Cold Pursuit (UHD Blu-ray) review

Cold Pursuit (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »

Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: May 14, 2019
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
Featuring a wildly entertaining mix of dynamic action and dark humor, Cold Pursuit stars Liam Neeson as Nels Coxman, a snowplow driver whose quiet family life is upended after his son’s murder. Nels begins a vengeful hunt for Viking, the drug lord he holds responsible for the killing, eliminating Viking’s associates one by one. As Nels draws closer to Viking, his actions bring even more unexpected and violent consequences, as he proves that revenge is all in the execution.

My Thoughts
I tend to like films with Neeson in them, especially lately when he plays a kick-ass vengeful father looking for some payback. This the Americanized version of the Norwegian film, In Order of Disappearance, where Stellan Skarsgård played the title role of Nils Dickman (while Neeson’s character is named Nels Coxman—LOL). The same director, Hans Petter Moland, is in charge again and I’ve read that the original film is the better of the two, which is a good thing since this one is middling at best.

It falls into the realm of a dark comedy with a heavy emphasis towards dark with a lot of bloodshed. Unlike Neeson’s character in Taken, he doesn’t posses a certain set of skills that he puts to good use, here he’s just a pissed off father who is looking to avenge his son. The first two acts are a bit slow, but the third act is fulfilling, and we were laughing quite a bit at some of the developments.

The A/V quality is decent, but nothing to write home about. The cinematography doesn’t scream” 4K, but some shots of the Rockies do look nice. The Atmos track is somewhat understated, but some gunshots have realistic sound and impact, but those moments are sporadic throughout the two hour runtime.

Video 8/10

Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Welcome to Kehoe: Behind the Scenes of Cold Pursuit
• Interview with Liam Neeson
• Interview with Hans Petter Moland
• Deleted Scenes
• Theatrical Trailer
• Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
During the very slow first act, I contemplated giving up on it, but I’m glad I stuck it through. Things pick up in the middle of the film and then ending should leave you fulfilled. The A/V quality is sold, but not earth shattering. This one may be best to wait to see on HBO or Netflix, so unless you’re a fan of dark comedies and Laim Neeson, I’m not sure there’s enough replay value to warrant a purchase. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up