AVS Discussions
  Go Down

New member, long journey

New member, long journey
« on: June 26, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just registered last night after speaking earlier with Mike G who informed me about this place. Thank you Mike.  I left AVS years ago due to all the pop ups and flare ups. So far very impressed with all the helpful, polite knowledge sharing here. A nice change of pace.

For anyone wondering, my forum name is a bit of double meaning. I got into laserdiscs back in college when I bought the Star Wars special edition set waaay too long ago.  Been dreaming of a proper home theater for years and now I am well underway.  So one reference to that and the other is that the word “Kino” means movie theater in German. 

I’m not German but have spent a lot of time there since I used to work for a company based in Stuttgart.  It was there that I went to my first “Kino” which compared to the megaplexes here is the US was tiny.  Not sure that’s a bad thing.  So thus the “kino” portion of the name.

There, that mystery solved!

I’m going to stop here so that of the bored people can rest.

If you are curious about the “long journey” part of my title please feel free to read my follow post to this one. 

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Hugo

Re: New member, long journey
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:45:32 PM »
Ok, part two....here is my story.  (LONG, have popcorn handy)

I bought my home back in 2006, after a year of Hurricane Katrina relief work in Louisiana. Great people by the way.  Anyway, bought it in no small part due to a bonus room above the garage.
This room has somewhat nice dimensions in that it’s 12’-5” wide and 22’ long with an 8’ ceiling.

However, two things make the room challenging in that it has no door. You enter off a stairway at the rear of the room and that entry is off center to the right.  It’s an open hole for both sound and light. The worse part is that like many 2nd story “Bonus Rooms” here is the South it has knee walls. For anyone unfamiliar with that term it means that the side walls go vertically up about 62” then the start angling inward until you only have about 82” flat horizontal at the top. Nonetheless, I was able, in late 2006, to build a very nice theater. Details below

The theater had a 100” diagonal 16:9 screen that I built using a piece of 1/2” mdf and painted with a screen painting kit that was very popular at the time. ( No jeers please ;-) ).  I used a 720p projector from Studio Experience which was a rebranded and modified Sanyo I believe.  The room was laid out as more of a media room with a large “L” shaped sectional and reclining ends. The audio was a 5.1 system with a 12” sub.  Pretty nice for the times. I am a BIG TIME college football fan and that’s why I built it but movies were very nice too. Hopefully my Yellowjackets (BSME) or my Gators (MBA) will decide to try to win games this year!!!

After a while, work and life got in the way and, my partner Debbie and I, stopped going up there. I always felt that I should have built more of a true theater and less media room btw. We just watched the Panasonic plasma downstairs as it was faster and easier to set up and watch.

After a few health issues and 65-70 hr workweeks ( no doubt related) we stopped going up there and, sadly the room eventually became a storage place. How sad.

Fast forward to a year ago and I finally had enough so I took early, very early retirement and here I am.  After getting my health back to (somewhat) normal I began to think about the “Kino” again.

I am now modifying the room with new carpet, paint and adding proper acoustic treatments. I am building a DIY 115” 16:9 screen using Seymour AV’s Centerstage Xd material and have added a new Marantz SR7012 plus a complete HSU Research horn loaded tweeter front end (L,C,R) as well as side surrounds and their in wall version for the rears. I am adding (4) Atmos ceiling speakers and building a pair of Dayton Audio 15” Ultimax subs. Source will be Roku Ultra 4K and a Panasonic UB9000.  Pretty big darn change I hope and I have a lot of manuals to read.

Lastly, I was debating the whole 4K vs Faux K nightmare till I talked to Mike G and now I am on the list for a JVC RS-1000.  Really, really looking forward to all this but reading through some of the posts here I realize how far behind technically I have become .

So that’s most of the story of the long journey for anyone that may still be reading.  I’ll be asking some questions so please bear with me. I have a lot of catching up to do. And....yes, I will be way more brief in my questions.  :-))

That’s my long journey back. 

Cheers,

Hugo  (Ob1kinoB)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »
Welcome Hugo!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »
Thank you David.
Happy to be here.

Hugo

AVSLaurie

• AVS Leader of the pack
  • Learning something new always makes for a good day
    • AV Science, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 08:39:41 PM »
What a great and interesting story, thank you so much for sharing!

I think you will find we have an intelligent and respectful community on our site, and you don't have to worry about ever seeing those annoying pop-up ads.

Welcome Hugo, and don't hesitate to let any of our team know if we can assist you in any way.
Enjoy!

Friday Flash Sale Promos are valid for one week, unless limited by product availability. Call us for more information at 877-823-4452 or visit us at
AV Science.com

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
Hi Hugo. Glad to have you here. If we can help you, will be happy to do so. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
What a great and interesting story, thank you so much for sharing!

I think you will find we have an intelligent and respectful community on our site, and you don't have to worry about ever seeing those annoying pop-up ads.

Welcome Hugo, and don't hesitate to let any of our team know if we can assist you in any way.
Enjoy!

Thank you
Laurie,

Thanks for for your kind note. I am very much looking forward to being a member here.
I also think that I need to listen, research and educate myself more these threads before I start “talking” :)

Hugo

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »
Hi Hugo. Glad to have you here. If we can help you, will be happy to do so. :)
Mike,

I’m looking forward to working with you. Thanks again for pointing me towards this forum.

Also looking forward to your comments on the RS1000 + UB9000 combo since I have the UB9000 already here.

cheers,
Hugo

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »
Mike,

I’m looking forward to working with you. Thanks again for pointing me towards this forum.

Also looking forward to your comments on the RS1000 + UB9000 combo since I have the UB9000 already here.

cheers,
Hugo
JVC UB900 instructions. Use basic luminance projector. Vincent does a nice walk through on setup of the UB9000.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:35:04 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 04:08:25 PM »
Welcome. I was stationed in Stuttgart in 1971. Was on a hill called Burgholtz between Zuffenhausen and Unterturkheim. i.e. between the Porsche and Mercedes factories!

Barry

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
JVC UB900 instructions. Use basic luminance projector. Vincent does a nice walk through on setup of the UB9000.

Thanks so much, this helps me a lot!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 04:42:01 PM »
Welcome. I was stationed in Stuttgart in 1971. Was on a hill called Burgholtz between Zuffenhausen and Unterturkheim. i.e. between the Porsche and Mercedes factories!
Hi Rob,

I know exactly where you were. I was a block from Porsche Werke on Wernerstrasse and not too far from Daimler....also in Zuffenhausen.  Nice place.

thanks for the welcome.

Grusse,

Hugo

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal