AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC Autocal Software V12 calibration for 2019 RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/NX5/NX7/NX9

Manni

If I run an autocal with BT2020 (filter on), does it mean using a mode with the DCI-P3 filter would also be autocal'd since it is also a filter?
For gamma, yes, but not for color as it's not the same gamut.

Just to confirm, should I be setting as follows?

GPU - RGB/Full
madvr - 16-235
JVC proj - 16-235

Manni

Just to confirm, should I be setting as follows?

GPU - RGB/Full
madvr - 16-235
JVC proj - 16-235
It depends on the GPU, the driver, the OS, the bit depth, but theoretically, that's one of the options, the other being FULL/FULLL/FULL (when it works). This is why I don't answer madVR questions here. It would immediately derail the thread, there is never a simple answer to a madVR question :)
I see that some of your questions are not answered in the madvr thread you posted in. This is because that thread is reserved to only tonemapping testing feedback. It's not a support thread for madVR. Here is how it works:
This thread: JVC autocal and calibration. No madVR generic support question, like the one you just asked.
The madVR thread where you posted in and didn't get any answer: only feedback for madshi re the current test build and the specific features he is asking to test, or suggestions on how to improve it.
Anything else madVR related, please ask in a madVR support thread, either on Doom9 or elsewhere, including in the forum where you posted (there is a madVR support thread there).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:34:01 AM by Manni »

This is highly unusual.

First, the brightness control should allow you to get the blackest black. On these units, it needs to be set to -2 or -3 most of the time, but there is unit to unit variation.

If you can get a blacker level with hide, something is wrong. Are you sure that your levels are set correctly? Try to force HDMI to standard or enhanced, or set it to AUTO and see if it makes a difference.

If the PJ is set to the correct levels for the source with the correct brightness setting, what you describe shouldn't happen.

Second, the JVC Autocal should be able to correct almost any gamma droop, but gamma doesn't (or shouldn't) affect contrast, as gamma only adjusts between black and white. It doesn't touch black or white, so shouldn't really have much of an impact on contrast.

Brightness will control black and contrast white.

If you use offsets wrongly (for example, by adding instead of substracting values), you can raise your black levels.

If you set gains wrongly you can also lower your contrast.

But a gamma autocal, while it will restore picture depth especially in the high end, because that's where the droop happens (levels at 70-95 are too high, gamma is too low, and the picture lacks depth), it should not change on/off contrast.

So my advice is:

1) Switch the DI off. It's irrelevant for now.
2) Check your levels with a  black levels pattern. 16 and below should be black (not grey). 17 just above black, unless that raise the black levels at 16, in which case crush it. My recommendation is to set the source to standard (GPU full and madVR 16-235 if you use madVR) and the PJ to standard, but ideally test with a non HTPC source because levels can be wrong on a HTPC depending on the OS and GPU driver, so let's rule this out for now.
3) Adjust brightness so that using hide doesn't make any difference. For most, with the correct levels, it has to be set to -2 or -3.
4) You should get a native on off at the same level as what you measure with "hide", 47,000:1 native with the iris on -7 sounds a bit high but if you are at long throw, much closer to what it should be than 4000:1, which cannot be correct.
5) Once you get a basic working baseline, run a gamma autocal to get rid of the gamma droop. You should get a picture with more depth, but it shouldn't improve your on/off significantly.

Please let us know once you've checked your levels and set brightness correctly if you still have this issue.

You might have to use a difference source, reset the PJ settings to factory default or take the Radiance out until you get a proper baseline, then once you've identified the culprit, work out the reason.

There is no point in running an autocal if you have 4,000:1 native contrast with your current settings. That won't change with an autocal, so there is an incorrect setting somewhere.
Just checked my new RS2000 for this issue and I have it as well. Correct levels are set, lowering the brightness setting doesn't fix it. Here are the contrast numbers I just measured at the lens with my Minolta CL200. To be sure it wasn't my calibration raising the level of black, I put the projector back to it's default out of the box settings. I measured these contrast numbers in high lamp mode, lens at minimum zoom and the iris closed at -15.

Normal video test patterns - 67,000:1 calibrated contrast.

Using the Hide button for black level reading: 89,750:1 calibrated contrast

Uncalibrated OOTB with Hide Button: 100,500:1 contrast

It seems like I'm getting a raised black floor for some reason. I wonder if this is firmware related? Also, for context, my unit was manufactured in June this year.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:56:52 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Is restoring the init file to the projector to go back to factory defaults as simple as just importing the init file using JVC autocal?

I get 74 nits in low lamp with the filter (BT2020) & 91 nits without the filter (HDR).  My bulb has 100 hrs on it.

I'd like to continue running in low lamp.

Is BT2020 considered worth it for the drop in brightness in this setup?

Also, linked to this question, I too wanted to create a DCI-P3 mode but I only get 72 nits with the DCI filter.  Should I continue pursuing creating this mode and the DCI-P3 3DLUT along with it over just running it without filter?

About entering a screen type code, I did a full autocal and then put up a 100% pattern and lost brightness when employing the screen adjustment that matched my screen type, so I kept it off.

This was after doing a color calibration with a Spyder5Pro.

Now how this new version of Autoval will works with Frame Adapt HDR calibration? Does eny one check it?

Thank you

Now how this new version of Autoval will works with Frame Adapt HDR calibration? Does eny one check it?

Thank you

Well it says right in the manual:

"Calibration does not work when Picture Mode has been set to Frame Adapt HDR. Set to another Picture Mode."

Well it says right in the manual:

"Calibration does not work when Picture Mode has been set to Frame Adapt HDR. Set to another Picture Mode."
WTF?!?!

Am I reading that correctly? Can't use the calibrations when using Frame Adapt DTM? That can't be right. Or does that mean you need to calibrate first and then switch to Frame Adapt?

WTF?!?!

Am I reading that correctly? Can't use the calibrations when using Frame Adapt DTM? That can't be right. Or does that mean you need to calibrate first and then switch to Frame Adapt?
I believe you can't RUN calibration when in Frame Adapt DTM, but I haven't checked so I don't know.
Waiting for my SpyderX.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:17:19 AM by RamsX »

Correct, it's clear you cannot run autocal with the projector in Frame Adapt HDR mode.

But someone will have to test to see what happens to the calibration in general that was performed in another mode, when measured with the projector in Frame Adapt HDR mode to see that everything carries over.

I'll test the Spyder X and 1IPro2 with the new software later tonight if I can get a few minutes.

What GAMA than Frame Adapt DTM will use? If i will calibrate gama 2.2 will this have some efect on Frame Adapt DTM? Realy dont know...

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal