AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC Autocal Software V12 calibration for 2019 RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/NX5/NX7/NX9

Manni

Manni, just to add to the compliments, but you are amazing at providing detailed instructions and helping out the community immensely. I nominate you for "Member of the Decade!" :)
Thanks Dave, sounds like an Austin Powers title. Nice, but a bit over the top :)

Have you had a chance to get your hands on a new JVC yet? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Manni

Just to say that I had a healthy exchange of PMs with @Bobof.

I've edited my reply to him above as I understand the intention behind his comment better. He explained to me why he made it that way, and I explained to him why I reacted the way I did. We've put this behind us and hopefully we'll find a better way to interact in the future. He is certainly welcome to contribute his knowledge and experience to the thread, and I hope that he will.

I also agree that the information regarding accuracy in the contrast measurements table isn't useful to others. It's a leftover in my spreadsheet. I'll take it out.

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain why I reacted the way I did, clear the air and to lay some ground rules for a positive atmosphere in this thread.

I spend hundred of hours collecting this data and sharing it with others, for the benefit of the community.

This isn't my job. I don't work for JVC. I am just passionate about film and trying to get the most out of my projector.

Because I spend a lot of time doing this (frankly, more than I would want to), I'm trying to share my findings, hoping it will help others to save time and get better results.

I hope that it's useful, and some of you have kindly expressed this.

I may know a thing or two, but I don't believe that I know everything or that I'm always right. I have and will make mistakes.

Everything I know, I learned from others over the years, and mostly from knowledgeable, experienced people in various forums. I still learn all the time regarding this topic and I did recently from people like Bobof, Dominic Chan, Kris Deering, David Vaughn, Chad B, LovingDVD and many others. I am very grateful for the time, knowledge and experience they generously share with others.

If there is a factual mistake in the data that I share or in my comments, I do want it to be corrected. This is called AV Science Discussions, not AV Nonsense Discussions. You can decide about the best way to do so. You can contact me by PM, or you can post in the thread. Both are fine.

However, here is what I am asking for:

• Before posting a correction, please read all the information. I rarely post just measurements, they usually come with comments. Both the measurements and the comments are to be looked at together.
  • If you are suggesting a correction, please be polite, constructive and respectful.
  • If the only thing you have to say after reading the information shared here is negative or is nitpicking, it won't go well. If it's repeatedly negative, without any positive comment, it will be worse. That's just the way I am. If there is nothing of value for you and no gross misinformation here, no one is forcing you to follow the thread.
  • If you question the data, please take your own measurements and provide them or offer a link towards such information, instead of questioning for the sake of it or asking me to do more work to prove or disprove your hypothesis. I've done my homework, and shared it. Please do yours and share it too, that's absolutely fine.
  • Any useful information posted in the thread (measurements, data, how to, pictures) will be linked to in the second post, so that over time every significant contribution - from anyone - is made easily accessible.
  • If you find the information useful, please say so. You don't have to post praise constantly, I'm not fishing for compliments, but you can "like" a post you find informative or useful if you don't feel like posting. It does help the poster (not necessarily me) to see that their contribution is appreciated.
  • If you have on topic questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are lots of people following this thread who can and will help.
  • If you can help, don't hesitate to contribute. My goal isn't to be the only one to provide advice here, on the contrary. Many knowledgeable people are following this thread. I hope that they will all contribute. It is a public, open forum.
  • If you can provide your own data and measurements, don't hesitate to post them, even if they contradict mine. There are lots of differences between units, methodology, tools used and we don't all get the same results. Posting your own data will always be welcome and will always be useful. But please don't make contradicting claims without backing them up with data. I provide a lot of data. If you want to question it, provide your own, or a reference to data published elsewhere, and then we can discuss. That's the way science can progress.
  • Again, criticism is fine as long as it's done in a polite, constructive and respectful way.
  • Trolling is when you repeatedly post rude or negative comments, when you make an unprovoked personal attack, or are contradicting the data provided here without providing any data, reference or measurements to back up your claim.
  • Any trolling, insulting, gratuitously negative comment will be removed and the poster will be warned.
  • Any repeat offending and the poster will be banned from the thread, without further warning.
  • Finally, I'm not perfect and I sometimes overreact or come across as patronizing, which isn't my intention. I might even have done so in this post. For this, I apologize. I will try to improve.

If we stick to these ground rules, I'm hoping that the thread will blossom with everyone's contributions. :)

Of course, getting a working version of the software will help even more. Hopefully, soon.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:49:05 AM by Manni »

Manni

Well, that happened faster than expected :)

Both the f/w and the Autocal software have been updated:

New firmware V2.01

Changelog:

・Added color profile exclusively to use with Panasonic UHD-BD player to obtain optimum HDR image quality.
・Specification change that enables each gamma adjustment setting whilst using auto tone mapping function
・Addition of new screens for screen adjustment mode
・Improved operation stability

New JVC Autocal software V1.10

I'll take a look as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:58:23 AM by Manni »

Manni

Unfortunately for now it's a no go. :(

The new Autocal version needs the new f/w, and I can't get the RS2000 to detect my USB drive.

It's FAT32 formatted (freshly, with defaults), the f/w folder is the only folder in the drive, as per the instructions.

No file or folder name was modified.

I tried inserting it when the PJ is off, switching the PJ on, and tried to initiate the f/w update. Not detected.

I also tried to hot plug it, not detected either.

Initially, I was using a short USB extension for easy access, but I tried a direct connection and that makes no difference.

I tried with an active HDMI input and without an active HDMI input.

I'll try with another USB drive, otherwise I don't see what more I can do.

If anyone has success updating the f/w to V2.01, please let us know.

EDIT:

I tried the same USB Drive after a full power off cycle, it didn't help.

I tried a different USB drive (same FAT32 format, same update folder), and it worked right away, even hot-plugging, even with the short USB extension for easy access.

So for some reason it doesn't seem to like my Sandisk 16Gb thumbdrive that I'm using for calibration related duties.

It did like the old 8gb thumbdrive Sandisk Cruzer I took out of my Dune.

Time estimated: 20 minutes!

It is a slow drive... The three LEDs are flashing in sequence, from right to left, so all is good for now.

If your drive isn't detected and you've followed the instructions, then try another one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:30:23 AM by Manni »

AVSMike

Well, that happened faster than expected :)

Both the f/w and the Autocal software have been updated:

New firmware V2.01

Changelog:

・Added color profile exclusively to use with Panasonic UHD-BD player to obtain optimum HDR image quality.
・Specification change that enables each gamma adjustment setting whilst using auto tone mapping function
・Addition of new screens for screen adjustment mode
・Improved operation stability

New JVC Autocal software V1.10

I'll take a look as soon as I can.
Been waiting for this. Will solve the slow start up time several are having. Will solve the problem of reloading the INIT file for autocal. Adds the color profiles for the Panasonic players. It does not address the yellowing problem. 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

bobof

Just to say that I had a healthy exchange of PMs with @Bobof.
Thanks for posting Manni.  I had thought about posting in the thread after our PMs but I didn't want to add noise into the thread, and I was happy to take on board some of the points raised.  Anyway, onwards and upwards; good luck with the autocal mission. :) 

I'd like to learn how to properly use autocal.

I am new to JVC and just bought a Spyder5.  From what I understand, it's really only worth doing a gamma cal with a spyder5 due to it not being accurate enough for color.

I have not tried using autocal yet.  Is it clear how to just tell it to do a gamma cal?

Also, I don't know anything about this INIT file in case I want or need to revert my calibration?

Can anyone give me like a few tips on these topics?  Sorry if this is slightly off topic.  I will actually be calibrating my cousins RS400 for the first time tomorrow, but I just got my NX5 and will be using autocal on it as well.

My past experience is just in using HCFR to do a grayscale white balance calibration and adjusting the RGB gain and offset and storing it in Custom 1 and 2 color temps.

For autocal, where does it store gamma calibrations and color calibrations?  Can you run it for both high and low bulb and store different results to use in your user modes and installation modes?

Normally I learn this stuff just playing around, but I don't want to mess up anything too bad, especially when I don't even fully understand the reset procedure yet.

AVSMike

Unfortunately for now it's a no go. :(

The new Autocal version needs the new f/w, and I can't get the RS2000 to detect my USB drive.

It's FAT32 formatted (freshly, with defaults), the f/w folder is the only folder in the drive, as per the instructions.

No file or folder name was modified.

I tried inserting it when the PJ is off, switching the PJ on, and tried to initiate the f/w update. Not detected.

I also tried to hot plug it, not detected either.

Initially, I was using a short USB extension for easy access, but I tried a direct connection and that makes no difference.

I tried with an active HDMI input and without an active HDMI input.

I'll try with another USB drive, otherwise I don't see what more I can do.

If anyone has success updating the f/w to V2.01, please let us know.

EDIT:

I tried the same USB Drive after a full power off cycle, it didn't help.

I tried a different USB drive (same FAT32 format, same update folder), and it worked right away, even hot-plugging.

So for some reason it doesn't seem to like my Sandisk 16Gb thumbdrive that I'm using for calibration related duties.

It did like the old 8gb thumbdrive I took out from my Dune.

Time estimated: 20 minutes!

It is a slow drive... The three LEDs are flashing in sequence, from right to left, so all is good for now.

If your drive isn't detected and you've followed the instructions, then try another one.
I checked with my one of my contacts at JVC. He said he saw the new autocal in action Wednesday.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Manni

I checked with my one of my contacts at JVC. He said he saw the new autocal in action Wednesday.
Thanks Mike. You might have missed the end of my edit, the f/w update went fine when I tried a different USB Drive :)

The first drive is fine, so no idea why it wasn't detected.

Anyway, it took a while, but the update completed fine and the PJ switched itself off.

When I switched the PJ back on, the iris made a weird noise (hopefully a one-off) and I now have the new f/w and Autocal installed (see screenshots).

I'll give the Autocal a try ASAP, hopefully tonight.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:08:11 AM by Manni »

Manni

I'd like to learn how to properly use autocal.

I am new to JVC and just bought a Spyder5.  From what I understand, it's really only worth doing a gamma cal with a spyder5 due to it not being accurate enough for color.

I have not tried using autocal yet.  Is it clear how to just tell it to do a gamma cal?

Also, I don't know anything about this INIT file in case I want or need to revert my calibration?

Can anyone give me like a few tips on these topics?  Sorry if this is slightly off topic.  I will actually be calibrating my cousins RS400 for the first time tomorrow, but I just got my NX5 and will be using autocal on it as well.

My past experience is just in using HCFR to do a grayscale white balance calibration and adjusting the RGB gain and offset and storing it in Custom 1 and 2 color temps.

For autocal, where does it store gamma calibrations and color calibrations?  Can you run it for both high and low bulb and store different results to use in your user modes and installation modes?

Normally I learn this stuff just playing around, but I don't want to mess up anything too bad, especially when I don't even fully understand the reset procedure yet.
Hi Sirmaster,

I and others will soon post some advice about using the Autocal now that we have (hopefully) a safe and working version.

In the meantime, please read the user manual linked to in the second post, as it will give you an answer to quite a few of these questions. Feel free to read any of the already "live" links in the index, as that might provide further relevant information.

I will post in the thread when I update one of the topics in the reserved posts, so just be patient! :).

Manni

Thanks for posting Manni.  I had thought about posting in the thread after our PMs but I didn't want to add noise into the thread, and I was happy to take on board some of the points raised.  Anyway, onwards and upwards; good luck with the autocal mission. :)
Thanks and likewise :)

Manni

I had a problem initially because the IP address had for some reason reverted to my rs500, which is still on the network. So I was getting an "OK" reply, but not for/from the right projector, which led to a model mismatch error (error in detecting the model)...

With the IP address pointing to the rs2000, there is no issue and the new Autocal seems to be ready to go. :)

Hopefully it won't revert to the rs500 IP address again, or I'll have to disconnect the rs500 when calibrating the rs2000, and vice-versa.

Both meters (Spyder 5 Pro and i1pro2) detected, I'll give it a try later...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:54:59 AM by Manni »

AVSMike

Thanks Mike. You might have missed the end of my edit, the f/w update went fine when I tried a different USB Drive :)

The first drive is fine, so no idea why it wasn't detected.

Anyway, it took a while, but the update completed fine and the PJ switched itself off.

When I switched the PJ back on, the iris made a weird noise (hopefully a one-off) and I now have the new f/w and Autocal installed (see screenshots).

I'll give the Autocal a try ASAP, hopefully tonight.
Yes, saw that after the fact. :) JVC always says to try another USB. I do not understand why some work and some don't. 

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Manni

Yes, saw that after the fact. :) JVC always says to try another USB. I do not understand why some work and some don't.
No problem. I've updated the FAQ with the two minor issues I experienced today (one re the f/w update and the USB driver detection, the other with the mis-detection of my model due to the IP address reverting to my rs500).

Overall, especially if you have a USB driver that the JVC likes, the f/w update is a much nicer procedure than with older models. It takes a while, so you have to be patient, but it's straighforward.

Manni

I did a first quick attempt for my rec-709 calibration (low lamp, iris -12, peak 65nits) with what should have, in theory, provided the best results:

- Gamma autocal with the Spyder 5 Pro facing the PJ
- Color only (gamut + white point) autocal with the i1pro2 facing the screen.

The gamma autocal result was decent but not great. Correcting 100% white manually did improve things, but still not the kind of results I'm used to get with the older models

The color autocal had one positive effect, it pushed my undersaturated red slightly closer to target, so I ended up with 99% gamut cover. Unfortunately, the error on 100% white was huge (3dE) and overall the calibration wasn't a massive improvement.

It's honestly not good enough to document, so while I have measurements I won't share them.

I'll wait to see if any experienced user can get good results.
One thing to keep in mind if you want to try with the i1pro2, it has to be on its plate when you select it, and you have to press the button right away to do a white calibration. Otherwise, the software will tell you it can't find the meter.

That's not ideal, it should first detect the meter, and then ask for a white calibration.

Also, with the i1pro2 about two feet from the screen and reading 65nits, it was not possible to get the meter within the box. I'll try with my HDR calibration, I might get better results with the iris fully open.

Mike, if JVC wants any details or data on these underwhelming results, please let me know how they want me to communicate them.

I'll make another attempt over the week-end if I can, but right now I am not convinced it's working as it should, or I might be missing something.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:03:31 AM by Manni »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal