The Karate Kid (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Karate Kid (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: April 22, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »

Studio: Sony
Release Date: April 16, 2019
Rating: PG
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Celebrate the 35th anniversary of the coming-of-age classic — from Academy Award®-winning director (1976, Rocky) John G. Avildsen — that will leave you cheering! There is more to karate than fighting. This is the lesson that Daniel (Ralph Macchio), a San Fernando Valley teenager, is about to learn from a most unexpected teacher: Mr. Miyagi (Noriyuki "Pat " Morita in his Academy Award®-nominated performance [Best Supporting Actor, 1984]), an elderly handyman who also happens to be a master of the martial arts. His training and these vital lessons will be called into play when an outmatched Daniel faces Johnny, the skilled leader of the Cobra Kai — a vicious gang of karate school bullies — in a no-holds-barred karate tournament for the championship of the Valley.

My Thoughts
One of my favorite moves from the 80s makes its debut on 4K and it looks wonderful. In fact, it probably hasn’t looked this good since it screened in theaters 35 years ago. The story itself is timeless and should never had been remade nearly a decade ago by Sony, but that’s beside the point.

The relationship that’s developed between Daniel and Mr. Miyagi is genuine and his alternative teaching methods certainly bring a smile to my face as he teaches the young man valuable lessons, builds up his muscles, and even better, gets some chores done around the house. I’ve watched this movie at least 20 times over the years and glad that it looks and sounds so great on UHD.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• ALL-NEW: “Remembering The Karate Kid” – featuring new interviews with Ralph Macchio, William Zabka and Martin Kove (on the 4K UHD disc)
  • “Blu-Pop” Pop-Up Track – Activate the Blu-Pop feature to reveal pop-up trivia, interviews and more secrets from the film!
  • Commentary with Director John G. Avildsen, Writer Robert Mark Kamen and Actors Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita
  • “The Way of the Karate Kid” Multi-Part Making-of Featurette
  • “Beyond the Form” Featurette
  • “East Meets West: A Composer’s Notebook”
  • “Life of Bonsai” Featurette
  • Theatrical Trailer (on the 4K UHD disc)
  • Blu-ray +Digital Copy

Conclusion
Younger audiences may not care for the 80’s vibe, but as someone who grew up in that era, it doesn’t bother me one bit. The timeless story hits on all cylinders and holds up quite well today. Throw in a fabulous video presentation and an upgraded Atmos track its easy to recommend this one.

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: The Karate Kid (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
Thanks for the review. I will check it out since i grew up in the 80s.

I tried to show this to my kids a few years ago but they were not interested in checking it out..
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. Totally agree!

Regards,

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »
Nice review David!
JVC RS2000K, 144” Stewart Studiotek 130 Cinemascope screen, Anthem AVM 60, Oppo 203 UHD Blu ray player, Panasonic UB820, B&W 803 D2s, B&W HTM D2, B&W 805s, B&W CCM ceiling speakers.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 05:53:07 PM »
Nice review.

This is on my list to buy, but not at the top yet (too many others to still get!).

Go Up