AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Question: What tech needed to stream to old receiver?

Question: What tech needed to stream to old receiver?
« on: July 22, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »
I have a 10 + year old Yamaha RX V 1800 receiver. I would like to be able to stream things like Spotify to it so I can use my full speaker setup for digital music. I tried Chromecast audio and the results are lousy. I have attempted to fiddle with all the Chromecast settings around compression but nothing seems to make it sound good through my receiver.

So I'm thinking that there must be another device I can connect to my receiver to receive Spotify commands hopefully through something like Google home. I'm guessing there is a device with on-board chipsets where the music isn't overly compressed and it will sound closer to what a CD sounds like on my system.

The music through Chromecast audio sounds worse than a moderately priced Google Home Speakers sounds, LOL. If anyone can give me some suggestions for other technology I am all ears.

If anyone thinks I should just upgrade my receiver to a modern one I would also like to hear that argument if there is an advantage to it.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Question: What tech needed to stream to old receiver?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »
The new receivers do have apps like Spotify ( and others ) built in -

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx3600h

BUILT-IN BLUETOOTH AND WI-FI CONNECTIVITY
The heart of your wireless network. For Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and AirPlay 2 wireless streaming connectivity, the Denon AVR-X3600H is equipped with an advanced dual antenna transceiver system for robust streaming even in congested urban environments. Enjoy listening to your favorite audio content wirelessly from your smart devices.
With HEOS Built-in technology play the same song in every room or select a different song for each connected room — the choice is yours. HEOS works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, providing effortless voice control.
HEOS supports free and premium Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, Sound Cloud, SiriusXM, Tidal and more.

There is something to be said for getting a new receiver - 10 years is a good run for your current unit, but it's certainly missing the features of the new ones. Maybe JD can chime in.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSjd

• (aka jdsmoothie)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 03:20:05 PM »
On board Spotify has been replaced by Spotify Connect which is started from a phone/tablet.

Review the following articles for more info --> 

https://www.cnet.com/news/spotify-connect-what-is-and-how-it-works/

https://hub.yamaha.com/perfect-together-musiccast-and-spotify-connect/

As this is not a networking model, you may want to consider purchasing the HEOS Link HS2 which will allow you to use the HEOS iOS/Android app to stream Spotify (as well as a dozen other music services) to your Yamaha receiver.

If you plan on upgrading to a 4k TV, you will need to purchase a more current model (2015 or newer that is at least 4k/HDCP 2.2), so consider your other feature/input/output requirements and call to discuss in more detail.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:51:25 PM by AVSjd »
Call me for pricing and availability at (585) 645-1006 from 12pm - 8pm EST daily to include Sat/Sun
Email: jd@avscience.com

AVScience is an authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha, as well as other audio and video related brands (eg. JVC, Sony, Def Tech, Polk, Martin Logan, etc.).

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »
I appreciate the comments.  The Spotify Connect article basically describes what I have tried to do.  I have a paid Spotify plan, I use the app on a tablet to stream to a Chromecast audio dongle plugged into my older receiver. It works, but sounds terrible.  :-\

Perhaps a new receiver is justified. I do have a 4K TV but I avoided the pass through issue with a 4k player that has two HDMI out ports... one to the TV and one to the receiver. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal