AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Windows 7 doesn't see my UnRaid NAS

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
Windows 7 doesn't see my UnRaid NAS
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:24 PM »
I just did a fresh install of Windows 7, and Windows doesn't see my NAS. This has happened in the past and then reappeared, and then disappeared again. I have turned off the firewall, verified WORKGROUP is not Workgroup, and it still doesn't see it unless I do one of the following things...
1: Input the IP address into windows like this: \\192.168.1.xxx
2: Input into file explorer as \\192.168.1.xxx\

Once you input it this way you can do what you want, but as soon as I close the window, and re-open it it is gone again. I have searched google, and I see it is happening to others too. I have tried some of the fixes that some (not all)people say fix it but none do. Does anyone know how to fix this?

This problem is only with Windows. I can see my NAS via Samba, and NFS via my Kodi boxes.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:38:31 PM by ellisr63 »
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

Re: Windows 7 doesn't see my UnRaid NAS
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »
What happens when you type \\tower in Windows Explorer?  Did you setup a user on UnRAID to access the server from Windows (i.e. with password authentication)?  Also, how have you established IP address of your server?  Are you reserving the IP address in your router and have you made any modifications to your network.cfg file in your boot directory (i.e. to specify a static "local" IP address)?

NBPk402

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
What happens when you type \\tower in Windows Explorer?  Did you setup a user on UnRAID to access the server from Windows (i.e. with password authentication)?  Also, how have you established IP address of your server?  Are you reserving the IP address in your router and have you made any modifications to your network.cfg file in your boot directory (i.e. to specify a static "local" IP address)?
If i go into File Explorer and click on Network, then type in \\Tower\ in the window...it works. If I go into Google, I have to type in the IP address to get it to pull up UnRaid. I never set up a user to use UnRaid, nor do i have any passwords set on Windows 7. My IP addresses are all setup manually.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
If i go into File Explorer and click on Network, then type in \\Tower\ in the window...it works. If I go into Google, I have to type in the IP address to get it to pull up UnRaid. I never set up a user to use UnRaid, nor do i have any passwords set on Windows 7. My IP addresses are all setup manually.

I just assumed you were using unRAID v5 or later? If so, you would need to setup a user account to access your shares as root is no longer an option with these versions (security feature).

If you're still on v4.7 or earlier then it was possible to access unRAID shares without a user account for read/write access using the root account.

Finally, since you can't seem to get the "tower" to show in network then you might consider editing your network.cfg file in your /boot/config directory of your flash drive.  Here's a link to the wiki for a sample configuration:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Verifying_Network_Connectivity

NBPk402

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 06:38:32 PM »
I just assumed you were using unRAID v5 or later? If so, you would need to setup a user account to access your shares as root is no longer an option with these versions (security feature).

If you're still on v4.7 or earlier then it was possible to access unRAID shares without a user account for read/write access using the root account.

Finally, since you can't seem to get the "tower" to show in network then you might consider editing your network.cfg file in your /boot/config directory of your flash drive.  Here's a link to the wiki for a sample configuration:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Verifying_Network_Connectivity

I am on UnRaid 6.2.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 06:53:46 PM »
I am on UnRaid 6.2.

I'm on 6.2.4. Since I saw you're using Kodi as a front end to your Android boxes in the other thread, how are you configuring your shares in Kodi for access? Must have a username and password as guests have no access and root is not an option.

I know I'm mixing up access to your server with access to your shares but there is a connection. I can't access my server in my Win 7 VM without entering a username and password.  If your server is available in Win 7 without entering anything at all then it's likely you have saved the credentials from a previous login. Try deleting all of the credentials in credentials manager and restarting Win 7.  If there is no credentials then can you confirm if you have read/write access to the server or only read access? My final guess would be you might have some user info "stuck" somewhere from a previous version of UnRAID. You can confirm this by checking what users are setup in the Users tab of the UnRAID console?

NBPk402

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:59 PM »
I'm on 6.2.4. Since I saw you're using Kodi as a front end to your Android boxes in the other thread, how are you configuring your shares in Kodi for access? Must have a username and password as guests have no access and root is not an option.

I know I'm mixing up access to your server with access to your shares but there is a connection. I can't access my server in my Win 7 VM without entering a username and password.  If your server is available in Win 7 without entering anything at all then it's likely you have saved the credentials from a previous login. Try deleting all of the credentials in credentials manager and restarting Win 7.  If there is no credentials then can you confirm if you have read/write access to the server or only read access? My final guess would be you might have some user info "stuck" somewhere from a previous version of UnRAID. You can confirm this by checking what users are setup in the Users tab of the UnRAID console?
I just checked the Users tab, and the only user is Root. I will need to check the other info you were asking about too.

As far as my Kodi boxes... I just select Samba or NFS , and then punch in my IP address. Once i do that i can see all my shared folders on UnRaid. I don't know what I have done but there are no users assigned on my Kodi boxes, UnRaid, or Windows 7.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:01:04 PM by ellisr63 »

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:17:51 PM »
I just checked the Users tab, and the only user is Root. I will need to check the other info you were asking about too.

As far as my Kodi boxes... I just select Samba or NFS , and then punch in my IP address. Once i do that i can see all my shared folders on UnRaid. I don't know what I have done but there are no users assigned on my Kodi boxes, UnRaid, or Windows 7.

I'm pretty sure this is the root cause of your issue.  I had something similar happen to me but that was back on v5. You shouldn't be able to use the root account to access shares from outside of your server in v6 of UnRAID.

NBPk402

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is the root cause of your issue.  I had something similar happen to me but that was back on v5. You shouldn't be able to use the root account to access shares from outside of your server in v6 of UnRAID.

Thanks, I will have to figure out how to solve this problem then. Not sure if this means a reinstall of UnRaid V6 or not though.

NBPk402

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
Last night the problem was solved. There is a plugin to make UnRaid the Master Server. Once I installed it it showed my OpenElec (Don't know why) as the master server. I unplugged the OpenElec machine, and then it showed UnRaid as the server. I had to reboot Win 7 several times, but it then showed "Tower" once again. I also found out that the way I setup UnRaid will not require a user to log in to a non root account. The reason for this is all my shares are set to public.

Thanks for your assistance,
Ron

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
Last night the problem was solved. There is a plugin to make UnRaid the Master Server. Once I installed it it showed my OpenElec (Don't know why) as the master server. I unplugged the OpenElec machine, and then it showed UnRaid as the server. I had to reboot Win 7 several times, but it then showed "Tower" once again. I also found out that the way I setup UnRaid will not require a user to log in to a non root account. The reason for this is all my shares are set to public.

Thanks for your assistance,
Ron

Ah ok...understood.  If your server is connected to the internet though then you may want to review your setup. Ransomware is a real issue that could wipe out your entire database. Squid over on the UnRAID forum has a plugin to try and deal with it but leaving your server shares set to public with an internet connection is definitely risky to say the least.

NBPk402

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
Ah ok...understood.  If your server is connected to the internet though then you may want to review your setup. Ransomware is a real issue that could wipe out your entire database. Squid over on the UnRAID forum has a plugin to try and deal with it but leaving your server shares set to public with an internet connection is definitely risky to say the least.
Shouldn't my firewall stop that?

NBPk402

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »
...and the saga continues. I just went back to windows explorer and it is gone again! :( The PC logged off on me overnight and undid whatever had fixed it apparently.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »
Shouldn't my firewall stop that?
Software or hardware? In any case, your current setup is more like an invitation for something bad to happen.  If I were you, at the very least I would create a user profile for all of your kodi boxes with read only access. If you need write access from your Win7 PC then create a separate user for that machine with read/write and only export the shares (user or disk shares doesn't matter) you actually need write access.  For example, if you're copying media from your Win 7 machine to Tower then don't bother exporting your whole "Media" share with read/write access but rather, just the one disk share that you're currently filling up and then change permissions as you add new disks.  I think you'll find adding a user (or two) will solve your Win 7 problem.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
I came across your thread on the LimeTech forum.  Johnathan and Frank both gave good advice. The only thing is Frank was trying to isolate your problem without addressing your security issues.  I think Johnathan hit the nail on the head.  In the end it's up to you but I don't see how adding a user for your Win 7 machine would hurt to try?  Once you use Windows Credential Manager to save the login, you can bet Tower will show up in your network without you having to type it in.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal