AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Streaming on the Panasonic 9000

Barry

Streaming on the Panasonic 9000
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »
I am thinking of getting the 9000. I see in the instruction booklet that you can get Netflix.  An y0u also get Hulu and Amazon Prime? This is a big issue!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Streaming on the Panasonic 9000
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »
I am thinking of getting the 9000. I see in the instruction booklet that you can get Netflix.  An y0u also get Hulu and Amazon Prime? This is a big issue!
Barry, get a Roku Ultra. It's the best streaming device that I have. Its apps load quickly without any problems versus what I've found on TiVo and various Blu-ray players. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »
Barry, get a Roku Ultra. It's the best streaming device that I have. Its apps load quickly without any problems versus what I've found on TiVo and various Blu-ray players.
The downside with the Roku (I have the Premiere+) vs the Panny 820 or 9000, is the lack of the Optimizer and related adjustments, to adjust according to the content's metadata.  I agree on the Roku's better speed and UI.  Just wish it had the control features the Panny's provide.

For the OP, I watch Netflix on my 820 (which afaik provide the same streaming performance as the 9000), and it works just fine - HDR and Atmos when available come through just fine.  No stuttering, everything is good.

I haven't tried it again recently, but Amazon was a different matter: there were frequent stutters, such that I stopped using the 820 for Amazon content.  Will have to rely on Roku for that, as Dave indicates.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
The downside with the Roku (I have the Premiere+) vs the Panny 820 or 9000, is the lack of the Optimizer and related adjustments, to adjust according to the content's metadata.  I agree on the Roku's better speed and UI.  Just wish it had the control features the Panny's provide.

For the OP, I watch Netflix on my 820 (which afaik provide the same streaming performance as the 9000), and it works just fine - HDR and Atmos when available come through just fine.  No stuttering, everything is good.

I haven't tried it again recently, but Amazon was a different matter: there were frequent stutters, such that I stopped using the 820 for Amazon content.  Will have to rely on Roku for that, as Dave indicates.
True, but the new JVC's handle the HDR better than the first generation series of JVC HDR projectors (I believe you have one of those, right?). Regardless, I still use the Ruku Premiere (I may have the + too...it's about 3.5"x3.5"x1") and use the HD Fury Vertex to switch to my HDR settings. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »
Houston, we have a problem.  I currently have the Roku Ultra and it is  plugged into my Oppo, which i use as a "pre-amp".  The Oppo has a 4k wire that goes into the projector and a seperate one that goes into my Krell 707 for the audio.

My 707 is not 4k. I NEED the OPPO to make that connection. The Panasonic 9000 does NOT have a port for me to add the Roku so I will lose streaming on the new projector.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
Houston, we have a problem.  I currently have the Roku Ultra and it is  plugged into my Oppo, which i use as a "pre-amp".  The Oppo has a 4k wire that goes into the projector and a seperate one that goes into my Krell 707 for the audio.

My 707 is not 4k. I NEED the OPPO to make that connection. The Panasonic 9000 does NOT have a port for me to add the Roku so I will lose streaming on the new projector.
Correct Barry...I'd keep the Oppo then. No need to get the Panasonic.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »
True, but the new JVC's handle the HDR better than the first generation series of JVC HDR projectors (I believe you have one of those, right?). Regardless, I still use the Ruku Premiere (I may have the + too...it's about 3.5"x3.5"x1") and use the HD Fury Vertex to switch to my HDR settings.
Correct - I have the RS400, where the native Gamma D is the worst of the worst!

I'm at the point where I think I'm getting about as much as I can out of my RS400: UB-820 with the 500-Nit Display Mode, Optimizer On, Dynamic Range Slider up about +3, HDFury Linker to prevent Gamma D auto-switching and retain Dynamic Iris, and with what seems to be a very good Custom Curve (tweaked with some assistance from Dominic Chan).

I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing, and waiting until JVC (or Sony potentially) has something that would work correctly with a DCR A-Lens, good Black Levels and Contrast, etc.  I posted recently elsewhere that I think that it would require an A-Lens in combination with a good Native 4k Projector, to provide a dramatic enough improvement to justify the cost.  Unfortunately, neither JVC nor Sony have anything that will meet these criteria (or at least at a price I'm willing to pay), so I'll sit tight for now.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program!???

claw

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
I am thinking of getting the 9000. I see in the instruction booklet that you can get Netflix.  An y0u also get Hulu and Amazon Prime? This is a big issue!

Netflix and Amazon only.   No Hulu.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Barry

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 12:35:49 AM »

Please let me know what aka claw refers too. Thanks

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal