AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Recommendations?

Spike

Re: Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »

Thanks for the comment about now liking the curved screen.  Hesitation over that has been my greatest hold back on this one.  I really need to see them out of the big box showroom.

To be completely honest with you, I liked what the specs were and what this TV offered, but .. that curve was an issue for me.  Now, to be 100% honest with you, I don't even know that it is there.  I also recommended the curve to a friend of mine in Thailand.  He was hesitant too, yet made the purchase.  Now, he tells me that curved is the only way he'll go from now on.  He loves it...

the 9000 is really a great tv.  I did like the Samsung 9500 a touch better, but. whoa! that price was a real barrier that I just couldn't make it over.  And now that I have the 9000, I have zero regrets.
Cubs Fan Since Birth! Finally Rewarded.. Go Cubs!
Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV
Favorite Streaming Service: Deezer through Heos

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 03:24:44 PM »
Ok, so I've done my due diligence (hours and hours and hours...) and have come up with what I believe will be a winner for me.  I'm going to shelve my impatience and wait until (probably April) and get the 2017 LG OLED65B7P.  For my part, I think this probably the best and most "future-proof" option (not that there is such a thing as future-proof).  I like the late 2016 reviews and comparisond with LCD options, the slight improvement in the 2017 specs, all the support for the various HDR options,  the thoughts I've received from current OLED owners who share my lighting conditions and the availability through Costco with its advantages.  The "package" makes it right for me even though I could save some with the 2016. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:26:38 PM by richlife69 »
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »
Well a little time and significantly more forum input has a way of changing perspective.   Despite my previous way of thinking, lots of B6 owners and the recent article by David Katzmaier resulted in a change of heart, has put savings at the fore and will bring me an OLED65B6 this week -- in time for Super Bowl (nice, but hardly a deciding factor) and a box set of Game of Thrones 1-6.  In the end, the one factor that still had me holding out for a 2017 was the rumored DV calibration feature.  I figure that, one way or another, I will eventually manage that -- maybe after we finally get some Dolby Vision disc content...  I'll be waiting.

Meanwhile, before 2017 models hit -- at whatever price -- I will have been enjoying the new OLED for months. 
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

AVSMike

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
The upscaling on the Sony XBR-xxx930E is very good and it will do Dolby Vision. It is also very bright at 1,500 nits. The other good option is one of the LG OLED TV's. There are better options, but at much higher price points.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal