AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Field of Dreams - 4K Blu-ray

Field of Dreams - 4K Blu-ray
« on: May 18, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
This was released by Universal and it surprised me as I wasn't expecting this kind of catalog title to be released at this stage on the format, but I thought it was pretty cool they did.  It's a nice, relaxing movie especially if you're a baseball fan or historian (as I kind of am).

It's a very nicely mastered catalog title.  Filmed on 35mm, the grain is nicely intact and well encoded.  Detail is pretty good, but it's a bit of a softer looking movie which is kind of in sync with its dreamy atmosphere.  Colors are very nicely saturated (although skin tones seemed to push red a bit in dimly lit scenes, but maybe that is how it was intended).  Contrast and black levels very solid.  The takes on a filmic look.  I have to say, Universal has been releasing some nicely remastered catalog titles lately so this is very encouraging.

Audio very solid and dialogue nice and clear.

Highly recommended if you like this movie.

It's also available for a few more dollars as a steelbook (very bottom image).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:26:12 AM by DavidHir »

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Field of Dreams - 4K Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 11:58:28 AM »
It is great to see titles like this released on 4K. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the choices for 4k, but the more the better. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »
Universal doesn't send our press releases or screeners for catalog 4K titles either, so it's hard to know what's coming. I've always enjoyed this film too. Costner and Jones are both excellent.  
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 04:15:05 PM »
If you re-master it, they will come.

The end of this movie brought tears to my eyes. Playing catch withmy dad turns out to be one of the greatest memories of my life.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal