's still going to provide a better picture than not having it. And those that want to absolute best will still pony up the $ for the top accessories that provide the best picture. We won't know until it gets compared sometime later this year. So there is probably still a place for the Lumagen and the Envy. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal