AVS Discussions
  Go Down

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (UHD Blu-ray) review

Studio: Universal / Dreamworks
Release Date: May 21, 2019
Rating: PG
Film: 4/5

Plot
What began as an unlikely friendship between an adolescent Viking and a fearsome Night Fury dragon has become an epic trilogy spanning their lives. In this next installment, the heroic pair finally fulfill their destinies; Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) as the village chief and ruler of Berk alongside Astrid (America Ferrera), and Toothless as the dragon leader of his own kind. As the Vikings and dragons of Berk face their darkest threat yet, the evil Grimmel (F. Murray Abraham), and Toothless discovers his soulmate, Light Fury – the bonds of Hiccup and Toothless' friendship are tested like never before.

My Thoughts
This is one my daughter’s favorite franchises and even as an adult she couldn’t wait to see it. Lucky for her, her roommate works at Dreamworks and she got to go the premiere and absolutely loved it. With high expectations, my wife and I sat down to watch it and enjoyed the tale, although not as much as our daughter did.

The first act is extremely fast paced with Hiccup and his followers rescuing captured dragons and its after one of these missions that we get introduced to the villain and get to meet Toothless’ soulmate. The story slows down a bit in the second act and sets things up for the finale, which has a satisfying conclusion.

The animation is top-notch and looks phenomenal on UHD Blu-ray. The 4K upconversion is from a 2K source, but you’d be hard pressed to find anything to complain about. Fine edges are razor sharp and the WCG is put to phenomenal use with a bright and vivid color palette. The first time you see the village Berk in the daylight is jaw dropping. The Atmos track is also excellent and features plenty of panning effects, active use of the overhead speakers, and some sub 20Hz LFE.

Video: 9.5/10

Audio: 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Alternate Opening with Intro by Writer/Director Dean DeBlois
  • Dreamworks Shorts:
        o Bilby  
        o Bird Carma
  • Deleted Scenes
  • How to Voice Your Viking
  • Creating an Epic Dragon Tale
  • How I learned from Dragons
  • Brave Wilderness Presents: Nature + Dragons + Awesome
  • The Dragon Sheep Chronicles
  • A Deck of Dragons
  • Growing Up with Dragons
  • The Evolving Character Design of Dragons
  • Drawing Dragons
  • Epic Villain
  • Astrid’s Whole Dragon Trilogy in 60 Seconds
  • Welcome to New Berk
  • Feature Commentary
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
DeBlois has been firm that this will be the last of the Dragon movies, although some type of spinoff from Dreamworks could be in the works. Over the course of three films, we’ve witnessed how Hiccup has come of age and this film closes out his story in an emotionally satisfying way. The 4K treatment is excellent and if you’re a fan of the franchise, be sure to pick it up. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:35:10 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:05:34 PM »
Thanks for the review. I like the franchise and will get this one as well. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal