AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread

Re: JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread
« Reply #585 on: February 16, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »
Going to receiving my rs1000 soon, within a day or two, and had a quick question. 

Regarding cinema and the user 1-6 presets. For 3D, it’s recommended to either use 1 of these and set them for 6500k and rec709. I read in a review somewhere that the user presets are 100-150 lumens brighter than cinema in high lamp. 

Now to my question. Since I’m not calibrating my projector, can I still use the user presets?  Same settings regarding color and such as long as both are set for 6500k and rec709

Thanks guys. Never used the user presets before

« Reply #586 on: February 19, 2021, 01:48:13 PM »
Ok. Been reading manni’s setting for gamma. For sdr he recommends 2.4 or custom with a +3 correction value. Did that. 

Now for hdr, he recommends a gamma of 2.4. Where do I go to select gamma for hdr?  Is this no longer an option since firmware 3.10 as its dynamic now?

« Reply #587 on: February 19, 2021, 02:23:50 PM »
Gamma is used with SDR. Many use SDR2020 to display HDR material as it works very good with the external processors such as MadVR and the Lumagen Pro. If you are using the JVC for DTM select HDR10 and use the frame by frame tone mapping. 

JohnG

Question about Screens
« Reply #588 on: February 22, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
While waiting for the next batch of NX7's to arrive, I've decided to replace my screen.  Can you help me decide?  Currently I have a 108" diagonal 16x9 screen.  Throw Distance is 15-feet.  I'd like to project CIH on a 2.35:1 screen. My choices are a 133" or a 115" diagonal Draper screen.  The 115" is actually less square feet than my current 108".  The 133 is 25% more area than the 108. 
Here's my question: will I be able to achieve a sharp image is I use the Zoom method on the 133" screen.  A 25% increase in size seems like a lot, though I'm currently showing a nice bright image at 108" on my DLA-x790r.  My concern is loosing sharpness if I jump to 133".
Also, I'm considering 2 screen materials from Draper's TecVision line: an ALR grey with 0.9 gain, and an ALR grey with 1.3 gain.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
JVC NX-7, Draper 132" 2.35 Screen, Panasonic DB-420 Player, Zidoo z9x Media Player with Synology NAS, Yamaha 2070 AVR, Zappiti 4K/HDR Mini Media Player, Martin-Logan 50xti Center Sprkr., 4x SVS Prime Elevation Spkrs, Paradigm Reference LR & 4 Surrounds, Paradigm & Polk Subs.  Dedicated HT Room

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Question about Screens
« Reply #589 on: February 22, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »
While waiting for the next batch of NX7's to arrive, I've decided to replace my screen.  Can you help me decide?  Currently I have a 108" diagonal 16x9 screen.  Throw Distance is 15-feet.  I'd like to project CIH on a 2.35:1 screen. My choices are a 133" or a 115" diagonal Draper screen.  The 115" is actually less square feet than my current 108".  The 133 is 25% more area than the 108. 
Here's my question: will I be able to achieve a sharp image is I use the Zoom method on the 133" screen.  A 25% increase in size seems like a lot, though I'm currently showing a nice bright image at 108" on my DLA-x790r.  My concern is loosing sharpness if I jump to 133".
Also, I'm considering 2 screen materials from Draper's TecVision line: an ALR grey with 0.9 gain, and an ALR grey with 1.3 gain.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
I used the zoom method for years. Yes, the picture will be just as sharp on a 133" scope screen I currently have a 128" diagonal scope screen. As for those Draper materials, I'm not familiar with them. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #590 on: February 22, 2021, 11:39:42 AM »
Why a grey screen? I've always felt a grey screen was a crutch for a low-contrast DLP and not needed with a high-contrast projector.

Are you going to have the projector properly calibrated?

JohnG

« Reply #591 on: February 22, 2021, 03:48:10 PM »
Why a grey screen? I've always felt a grey screen was a crutch for a low-contrast DLP and not needed with a high-contrast projector.

Are you going to have the projector properly calibrated?

Good Question.  The NX7 has less native contrast than my current x790r.  I thought a grey screen, 0.9 gain, would help restore some of the lost contrast.  At one time I had a Stewart Firehawk (grey) screen and absolutely loved the "pop" it provided.  My thought was to try to get closer to the look of the Firehawk, but without the premium Stewart price.  Does this make sense or should I go for a white screen with 1.3 gain?  In some ways, choosing a screen is harder than choosing a projector.  Most of us keep our screen longer than our projector.   Yes, once the projector reaches 100+ hours, it will be calibrated by an ISF certified calibrator.  I still like using JVC Auto Calibration, but only for Gamma droop.
JVC NX-7, Draper 132" 2.35 Screen, Panasonic DB-420 Player, Zidoo z9x Media Player with Synology NAS, Yamaha 2070 AVR, Zappiti 4K/HDR Mini Media Player, Martin-Logan 50xti Center Sprkr., 4x SVS Prime Elevation Spkrs, Paradigm Reference LR & 4 Surrounds, Paradigm & Polk Subs.  Dedicated HT Room

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #592 on: February 22, 2021, 04:39:53 PM »

Grey screens don't give you more contrast if your room has light control. They may make blacks darker, but they also make whites and colors equally darker. I'd get a StudioTek 130 G4 - at least get samples. We can send you some if you want. 

JohnG

« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2021, 11:42:32 AM »
Grey screens don't give you more contrast if your room has light control. They may make blacks darker, but they also make whites and colors equally darker. I'd get a StudioTek 130 G4 - at least get samples. We can send you some if you want.
Thanks, Craig, in the past I've found sample size pieces of screen material are not of sufficient size to be terribly revealing (at least to me). The arguments against using Grey material is compelling.  I'm ordering the Draper counterpart of the Stewart 130 (TecVision XT1300X White).  One of my business Client's is an A/V retailer/ISF installer and Draper is the line they sell.  Whenever possible, I try to give business to my Clients, particularly when they are local (and deliver/install).;)

« Reply #594 on: March 09, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
RS2000/NX7
I am having a very annoying problem, that seems to be caused by low frequency sounds at louder playback levels.  While I am watching movies and a exciting LFE moment happens the video cuts out on my projector and I have a blank screen while the projector re-syncs.  Most of the time the sound continues, but sometimes it kicks out as well.  It really is worse than it sounds because it happens at the most dynamic scenes. I have tried the the different HDMI ports on both the receiver (Denon 6700h) and NX-7 and really did not notice a difference.  It will happen regardless of source...oppo 103D, ATV 4K, or Panny 420.  I have replaced the Monoprice 4k60hz with RuiPro fiber 4k60hz cable running from the receiver to the ceiling mounted projector and that did not solve the problem.  
Any ideas on what to check next?  
I was convinced it was the disc skipping from the subwoofer vibrations but that does not seem to be the case.  
To make matters worse...it doesn't happen when I turn the volume down ;D.  Sometimes it will happen at less than 80db if the LFE is low enough.

« Reply #595 on: March 09, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »

Currently, I have a 106" (16:9) Elite Screens CineGrey 5D, which is great for ALR (ambient light rejection). I'm moving houses soon, and the new home will have a dedicated, light-controlled room in the basement, so I no longer need ALR. I'm looking to get a 16:9 135" screen. The width of the new HT room is  narrow (around 11.25'), and the room's length will be around 21'. I'm interested in an acoustically transparent screen so I can take full advantage of the width of the room, and also so that the center channel can be raised up since I'd like a 2nd row of seating (tiered up 8" or so). First row will probably be around 9' to 10' from screen.

I was looking at Stewart's web site, and it says that the StudioTek 130 G4 "can be perforated"?:

https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-130-g4

Anyone have experience on the perforated version of this screen? Wondering how much it adds to the cost.
Alternatively, anyone have other suggestions for acoustically transparent screens?

« Reply #596 on: March 09, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »
RS2000/NX7
I am having a very annoying problem, that seems to be caused by low frequency sounds at louder playback levels.  While I am watching movies and a exciting LFE moment happens the video cuts out on my projector and I have a blank screen while the projector re-syncs.  Most of the time the sound continues, but sometimes it kicks out as well.  It really is worse than it sounds because it happens at the most dynamic scenes. I have tried the the different HDMI ports on both the receiver (Denon 6700h) and NX-7 and really did not notice a difference.  It will happen regardless of source...oppo 103D, ATV 4K, or Panny 420.  I have replaced the Monoprice 4k60hz with RuiPro fiber 4k60hz cable running from the receiver to the ceiling mounted projector and that did not solve the problem. 
Any ideas on what to check next? 
I was convinced it was the disc skipping from the subwoofer vibrations but that does not seem to be the case. 
To make matters worse...it doesn't happen when I turn the volume down ;D.  Sometimes it will happen at less than 80db if the LFE is low enough.

Is it possible that low frequency sounds at loud playback levels is putting a strain on your power source, whether on the surge protector or the circuit itself? Can you try plugging in your subwoofer (or amp) to a differenct circuit than the projector?

« Reply #597 on: March 09, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
Randman,
Thanks a bunch for the reply and suggestion...I will give that a try as soon as I get home!
In the past I have been surprised just how few circuits there actually are in my house. 

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #598 on: March 09, 2021, 12:06:06 PM »
Currently, I have a 106" (16:9) Elite Screens CineGrey 5D, which is great for ALR (ambient light rejection). I'm moving houses soon, and the new home will have a dedicated, light-controlled room in the basement, so I no longer need ALR. I'm looking to get a 16:9 135" screen. The width of the new HT room is  narrow (around 11.25'), and the room's length will be around 21'. I'm interested in an acoustically transparent screen so I can take full advantage of the width of the room, and also so that the center channel can be raised up since I'd like a 2nd row of seating (tiered up 8" or so). First row will probably be around 9' to 10' from screen.

I was looking at Stewart's web site, and it says that the StudioTek 130 G4 "can be perforated"?:

https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-130-g4

Anyone have experience on the perforated version of this screen? Wondering how much it adds to the cost.
Alternatively, anyone have other suggestions for acoustically transparent screens?

It adds quite a bit of cost. Mike or myself could give you pricing - email us. There is also the V6 and V7 screen material - Screen Acoustics V6 - AVS Discussions (avscience.com)

« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2021, 04:24:24 PM »
Is it possible that low frequency sounds at loud playback levels is putting a strain on your power source, whether on the surge protector or the circuit itself? Can you try plugging in your subwoofer (or amp) to a differenct circuit than the projector?
The projector is on my garage circuit and everything else (receiver and subwoofers) are on the living room circuit.
I was really hoping that was it, but I will have to keep testing.
Thanks again,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal