Go Down

Talvisota / Unknown Soldier

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Talvisota / Unknown Soldier
« on: April 19, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »
Talvisota / Unknown Soldier - Finnish WWII double feature

Talvisota ( The Winter War - 1989) 3 hours 31 minutes - Finnish, with English subtitles.

Picture - 8.75
Sound - 7
Movie - 8.5

This is a very good film about a part of WWII history I knew nothing about.  In 1939, after Nazi Germany invaded Poland in September, Russia attacked Finland intending to occupy it. The film follows Finnish farmers called up as reservists to defend Finland from the Soviet invasion. This 1989 film has had a good 4K restoration and looks great. Audio is good, but being from the 1980's, don't expect a modern Atmos soundtrack. Still, all my guests thought it was quite good.

Trivia - the tanks used are original Soviet T-26, captured by the Finns during the Continuation War of 1941-44 and then used as the backbone of the Finnish tank forces. Several are in driving conditions in Finnish museums.

Unknown Soldier - 2017 ( 3 hours ) Finnish, with English subtitles.

Picture - 9.5
Sound - 9.5
Movie - 9.5

This film takes place during the Finnish Continuation War, when Finland attempted to regain territory lost to the Soviet Union in the Winter War. I found this film to be very realistic, gritty, with an excellent picture and a pretty aggressive soundtrack. Good bass effects. One of the better war movies I've seen, and an interesting bit of history I knew nothing about. Do some reading / research before watching these films, and it will give you a greater understanding of what poor little Finland went through during WWII. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:24:11 PM by AVSCraig »
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Talvisota / Unknown Soldier
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:23:15 PM »
Thanks for the review. I enjoy war movies so will keep an eye out for it.

My favorite is the very old "All quiet on the western front", black and white world war I movie.. It is based on the book of the same name, excellent book as well.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 02:08:46 PM »
3 hours...wow...that's a long movie :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
3 hours...wow...that's a long movie :)
Not as long as actually fighting the Soviets would have seemed at the time. Neither movie drags - I've had 90 minute movies that seemed a lot longer !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal