AVS Discussions
  Go Down

2019 Sony 4K Projector Owners Thread

Re: 2019 Sony 4K Projector Owners Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
The contrast slider adjustment has been explained to you by two different posters. You use the manual iris to cut the light output. If you still can't get there, you should use an ND filter. Yet you keep asking for an explanation for this when it has been given to you. At some point it just becomes trolling and people are going to stop replying to you.
Then please provide a copy of that reply i failed to see any explanation other than it destroys the digital and your measurements are wrong.
Explain how it works, how it works different than the gain adjustment, what happens with the bit resolution, is it possible to maintain full color and gamma tracking, as ilustrated i have perfect clipping at level 235 at a -7 contrast, the only effect i see is reduced lightoutput wich reduces on off contrast as black level is fixed, and gray filters adds reflections and further optical contrast degradation is that better than loosing a bit of on off contrast.?
I have multiple different high quality ND filters, and done quite a few experiments and will claim that kills the image more than lowering lightoutput a bit using the contrast adjustment.
Im waiting for Dyan to explain how he clips 235 by lowering contrast, if his JVC works oposit mine.

Here is a on screen measurement with 0 contrast 18fl, and a off scren measurement with a -10 contrast, maybe you could show your calibration report from your projector and make a new one with a - contrast setting, and maybe show a clipping pattern and how it reacts and the direct negative consequenses.

« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
Two people have told you not to use the contrast slider adjustment for light output adjustment. Both of them have told you why you should not use this adjustment and that you should use the manual iris. I myself have also posted this and yet you continue. Consider this warning number two to stop or you will be gone.

The iris have no more range, and basically just stating its wrong to do so is not a explanation, and i challenge that, by posting ilustrations and calibrations, yet none of you guys know how to properly document your claims other than it is so, wich ill say if thats the tecnical level here, and threads about banning if i dont agree with you guys with your very limited cababilities to explain yourself, its not that much other than your loss.
So for the sake of documenting your statement please copy past the answers you concider explaining why not to , and how that line up with my documentation, or you need a eye doctor as well? or is that question concidered a personal insult.?;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:33:53 PM by stridsvognen »

« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
I have no idea what test pattern that is. Where does it say that bar is 235? I also have no idea if you're sending full 0-255 or limited 16-235. I also have no idea what other settings you have enabled. All I know is, if your chain is set up properly, you shouldn't need to set the Contrast setting that low. As Andreas points out, generally speaking, you don't need to make adjustments to either Contrast or Brightness to clip and crush at the correct digital levels and if you do generally it's only 1 point off, not 7.
all is 16-235 all true the chain normal setup, im telling you its clipping perfect at bar 235, do i need to pull up another pattern to show you.?
Maybe you could adjust your contrast -7 and ilustrate what you see on the clipping pattern as ill guess it will be the same, and still my iris is -15 and 18fl so to match a 15fl for comparisons sake ill need to lower contrast, only visual and measureble difference is that i lower on off contrast by lowering lightoutput and slightly compressing the bit resolution in the projector, exactely like you do when you adjust green and blue gain down to balance your colors.

Ill like to understand why your projector clips 235 when you lower your contrast, thats highly unusual.

A few clicks on the remote and the contrast is back to 0 and its all as you guys like it, so whats the actual problem.?

I have 5 projectors up so sometimes compromises is needet to make proper comparisons with identical lightoutput.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:28:39 PM by stridsvognen »

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »
all is 16-235 all true the chain normal setup, im telling you its clipping perfect at bar 235, do i need to pull up another pattern to show you.?
Maybe you could adjust your contrast -7 and ilustrate what you see on the clipping pattern as ill guess it will be the same, and still my iris is -15 and 18fl so to match a 15fl for comparisons sake ill need to lower contrast, only visual and measureble difference is that i lower on off contrast by lowering lightoutput and slightly compressing the bit resolution in the projector, exactely like you do when you adjust green and blue gain down to balance your colors.

Ill like to understand why your projector clips 235 when you lower your contrast, thats highly unusual.

A few clicks on the remote and the contrast is back to 0 and its all as you guys like it, so whats the actual problem.?

I have 5 projectors up so sometimes compromises is needet to make proper comparisons with identical lightoutput.

Yes, sorry, I misspoke. But the point I was making still holds true in that you're lowering your light output thus creating an issue trying to take an accurate contrast measurement.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
Yes, sorry, I misspoke. But the point I was making still holds true in that you're lowering your light output thus creating an issue trying to take an accurate contrast measurement.
I cannot find in this thread where anybody tried to claim accurate contrast measurements. Can you please provide me a
link? 
Lord Voldermort 9518LC Mooded 200lbs of awsomnes

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »
I cannot find in this thread where anybody tried to claim accurate contrast measurements. Can you please provide me a
link?
Which particular projector ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
Speaking of Sony 4K projectors, don't forget that the VW885es has a $5K off instant rebate from Sony. Good until 8 - 31. :)

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. Somebody might need to see an eye doctor. :-[ So who needs to see an eye doctor?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:27:39 AM by Greg9518LC »
Lord Voldermort 9518LC Mooded 200lbs of awsomnes

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
link?
Contrast measurements were provided. When that happens we assume they're taken with the same set of standards used as everyone else. If that's not the case, why post the measurements? They wouldn't be comparable to everyone else's. So, if they aren't "accurate", why post them in the first place?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2019, 11:58:22 AM »

Sat. August 31st is the last day to take advantage of Sony's $5000.00 off instant rebate on the VW885es 4K laser projector. Just FYI. 

AVSMike

« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
Today Sony sent out an email with an exchange offer.

Sony FPJ Trade in Program 9/30 – 12/29

"A customer can trade in any Barco, BenQ, DPI, Epson, Hisense, JVC, LG, Optoma, Runco, SIM2 or Sony consumer projector and get 10% off the purchase of the Sony projectors on the left."

This applies to:
VW5000
VW995
VW695
VZ1000

Note
• Trade in Projectors must be Consumer/Home Projectors, not professional models.
• Sony reserves the right to end the promotion early with two weeks advanced notice.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »
I'd be eyeing eBay for a $30 used home theater projector to get that 10% off. Seems like a good deal if you were already considering a Sony projector. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2019, 05:17:27 PM »
Ha - dead projectors start flying off the shelf !

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2019, 06:00:40 AM »
I Used to be an owner of an 885es/ 760es and had issues with 3 of them. Sony was good too exchange them and I only had to add $4K to get a 995es / 870es Unfortunately that had problems as well. Optical block issue. The whole guts of the system. I would have to say Sony had great service and the projectors did throw a great picture unfortunately I just ended up with 4 duds. I ended up with a full refund but still its a damn shame. Apparently the 270es 570es 760es & the 870es have all the same internals bar 760es and 870es. Their difference was Laser and 870es having the lens. With the 760es and 870es with the amount they charge they should of had a much higher end optical block, processor etc. Just under the 5000es.

AVSMike

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2019, 09:10:57 AM »
I Used to be an owner of an 885es/ 760es and had issues with 3 of them. Sony was good too exchange them and I only had to add $4K to get a 995es / 870es Unfortunately that had problems as well. Optical block issue. The whole guts of the system. I would have to say Sony had great service and the projectors did throw a great picture unfortunately I just ended up with 4 duds. I ended up with a full refund but still its a damn shame. Apparently the 270es 570es 760es & the 870es have all the same internals bar 760es and 870es. Their difference was Laser and 870es having the lens. With the 760es and 870es with the amount they charge they should of had a much higher end optical block, processor etc. Just under the 5000es.
Sorry to hear about your projector problem. When these things happen it is always a hassle, just to exchange them, but at least you were well taken care of in the end. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal