AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Playing Back Movies from a Computer to a 4K Smart TV

Barry

Playing Back Movies from a Computer to a 4K Smart TV
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:35:27 PM »
 A friend is buying a new TV: a 55 OLED 4K Smart TV.

Here is the thing: He has digital recordings of dozens of movies on his laptop Windows computer and would like to attach the computer to the TV to see the movies.

What must he do, or what must he buy, in regards to the new TV to make this happen? Does an HDMI  connection give him a TV picture and sound or is there more to it than that?  Is there something special he must look for in the TV? (He does NOT want to have to make DVD recordings.)

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Playing Back Movies from a Computer to a 4K Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 02:10:25 PM »
If his computer has HDMI out, that may be the only thing he needs to do. I've never tried this myself, so I'm no expert, but the HDMI handshake should tell the computer what resolution the TV is. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal