AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The Lion's Lair Theater Build

AVSMike

Re: The Lion's Lair Theater Build
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »
With the screen that close to the ceiling, I would recommend some black velvet a few feet out from the screen. What fabric did you use for your screen?
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
With the screen that close to the ceiling, I would recommend some black velvet a few feet out from the screen. What fabric did you use for your screen?
It's Seymour's center stage XD. I will be putting black velvet panels around the screen. 

That paint is really flat on the ceiling, but you've made a good point and recommendation. I'll keep that in mind when I'm building the panels. I may need to order some more velvet if I do that. 

AVSMike

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2020, 01:19:36 PM »
It's Seymour's center stage XD. I will be putting black velvet panels around the screen.

That paint is really flat on the ceiling, but you've made a good point and recommendation. I'll keep that in mind when I'm building the panels. I may need to order some more velvet if I do that.
You can see the screen reflected light on the ceiling already. Covering with  black velvet will make a pretty big difference. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2020, 02:01:25 PM »
It's Seymour's center stage XD. I will be putting black velvet panels around the screen.

What paint is that ? Doesn't look like Rosco flat black. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
What paint is that ? Doesn't look like Rosco flat black.
Its Tricorn Flat Black.  The picture is definitely exaggerating the reflection. It doesn't look even close to reflective in person as the picture is portraying.

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »
You can see the screen reflected light on the ceiling already. Covering with  black velvet will make a pretty big difference. :)
It isn't as reflective in person as the picture portrays, but do you have any recommendations on adding velvet to the ceiling in a way that it doesn't look makeshift?

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 06:53:34 PM »
I couldn't agree more. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »
It isn't as reflective in person as the picture portrays, but do you have any recommendations on adding velvet to the ceiling in a way that it doesn't look makeshift?
Build some wood frames and wrap with velvet.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2020, 07:27:06 AM »
Build some wood frames and wrap with velvet.
Thanks! Just ordered some more triple black velvet for the ceiling.

AVSMike

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »
Thanks! Just ordered some more triple black velvet for the ceiling.
I ripped some scrap wood down to 1.25" x 1". Built rectangles out of them with a cross brace and stapled black velvet to them. Used a couple black trim head tek screws to screw them to joists. With velvet wrapped around the back, they can't rattle, even with all the bass I have in my room.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2020, 05:04:41 PM »
So, over the weekend I created my panels around the screen. Man, people aren't lying when they say it gives off an illusion that the screen is floating. It plays tricks on your mind when looking at them.

I also finally figured out what I wanted to do for the two hopper windows. What I did was create some light weight panels with some scraps I had laying around. I then wrapped them in triple black velvet (same as I used for the screen wall panels). Because these will be friction fitted, I added two earth magnets to each side. The magnets help me pull the panels out easy using my Magnepull and expose the windows. I had left over sound foam that I added to it to help with sound coming from the windows. Finally, I used some small gap sponge tape to seal any light around the edge. They turned out perfect! I can now get it absolutely pitch black no matter the time of the day.

I also ordered my chairs and they were delivered. I went with 8 Landmark seats from Fusion Seating. Both have loveseats in the middle with removable armrests.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »
Nice work. You are getting close ! 8)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
Nice work. You are getting close ! 8)
Thanks. I'm getting so excited. 

AVSMike

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2020, 09:31:00 PM »
So, have you thought about which movie to show first?

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
So, have you thought about which movie to show first?
I'm thinking either Infinity War, Endgame, or Aquaman. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal