AVS Discussions
  Go Down

How TV Ownership affects us

Barry

Re: How TV Ownership affects us
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
Great historical write up Barry. Never knew the details prior to reading this. Great info. :)
Just HI, TRipple J.  Got it right this time!
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »
David:

For the last fifty years traditional sitcoms always had the noisy/annoying but funny neighbor or co-worker.  Mel Cooley was one on the Dick Van Dyke Show, Danny Devito was the best on Taxi.

Chuck Lorre, the producer/writer of Big Bang, took those annoying characters and in Cybill, Rosanne, Two and a Half men, and even Mom, brought them center stage and built the show around them.

What I saw of Two and a Half men was at first funny, then annoying. As with his others the characters never grew, they remained disgusting and immure.  And on this show it was often the women, their mother, wives and girlfriends that help ruin these men.

Big Bang was an apology for Two and a Half Men!  The characters, some disgusting at the beginning, remained funny but grew and matured. Women made them better. It’s good it ended now because in real life Sheldon is 46, although he plays a role ten years younger.  But he experiences  growth from being self-centered and annoying to being thoughtful and caring. (And we know he will even be a father!)  Delaying that would have been frustrating on that show.

The character of Penny should also be mentioned.  She was introduced as a pretty air-head who wanted to be an actress, but was a waitress. She also slept around with not terrific guys.  Give her credit and the writers credit for letting her grow up too.  She finds a serious job, does well and becomes more understanding of others. (But she never had any real girlfriends.  Even at the end she just was friends with the two co-stars.)

I love Young Sheldon, a show that totally took me by surprise. (Which is why I will never totally give up on TV)  And the ending this week was the perfect coda to The Big Bang Theory.  I REALLY feel that that could also reach out to young people having a hard time and give them some hope that their future can be better.  That ending was unforgettable!

Well said Barry. Very well said. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
One interesting point regarding the decline of Broadcast TV.  The last episode of MASH drew over 100 million viewers. The last episode of Cheers drew 80 million.  The last episode of Big Bang drew 18 million.

Johnny Carson drew nearly 20 million people to the tonight shown in 1993 Combined the three late night hosts get 7 million.  Colbert, with nearly 3 million viewers is the winner.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:00:23 AM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 11:59:16 PM »
One interesting point regarding the decline of Broadcast TV.  The last episode of MASH drew over 100 million viewers. The last episode of Cheers drew 80 million.  The last episode of Big Bang drew 18 million.

Johnny Carson drew nearly million people to the tonight shown in 1993 Combined the three late night hosts get 7 million.  Colbert, with nearly 3 million viewers is the winner.
Johnny was a lot funnier than any of the current late night hosts. Sat. Night Live was a lot funnier back then too ( Dan Akyroyd / John Belushi / Chevy Chase / Jane Curtin / Laraine Newman / Gilda Radner ). Maybe streaming networks are diluting TV in general. When it was the Big 3 networks, all the talent was on 3 networks. Now, if you don't pay for Netflix or HBO or Amazon Prime, you just won't ever see those shows or that talent. Things are too spread out. I would say due to greed, but I think it's just an evolution of how things are. Those of you that don't like monopolies, this is the opposite - we might find shows / talent spread over dozens of pay to view streaming networks.  
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 12:06:45 AM »
Craig, you are right, talent goes where the money is.  An extreme example is that all that comedy used to be on radio!

But also cable and streaming have no censorship. TV is censored by the FCC, The sponsors and the national association of advertisers. Cable and streaming also do not have the strict time restraints of broadcast TV.  Shows can run over 30 minutes. Finally, streaming and cable aim their shows to their paid subscribers, many of whom are older. TV aims it shows at the younger viewers advertisers want to reach. 

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 07:19:11 AM »
Barry, you are 100% on the money here..

I am not surprised that broadcast channels are still not even close to 1080p today. Forget about even going to 4K when 4K TV's are available.

ABC and FOX are still 720p

At least CBS and NBC are 1080i

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »
David,

Sometime struck me as very funny. I bet we’d never predict this. You and I discussed three years ago the cancellation of Last Man Standing.

At the time, it was produced by Fox and being broadcast on Disney (ABC).
Now it’s produced by Disney and being broadcast on Fox!

Would you have believed me if I told you that would happen?😁

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
David,

Sometime struck me as very funny. I bet we’d never predict this. You and I discussed three years ago the cancellation of Last Man Standing.

At the time, it was produced by Fox and being broadcast on Disney (ABC).
Now it’s produced by Disney and being broadcast on Fox!

Would you have believed me if I told you that would happen?😁
Nope...I would have called the people with the white jacket and van to pick you up :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal