AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread

Manni

Re: JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread
« Reply #255 on: June 01, 2019, 03:42:59 AM »
" Here is the firmware 2.07 that should solve the vertical lines/flashing menus issue which a few projectors have experienced. "
It also prevents from getting a garbled picture (wrong colorspace) when you send 4K 12bits 444 (RBG or YCC) and select manually for the colorspace setting in the JVC anything other than auto.

If you use 12bits, you should send YCC422 if at all possible to prevent an unnecessary chroma conversion because that’s the mode internally forced.

If you want/need RGB, 8bits is still recommended for now, especially on a HTPC for gaming/desktop use.

If you use “auto” for colorspace in the JVC when sending 12bits, V2.07 doesn’t change anything.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:46:41 AM by Manni »

TWISM

« Reply #256 on: June 03, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
I should be getting up my RS2000 before the weekend. I will be coming from a pretty decent sample VW695ES. The Sony does throw a great picture and if I had to nitpick it would be that I would like it to have a bit better native contrast, more coverage of P3, and I do notice some I think posterization when watching sports and there is some panning going on.

I think the RS2000 will be everything the Sony is, but will fix my nitpicking list above. I also heard from a few different people it should be a bit sharper which is also good.

It will be fed via a Lumagen Pro and one of the source devices is a Kalediscape Strato so I am sure it will throw a great image!
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 2080ti-  Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro

AVSMike

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
Have an RS1000 and a Panasonic UB9000 here for me to evaluate, but the new fiber optic cable (50') that I installed ahead of time was defective. New cable arrives today and then I have to install in the wall. Looking forward to seeing this unit in my home. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
I should be getting up my RS2000 before the weekend. I will be coming from a pretty decent sample VW695ES. The Sony does throw a great picture and if I had to nitpick it would be that I would like it to have a bit better native contrast, more coverage of P3, and I do notice some I think posterization when watching sports and there is some panning going on.

I think the RS2000 will be everything the Sony is, but will fix my nitpicking list above. I also heard from a few different people it should be a bit sharper which is also good.

It will be fed via a Lumagen Pro and one of the source devices is a Kalediscape Strato so I am sure it will throw a great image!

Be sure to update us with your findings. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts between these two excellent projectors.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

TWISM

« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »
Be sure to update us with your findings. I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts between these two excellent projectors.
I got it all setup and ran through a few clips and I am very surprised at how much better it is. The contrast is excellent, the sharpness is excellent and it just seems more crisp to me than the Sony. I do a bit of gaming so was worried about the input lag since I sometimes use Mouse and KB and I didn't notice a difference so that was good. 

Overall, I am very impressed. I also love how fast it switches formats vs the older models. 
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 2080ti-  Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro

AVSMike

« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
I got it all setup and ran through a few clips and I am very surprised at how much better it is. The contrast is excellent, the sharpness is excellent and it just seems more crisp to me than the Sony. I do a bit of gaming so was worried about the input lag since I sometimes use Mouse and KB and I didn't notice a difference so that was good.

Overall, I am very impressed. I also love how fast it switches formats vs the older models.
I think the only projector that competes against the RS2000 is the RS1000. The 2000 beats the Sony in contrast, sharpness, HDR tone mapping and price. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Getting a new RS1000
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
I'm getting a new RS1000. I'm looking for some setup tips please.
I'm in a complete light controlled room.
Carada BW 134" 16x9 screen
Pioneer Elite LX500 player
Denon x4200w AVR
Fiber HDMI Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 40 feet
17' throw, ceiling mounted.
I'll update to v2.07 before I do anything else.
Also, should I run in Hi Lamp mode?
Thanks, I appreciate any help.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:00:04 AM by Tom899 »
-Tom
JVC DLA-RS1000, Denon X4400H, Ruipro Fiber Optic, Pioneer UDP-LX500, ATV 4K, Roku Ultra 4K, Dune HD Smart D1, Buttkicker system, a bunch of Klipsch speakers and HSU subs

« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »
Damn! I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask a question about projector setup whilst providing room information, screen type, size, aspect, AND equipment AND projector placement AND throw! ;)

What color and/or treatments do you have on your walls, ceiling and floor? ::) Seating distance?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:28:13 AM by rob-houston »

« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »
Damn! I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask a question about projector setup whilst providing room information, screen type, size, aspect, AND equipment AND projector placement AND throw! ;)

What color and/or treatments do you have on your walls, ceiling and floor? ::) Seating distance?
Well, seems like after reading the forums for years, I try to think ahead of what most would ask. Thanks...

I'll try to include a picture. Walls are dark brown, ceiling black, floor is medium brown carpet.
Seating distance eye to screen is 14', but now that I'm moving to 4K I will consider moving my one row of four seats closer?
-Tom
JVC DLA-RS1000, Denon X4400H, Ruipro Fiber Optic, Pioneer UDP-LX500, ATV 4K, Roku Ultra 4K, Dune HD Smart D1, Buttkicker system, a bunch of Klipsch speakers and HSU subs

« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2019, 11:05:17 AM »
I wouldn't say your room has complete light control. You may be able to turn all the lights off but judging from your photos you don't have a way to control the light bouncing off your screen. The light hitting your screen will scatter, bounce off a wall/floor/ceiling and hit your screen again washing the image out to some degree. This is why soaking up stray/scattered light is important. Already in the photos you provide you can see light reflections on your walls. That would be my setup recommendation. Get some black velvet material and put it on all four surfaces around your screen at least a few feet in front of it.

I would also look into a different screen. Carada screens aren't opaque so if you don't have something behind your screen like black velvet, light will go through the screen, hit the wall behind it, bounce back and hit the screen again washing out the image a bit. Way back when I used a Carada screen I purchased black rubber spray and coated the back of the screen turning it opaque to help remove this issue. I was amazed at the difference this made.

I know you probably weren't expecting this much, but when you're using a projector of the RS1000's caliber, you're not going to get the most from it if you can't control ways the image can be washed out. The image will never look its best if you don't take the proper steps.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:00:24 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »
If you're looking for something to use to soak up light, I use this in my theater. It works extremely well and is very cheap to some of the other alternatives out there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEJSG90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
I wouldn't say your room has complete light control. You may be able to turn all the lights off but judging from your photos you don't have a way to control the light bouncing off your screen. The light hitting your screen will scatter, bounce off a wall/floor/ceiling and hit your screen again washing the image out to some degree. This is why soaking up stray/scattered light is important. Already in the photos you provide you can see light reflections on your walls. That would be my setup recommendation. Get some black velvet material and put it on all four surfaces around your screen at least a few feet in front of it.

I would also look into a different screen. Carada screens aren't opaque so if you don't have something behind your screen like black velvet, light will go through the screen, hit the wall behind it, bounce back and hit the screen again washing out the image a bit. Way back when I used a Carada screen I purchased black rubber spray and coated the back of the screen turning it opaque to help remove this issue. I was amazed at the difference this made.

I know you probably weren't expecting this much, but when you're using a projector of the RS1000's caliber, you're not going to get the most from it if you can't control ways the image can be washed out. The image will never look its best if you don't take the proper steps.
Thanks! Yes, already started on the velvet treatment, makes a big difference! I originally draped my speakers and subwoofers and noticed how they just disappear. So doing the walls and ceiling...
I was hoping for some RS1000 OOTB setup tips. I sent a letter to Chad for a calibration, after about 100 hours, about 20 days or so.
-Tom

« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
If you're looking for something to use to soak up light, I use this in my theater. It works extremely well and is very cheap to some of the other alternatives out there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEJSG90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! I bought some at Joann Fabrics, I'll try this, I need more...
-Tom

« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »
Thanks! Yes, already started on the velvet treatment, makes a big difference! I originally draped my speakers and subwoofers and noticed how they just disappear. So doing the walls and ceiling...
I was hoping for some RS1000 OOTB setup tips. I sent a letter to Chad for a calibration, after about 100 hours, about 20 days or so.

OOTB using a User picture mode with the D6500/REC709 white balance and color gamut mode should yield the best results if you aren't calibrating.  For gamma choose either a 2.2 or 2.4 preset mode. Turn the MPC settings to 0 except maybe the Enhance setting to 1 or 2. Turn CMD off if you want accurate looking motion and enable the dynamic iris choosing mode 2.

That's about it. There shouldn't be too many other settings that need to be adjusted or changed from their defaults.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:38:19 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »
OOTB using a User picture mode with the D6500/REC709 white balance and color gamut mode should yield the best results if you aren't calibrating.  For gamma choose either a 2.2 or 2.4 preset mode. Turn the MPC settings to 0 except maybe the Enhance setting to 1 or 2. Turn CMD off if you want accurate looking motion and enable the dynamic iris choosing mode 2.

That's about it. There shouldn't be too many other settings that need to be adjusted or changed from their defaults.
Thanks! This is what I will do.
-Tom

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal