AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New on wall speakers

Barry

New on wall speakers
« on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:35 AM »
in our upstairs smaller room we have a nice home theatre set up. We have a Marantz 7011 processor, but the speakers are in wall and very old. Older than DTS and DD True Hd.

I would like to get a set of on the wall speakers, rather than in wall speakers, to replace them! Three questions.
1.I am assuming that on wall speakers will sound better than in wall.  Generally is is that the case? 
2. Would there be a problem just putting on wall on top of the in wall therefore not requiring major surgery.
3. I like Revel, but do you recommend any brand? I also like Svs. A few years ago I got the subwoofer that David recommended and it works perfectly. I’ve always gotten good advice here.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: New on wall speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 01:12:10 AM »
in our upstairs smaller room we have a nice home theatre set up. We have a Marantz 7011 processor, but the speakers are in wall and very old. Older than DTS and DD True Hd.

I would like to get a set of on the wall speakers, rather than in wall speakers, to replace them! Three questions.
1.I am assuming that on wall speakers will sound better than in wall.  Generally is is that the case?
2. Would there be a problem just putting on wall on top of the in wall therefore not requiring major surgery.
3. I like Revel, but do you recommend any brand? I also like Svs. A few years ago I got the subwoofer that David recommended and it works perfectly. I’ve always gotten good advice here.
Barry,

A lot of questions to ask. First, budget? Second, when you say "on wall," do you mean mounted on the wall or could you put up a shelf? Finally, what use are the speakers? Movies or music?
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:09:50 PM »
Thanks David.

I do not want the speakers on shelves, that would not work out well in this room. So they would be speakers attached to the walls. We will be using them for movies, TV shows and sporting events. I would like speakers that would last 15 to 20 years so I don’t know what price range to give you. Perhaps $500 each? IP are even a little bit more if I got something much better.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 12:16:24 PM »
Thanks David.

I do not want the speakers on shelves, that would not work out well in this room. So they would be speakers attached to the walls. We will be using them for movies, TV shows and sporting events. I would like speakers that would last 15 to 20 years so I don’t know what price range to give you. Perhaps $500 each? IP are even a little bit more if I got something much better.

Triad makes good onwall speakers - https://www.triadspeakers.com/product-tag/onwall/

M
artin Logan Motion Series speakers can be mounted on wall - 
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/category/our-speakers

S
VS and Def. Tech. too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
The RBH is an excellent speaker, but a little above his $500 budget. If going a little above budget, I would also look at Monitor Audio SF1 and SF2. It is a nice 3-way speaker.
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/soundframe/soundframe-1-on-wall/
https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/soundframe/soundframe-2-on-wall/
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »
Looks like others have chimed in. Another option is to replace your inwalls with like-sized inwall speakers (or something slightly larger). All the wires are already run and it would be the "easiest" option. Both Craig and Mike are dealers and can hook you up with the options they listed. I'd give them a call and see what they have to say. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »
Looks like others have chimed in. Another option is to replace your inwalls with like-sized inwall speakers (or something slightly larger). All the wires are already run and it would be the "easiest" option. Both Craig and Mike are dealers and can hook you up with the options they listed. I'd give them a call and see what they have to say.
Yep. Would just need to know what you have or measure the size of the opening. Also let us know if it is a 2x4 or 2x6 wall.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
Thanks David.

M & K makes some nice on wall speakers too - https://mksound.com/products/950-series/mp950/

I
 really liked the M & K speakers I had for an in home demo ! :)

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 09:04:44 PM »
M & K makes some nice on wall speakers too - https://mksound.com/products/950-series/mp950/

I
really liked the M & K speakers I had for an in home demo ! :)
Well over his budget :)

I was sad when I had to send the S150 system back, although my vintage ones sound great too!
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 09:10:57 PM »
Well over his budget :)

I was sad when I had to send the S150 system back, although my vintage ones sound great too!
The 950's aren't much over it - 

" Perhaps $500 each? IP are even a little bit more if I got something much better. " 

I just priced them out yesterday. 

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 10:54:47 PM »
The 950's aren't much over it -

" Perhaps $500 each? IP are even a little bit more if I got something much better. "

I just priced them out yesterday.

The 950's sound pretty good too. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 01:20:58 AM »
If my budget is $1000?

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 02:04:14 AM »
If my budget is $1000?
Per speaker?
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
If my budget is $1000?
Is your center channel speaker horizontal or vertical? Are you just wanting to look at on wall or do you also want to consider in wall? If in wall, what minimum size do they need to be?

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal