AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC RS3000

Re: JVC RS3000
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2020, 10:06:36 PM »
Rob, Sony is sending me a VPL-VW995ES to review. So I can provide some interesting info on that when it arrives either today or tomorrow. :)
I'll be *real* interested in hearing your thoughts, observations and impressions on it vs your JVC RS3000.  I'd also welcome any comments on the Sony vs the RS2000 (I think you no longer have it around, but at least based on your memory, and whatever testing/photos you did).

« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2020, 10:24:33 PM »
I had the 995es, unfortunately it had issues with the optical block. The DFO caused more issues than what it was good for. The Pq was sensational especially the bright light scenes. The dark scenes I battled the dreaded macroblocking. I had to change it too 10 bit  but too eliminate banding.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:16:16 AM by Franin »

« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »
FedEx is having delivery issues. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but it's still a state away the last time I checked. Maybe tomorrow it'll be delivered. This virus and people panic buying goods isn't helping...
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
DOH! I thought you were talking about CEDIA.
It was really interesting going back and forth between the RS1000 and the VW655, but now I see why they didn't use an RS2000 - that would have been an unfair fight.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2020, 07:21:32 AM »
It was really interesting going back and forth between the RS1000 and the VW655, but now I see why they didn't use an RS2000 - that would have been an unfair fight.
Yeah, we'll have to see how the 995ES fares. For the price, I'm expecting something closer in performance to my nearly half-the-cost NX9/RS3000. The 995ES should be here today. Just in time for a nice long weekend of "shelter in place" movie viewing in the theater.

With everything closed and nothing to do but stay inside during this crisis, who else is glad they own a theater in their house?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »
Definitely glad I have an HT. Wife, daughter and future son in law watched Knives out last night (I had already seen it). We have been using the theater pretty much every night. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
Yeah, we'll have to see how the 995ES fares. For the price, I'm expecting something closer in performance to my nearly half-the-cost NX9/RS3000. The 995ES should be here today. Just in time for a nice long weekend of "shelter in place" movie viewing in the theater.

With everything closed and nothing to do but stay inside during this crisis, who else is glad they own a theater in their house?
Since my wife can't go to conferences or meetings, I might get her caught up on new ( and not so new ) movies. I have 23 films she hasn't seen just for starters ! So yes - glad I have a theater ! 

« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2020, 10:25:47 PM »
Decided to rewatch Mad Max Fury Road tonight. What a completely different experience through the NX9 + madVR dynamic tonemapping with the UHD Blu-ray. On top of that, this was the first time watching this with my new subs. Holy cow did this movie have bass. It was almost nonstop from start to finish.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2020, 02:45:01 PM »
Having some fun swapping between these projectors today to do some comparisons for my 995ES review.

This picture had to be taken for sheer awesomeness. Sony VPL-VW995ES on top, JVC DLA-NX9 in the middle, and Runco VX-11D on the bottom:

https://i.imgur.com/9syXulo.jpg
JVC RS3000

The Sony is mighty impressive. But I have to keep in mind the huge price difference between it and the NX9. I'd say the 995ES has a very slight edge in lens quality. Or it's just unit to unit variance. It seems to have just a slight edge focusing down on pixels more. But we're splitting hairs here. Both have a great lens. I have basically every processing feature turned off. Reality Creation, digital focus optimizer, ect. It is NOT needed with this projector. The amazing lens gives you all the sharpness you could ever ask for, without the negative side effects these digital sharpeners have on the image.

To be able to use the dual iris/contrast system, you're forced to use "Full" mode, which turns off the laser for an all black screen. I just don't think the next level up past black is dark enough to do the fade to black convincingly. It's plainly obvious sometimes that there is a dynamic contrast system in use, which can't be said with the JVC in most cases. I do think JVC has surpassed Sony when it comes to dynamic contrast systems, at least for the present. I just see less signs of a dynamic contrast system when watching the NX9.

Above black, with mixed APL content, the 995ES looks marvelous. Tons of pop. Better than my NX9. A bit more of that "looking through a window" quality. Banding/posterization isn't as bad as it used to be. As good as the 695ES I reviewed last year. I still don't think it should be an issue, especially for a $35,000 projector, but at least it isn't as bad as it used to be.

The NX9 does 24p cadence better. There's more noticeable 24p judder on the Sony, so pans are smoother on the NX9. 

More to come in my review.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:22:37 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2020, 04:20:00 PM »
Now that looks like fun Dylan ! 8)

AVSMike

« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »
Having some fun swapping between these projectors today to do some comparisons for my 995ES review.

This picture had to be taken for sheer awesomeness. Sony VPL-VW995ES on top, JVC DLA-NX9 in the middle, and Runco VX-11D on the bottom:

JVC RS3000

The Sony is mighty impressive. But I have to keep in mind the huge price difference between it and the NX9. I'd say the 995ES has a very slight edge in lens quality. Or it's just unit to unit variance. It seems to have just a slight edge focusing down on pixels more. But we're splitting hairs here. Both have a great lens. I have basically every processing feature turned off. Reality Creation, digital focus optimizer, ect. It is NOT needed with this projector. The amazing lens gives you all the sharpness you could ever ask for, without the negative side effects these digital sharpeners have on the image.

To be able to use the dual iris/contrast system, you're forced to use "Full" mode, which turns off the laser for an all black screen. I just don't think the next level up past black is dark enough to do the fade to black convincingly. It's plainly obvious sometimes that there is a dynamic contrast system in use, which can't be said with the JVC in most cases. I do think JVC has surpassed Sony when it comes to dynamic contrast systems, at least for the present. I just see less signs of a dynamic contrast system when watching the NX9.

Above black, with mixed APL content, the 995ES looks marvelous. Tons of pop. Better than my NX9. A bit more of that "looking through a window" quality. Banding/posterization isn't as bad as it used to be. As good as the 695ES I reviewed last year. I still don't think it should be an issue, especially for a $35,000 projector, but at least it isn't as bad as it used to be.

The NX9 does 24p cadence better. There's more noticeable 24p judder on the Sony, so pans are smoother on the NX9. 

It could also be the light path. The 4500 and the RS3000 use the same lens and yet the 4500 with test patterns looks tiny bit better on average. JVC said the light path in the 4500 is slightly more optimized than the light path in the 3000. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »

JVC RS3000

Above black, with mixed APL content, the 995ES looks marvelous. Tons of pop. Better than my NX9. A bit more of that "looking through a window" quality. Banding/posterization isn't as bad as it used to be. As good as the 695ES I reviewed last year. I still don't think it should be an issue, especially for a $35,000 projector, but at least it isn't as bad as it used to be.

Looks like you got a winner their :) I agree with the tons of pop ( beauty of laser ) but I found the dark scenes is where they failed. Well mine did I had macro blocking and spent a lot of time tweaking it, especially with the Panasonic UB9000. Like the JVC these units are like lottery tickets hope you get a winner :)

« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2020, 04:23:51 PM »
It could also be the light path. The 4500 and the RS3000 use the same lens and yet the 4500 with test patterns looks tiny bit better on average. JVC said the light path in the 4500 is slightly more optimized than the light path in the 3000.
Could be, though I'm up close to the screen pixel peeping. From a seated distance back, I don't think it's really possible to discern the difference in lens sharpness with video content. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #223 on: April 06, 2020, 09:56:12 PM »
Could be, though I'm up close to the screen pixel peeping. From a seated distance back, I don't think it's really possible to discern the difference in lens sharpness with video content.
Exact same thing when looking at the RS4500 and the RS3000 and they have the same lens. Only difference is the light path. Only way to see any difference is pixel peeping test patterns.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »
That makes sense. I'm sure the optical block inside the RS4500 is of higher quality. It gives the lens a better starting point.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal