AVS Discussions
  Go Down

TV is changing: Steve Harvey fired

Barry

TV is changing: Steve Harvey fired
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:37:36 AM »
 On the other site David and I would often discuss how the TV industry has changed. It is all about money, but that used to mean it was all about ratings, now it is about ownership and the money made on the back end….in syndication and streaming.

We discussed that Disney (ABC) cancelled Tim Allen’s “Last Man Standing” although it had very good ratings. That is because, in its sixth year Disney’s production costs go up, but Fox owned the show and Disney gets nothing on the back end.  Ironically, FOX picked up the show and then Disney bought FOX and now Disney gets the back end money too!

Steve Harvey is a TV personality that hosts at least four shows.  In syndication he is on “Family Feud,” “The Steve Harvey Morning Show,” on ABC he is on Celebrity Family Feud and for NBCUniversal he does The Steve Harvey daily talk show and a weekly program, “Little Big Shots.”  Well, Harvey, last year, took away the NBC ownership and totally produced the show with his own company.

NBC announced today that it was cancelling the daytime show,  because they don’t own it. Then NBC fired Harvey from Little Big Shots. The new daytime talk show replacing his will be the Kelly Clarkson show, which will be wholly owned and operated by NBC.  Basically NBC did not discuss this with Harvey, they just announced it, but he knew it was coming.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: TV is changing: Steve Harvey fired
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:48:57 AM »
That sucks for Steve. I like him - he is super funny at times ! Sounds like TV is more cutthroat than ever. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:50:14 AM »
I also like Steve. He is a great entertainer.

With all the consolidation/buyouts/mergers/acquisitions, etc., it is more and more about the money and with streaming, the pot of gold here, everybody wants their hands in it.

Yesterday, it was announced that Disney will take full operations control of Hulu from Comcast and Comcast will sell to Disney 33% of it's stake in hulu per cnbc.

Now, it is a race to consolidate and grab as much of the streaming and distribution money as possible.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
How the government is allowing all of this consolidation is beyond reason. So much for controlling monopolies. Frankly, Facebook and Google should be broken up as well. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
I like Harvey, he's a funny guy in small doses. 

Do you think this may be related to the beauty padget incident? Big corporations tend to have long memories and not forgive very easily, things that make them look bad in the public eye.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 11:57:22 AM »
I'm not sure Tracy...he's great on Family Feud though. I doubt he loses that gig. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
Yeah, he is great at Family Feud.

I am more concerned about all of these corporations getting together (merger/acquisition, etc) and having full control on streaming...
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Barry

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
I like Harvey, he's a funny guy in small doses.

Do you think this may be related to the beauty padget incident? Big corporations tend to have long memories and not forgive very easily, things that make them look bad in the public eye.
Ratingswise thus was a good thing. He was allowed to come back the next year and they all got a hell of a lot of publicity over this
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal