Batman Returns (UHD Blu-ray) review

Batman Returns (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 06, 2019, 12:36:16 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: June 4, 2019
Rating: PG-13
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
When a corrupt businessman and the grotesque Penguin plot to take control of Gotham City, only Batman can stop them, while the Catwoman has her own agenda.

My Thoughts
I can’t remember the last time I sat down to watch this film and frankly, I was shocked at how dark it ended up being. Sure, nothing has changed since its theatrical release, but I can see why Warner changed directors for the next two—although inferior—films. Another aspect of the film was its ample use of sexual innuendo. I’m sure there were many upset parents who took their kids to see a PG-13 film and it borders on a R for a lot of scenes.

Regardless of my comments above, it is an enjoyable film mainly due to the great performances from the villains—Michelle Pfeiffer, Danny DeVito, and Christopher Walken. Sure, they are a bit over the top, but that’s exactly how they wee supposed to be given the tone of the film. As an aside, Pfeiffer looks amazing in her Catwoman suit!

Video 10/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary
  • The Bat, the Cat, and the Penguin
  • Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight Pt. 4 – Dark Side of the Knight
  • Batman Returns: The Heroes
  • Batman Returns: The Villains
  • Beyond Batman
  • Music Video: “Face to Face by Siouxsie and the Banshees
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Blu-ray+ Digital Copy

Conclusion
As usual, this sequel isn’t nearly as good as the original despite the great cast of villains. The story drags throughout the second act and one thing I noticed after all of these years is that Batman isn’t the main character in this story—there’s really multiple supporting roles. If you’re a fan of the film, it look and sounds great on UHD Blu-ray, so you won’t be disappointed in the A/V quality one bit.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:52:01 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up